Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe people genuinely thought Murray would throw away his 1st match. People on here said they could see him losing his 1st match to get extra grass practice. I can't believe people genuinely thought that. Here he is 5 matches later and he's still in. I however want Monfils to win their match up. Don't like Murray and it would be good to see Monfils, a frenchie get through to the semis. The atmosphere would be electric on Fri against either Spaniard if he did. So for both reasons-C-mon Monfils.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe people genuinely thought Murray would throw away his 1st match. People on here said they could see him losing his 1st match to get extra grass practice. I can't believe people genuinely thought that. Here he is 5 matches later and he's still in. I however want Monfils to win their match up. Don't like Murray and it would be good to see Monfils, a frenchie get through to the semis. The atmosphere would be electric on Fri against either Spaniard if he did. So for both reasons-C-mon Monfils.

It could happen. Expect anything with Monfils especially in Paris.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Great job, knew if he was fully fit he'd likely take it in 4 max and it was very comprehensive to be fair

Monfils next, expect Murray to come through that and it'll be very interesting to see how he does v Rafa

I suspect he won't be too disappointed to go out at semis here, it's been a very positive week, has gained a lot of points and should be in a good position to defend his W'don crown
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably Murray's greatest ever FO performance that
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love Andy and I would like him to win the next match BUT because I love, love, love and adore Rafa if Rafa manages to get rid of David who is the better semi final for ma honey? I am not sure and some people think he has an easy draw, I would swap for Thomas and Raonic the robot any time!

That match was Awesome! Well done Andy. :D
  • Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Probably Murray's greatest ever FO performance that

really refreshing to see him hit aggressive continually. against kohl he was way too defensive

the moonballing in the tie break was an interesting tactic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    really refreshing to see him hit aggressive continually. against kohl he was way too defensive

The moonballing was hilarious!
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    I love Andy and I would like him to win the next match BUT because I love, love, love and adore Rafa if Rafa manages to get rid of David who is the better semi final for ma honey? I am not sure and some people think he has an easy draw, I would swap for Thomas and Raonic the robot any time!

That match was Awesome! Well done Andy. :D

Between Monfils or Murray?

Is that even a question?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    It could happen. Expect anything with Monfils especially in Paris.

Monfils saves his best for here. The crowd will also be with him by far and his bounces off them. If they are anyway boisterous as they can be then I'm sure he'll love that. He's been fantastic so far, very impressive.

Whats the Murray/Monfils h2h?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Monfils saves his best for here. The crowd will also be with him by far and his bounces off them. If they are anyway boisterous as they can be then I'm sure he'll love that. He's been fantastic so far, very impressive.

Whats the Murray/Monfils h2h?

3-2 Murray though won of those Monfils wins was here 9 years ago

Monfils is a clown, Murray in 3 I reckon, 4 at a push
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3-2 Murray though won of those Monfils wins was here 9 years ago

Monfils is a clown, Murray in 3 I reckon, 4 at a push

I wouldn't call Monfils a clown. He's perfectly capable of beating Murray if he doesn't go walkabout like he likes to do. Its hard to predict if Monfils is ON it. Hopefully he can do it.
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    I'd love Gael to be 'on it' from an entertainment point of view, but I think Andy will win in 3, maybe 4 at a push.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    I'm not the slightest bit confident of a straightforward Andy win, mainly because he hardly ever does that.

I reckon it'll go the distance and will be decided on Andy's serve, which is prone to dropping off when he's flagging.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »

I smiled as he did it for the last 2 points after Verdasco fluffed the point before off a higher ball.

Very smart by Murray as the harder he was hitting it, the harder Verdasco was hitting it back.

It's a very effective tactic especially if the ball bounces deep in the opponent's court.

But the players DNA is almost hardwired with being able to hit the ball with pace / power.

Murray looked elated at the win and I was fascinated to hear him say that the first time he played Monfils, he was 10 and Gael was 11. They've known each other through tennis for over half their lives to date!

The change of pace by Andy reminded me of the year I won all my singles matches at the Fantasy Camp at Newk's. In the 3rd and final match back in 2002, I was playing a Greek guy Harry (sadly no longer with us) who was 60 but fit and a very smart player who had played decent competitive amateur tennis most of his tennis life.

Thing is that Harry loved pace and I was playing well and with lots of pace. He used it against me and won the 1st set easily.

My Legend team captain was US former star Marty Reissen and he marched up to me at the changeover and said, 'I want you to give him junk' and he walked away.

I went into coach mode and imagined that Harry was a pupil who had requested junk. I forgot about all the pace. I proceeded to hit my serves as softly as possible (at times barely dropping over the net) - Harry hit his returns into the net. I rallied by hitting high and slow as deep as I could into his court - Harry hit everything into the net.

I won the 2nd set 6-0 and in the Super TB that was used as a 3rd set, I won it easily (10-3).

Harry marched up to me and said, 'Well played Mark, you know more about tennis than me'. He then picked up his bag and marched off to his room in frustration and wasn't seen for 2 hours.

A happy memory for me, although not for Harry but it was an eye opener for me, even as a working coach, on the potentially devastating impact of a drastic change of tactics in a match.

And one I experienced just in time, as 6 months later, my knee problems began and it's been downhill ever since.

As the saying goes, 'Don't change a winning game but make sure you change a losing one'.

RIP Harry Demetriou
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call Monfils a clown. He's perfectly capable of beating Murray if he doesn't go walkabout like he likes to do. Its hard to predict if Monfils is ON it. Hopefully he can do it.

He's not really though, unless Murray gets injured or whatever. Murray is uber consistent in majors there's only really 2 players in the world now "perfectly capable" of beating him, with Berdych and Wawrinka on a good day capable of giving him trouble.

Murray is so criminally under-rated it's insane could not get over so many tipping Verdasco today, in a Grand Slam like where Murray has made about 72 quarter finals in a row
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not the slightest bit confident of a straightforward Andy win, mainly he hardly ever does that.

I reckon it'll go the distance and will be decided on Andy's serve, which is prone to dropping off when he's flagging.

Murray's serve was outstanding today, from his first service game or two onwards. I don't think nando even forced a break point after that, until that game at the end of set 3, when he took the break point straight away
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not really though

He definitely is on this surface. I'm not saying it'll happen, you could be right, Monfils is certainly prone to being a clown but don't be surprised if he brings the goods on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moonballing was hilarious!

Between Monfils or Murray?

Is that even a question?

Yes I am wondering which one might cause Rafa more of a problem, I love Andy I really do and I feel so guilty going against him when he is playing Rafa, maybe Gael would be more of a nightmare as he would have all the crowd on his side. Anyway Rafa got to get rid of David yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Yes I am wondering which one might cause Rafa more of a problem, I love Andy I really do and I feel so guilty going against him when he is playing Rafa, maybe Gael would be more of a nightmare as he would have all the crowd on his side. Anyway Rafa got to get rid of David yet.

Monfils is a dream match up for Nadal, Murray has given him trouble on clay a few times now

If i was a Nadal fan I'd be cracking open the champers if La Monf pulls through tomorrow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He definitely is on this surface. I'm not saying it'll happen, you could be right, Monfils is certainly prone to being a clown but don't be surprised if he brings the goods on Wednesday.

In a best of 5 I'd doubt it

Murray is playing his best clay court tennis probably ever right now too.

Look if he does it, fair play to him but if players like Monfils were "perfectly capable" of beating Murray in a Slam would he really go as deep in every slam that he does, as often as he does?

Make no mistake if Monfils does it it'll have to be seen as quite an upset
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a best of 5 I'd doubt it

Murray is playing his best clay court tennis probably ever right now too.

Look if he does it, fair play to him but if players like Monfils were "perfectly capable" of beating Murray in a Slam would he really go as deep in every slam that he does, as often as he does?

Make no mistake if Monfils does it it'll have to be seen as quite an upset

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched is all I'm saying ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't count your chickens before they've hatched is all I'm saying ;-)

My point is Monfils isn't "perfectly capable" though

Like if he is to win I'd imagine there'd need to be plenty of luck involved and it's a match Murray probably wins 9 times out of 10, but look it may be the time Monfils does it, I certainly won't be counting any chickens though I'm fully confident Murray will do the buisness I don't see why I shouldn't be really..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good win for Kuznetsova, sets up an interesting encounter with Halep.
    My point is Monfils isn't "perfectly capable" though

Like if he is to win I'd imagine there'd need to be plenty of luck involved and it's a match Murray probably wins 9 times out of 10, but look it may be the time Monfils does it, I certainly won't be counting any chickens though I'm fully confident Murray will do the buisness I don't see why I shouldn't be really..

Monfils is an enigma, he's not a player that's easy to predict and is brilliant when he's on that's what makes him capable. It wouldn't shock me if he turned up on Wednesday and beat Murray, just like it wouldn't shock me if he turned up and lost in a triple bagel :kitty:. He's that type of player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monfils is a dream match up for Nadal, Murray has given him trouble on clay a few times now

If i was a Nadal fan I'd be cracking open the champers if La Monf pulls through tomorrow

Thanks, :) that is more of a nightmare for me now as I feel awful willing Andy to mess up instead of praying he wins, maybe I should just watch Andy/Gael and not care and maybe I am underestimating The King Of Clay too. I don't like to feel confident as it all goes wrong when I do.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Full lineup:

Garbine Muguruza (ESP) vs Maria Sharapova (RUS) [7]
    Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) [14] vs Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) [18]
    Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [27] vs Simona Halep (ROU) [4]
    Sara Errani (ITA) [10] vs Andrea Petkovic (GER) [28]

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [1] vs David Ferrer (ESP) [5]
    Gael Monfils (FRA) [23] vs Andy Murray (GBR) [7]
    Tomas Berdych (CZE) [6] vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT) [18]
    Milos Raonic (CAN) [8] vs Novak Djokovic (SRB) [2]

All European apart from the 2 Canadians.
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Thay was FABULOSO !!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Andy.... keep it up please :)
This discussion has been closed.