Options

Things every household has but yours?

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor me, in fact I would absolutely hate to have one.

From what I've seen from people who have them, they don't clean everything properly, you have to have twice as much stuff and even then, the things you want are always in it.

And, they stink!

I've had dishwashers since the 70's. I now have two separate Fisher Paykell drawer dishwashers. I've never had to buy extra "stuff". Mine have always cleaned properly, people just have to know how to use them correctly and don't stink at all, so there.:D I would rather any appliance break down than my dishwashers.:o

I don't have any curtains in the house, just Roman blinds.:)
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A toaster

Also a dishwasher, but that will be solved in a few weeks when the new kitchen goes in!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I've had dishwashers since the 70's. I now have two separate Fisher Paykell drawer dishwashers. I've never had to buy extra "stuff". Mine have always cleaned properly, people just have to know how to use them correctly and don't stink at all, so there.:D I would rather any appliance break down than my dishwashers.:o

I don't have any curtains in the house, just Roman blinds.:)

I've never had or used one. I am merely relating what my experience is of almost every household I know with a dishwasher.

In the time it takes people I know to load or unload, I'll have washed all my pots by hand and dried and put them away! So there!
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomaniac wrote:'In the time it takes people I know to load or unload, I'll have washed all my pots by hand and dried and put them away! So there! '
    I totally agree! My brother in law had a dishwasher years back and it took about ten minutes to stack stuff inside it (and they had to put every single bit of crockery they owned in,or it vibrated and broke stuff!) then another ten to 'wash' and a few minutes more to rinse and 'dry'.
    I was always happier doing it by hand,and making a proper job of it myself!
    And I have never owned a PVR thingy either.Enough rubbish on freeview without saving it for another time.Its always repeated anyway!
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a TV in my bedroom.
    I don't want one either BTW. I love my sleep so I really don't need any excuses to spend more time in bed to be honest.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I don't want one either BTW. I love my sleep so I really don't need any excuses to spend more time in bed to be honest.

I do have a TV in the bedroom but I can't remember the last time it was turned on. I'm not even sure if it is plugged in at the moment. I don't go to bed to watch TV.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    My bedroom telly AND radio AND iPad are on almost all night!
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use mine for defrosting meat mainly but bar that things that can be done in a pan (soup, beans etc)
    I keep things in mine :D Mainly food to stop the cats from devouring or cakes/biscuits I don't want hubby to find :D Like a safe really .. without the hassle of having to remember the combination. No-one ever looks in it.

I haven't got Sky TV, a games console or a garlic press.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have never owned a dishwasher. I am the dishwasher !!

I don't own any sort of gaming console. A few months ago I also bought a Playstation but talked myself out of it.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »

I need a TV in the bedroom to help me get to sleep. If I didn't have it on I'd be awake most of the night with a million things running through my mind. Having just the one thing to focus on helps declutter my mind and relaxes me enough to slowly drift off.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    An iron, mine broke and I can't really be bothered to replace it. I barely used it anyway.

I'm another person without a dishwasher but I live alone so it really would be pointless.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    We dont have a dishwasher, didnt replace the tumble dryer when it broke (it was left behind by previous owners).

We have been here three years and for the first two we didnt have coffee. Finally gave in and got some when guests kept asking for it. Now people dont visit all too often so my oh has gotten into drinking coffee so it doesnt get wasted :)

Things we have, which most people do but we rarely use:

Dining table and chairs. Used for its purpose when we have guests (about 4 times). Rest of the time its used to out things on or leaning on for writing etc.

Iron and ironing board. Got a cheap one and did one lot of washing and you couldnt tell the difference. Now only used when we have a funeral so make the effort to look smart!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Washing Line
    A Welcome Mat
    A Dishwasher
    Sugar
    A Car
    A Games Console
    An Iron (although I do have an Ironing Board :))
    A TV in my Bedroom
    A Woman (ba-doom TISH! :D)
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Until 3 years ago) no central heating or hot running water
    No dish washer
    No doorbell
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, no dishwasher. I have a huge kitchen too but there is no space for one, even if I could afford it. My SIL once told me I'd have a dishwasher just like her, one day - something to aspire to. ;o) Dick.

I've often wondered about the sinister chemicals in the detergents used - imagine eating/drinking the residue of that, day in day out. .?

Also don't have a bedroom TV although years ago we did and I used to love it.

There's probably more things we don't have, than we do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bath plug.

I don't know where it went, or even when it went. But it's been gone some time.
    Mostly we use the shower, but when we do use the bath we have to use the plug from the kitchen sink.
    I'm sure I did buy a replacement but I have no idea where it is. Everytime I go in a pound shop or hardware shop I remind myself to buy another one, then promptly forget.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A toilet brush.

Iron.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No laptop, no smart phone, no tablet. In fact I don't have a mobile phone at all. (Hubby has an ancient one that's just a phone).

There's a dishwasher in our built-in kitchen (it came with the house) but we've never used it. Dishwashers leave chemical residue on the dishes - I prefer to do it myself and know they're clean and rinsed properly.

We don't even have a flat TV (ours is a huge old-fashioned heavy one).
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have a dishwasher - hubby is the dishwasher :p

But the weirdest thing of all is we don't have a lawnmower now :D No use for it in the back garden - it's artificial grass :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have a toaster or a dishwasher but the biggy is we don't have a freezer.

Kitchen is teeny and can only fit in an under the counter larder [unless we wanted to lose a cupboard and we barely have any of those!]

We've lived in this place for 4 years freezer-less, oddly our place before didn't have a freezer so that's 7 years we've not had a freezer.

When we move a fridge freezer is top of my list. I want somewhere to chill my vodka :D
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have :

Toaster
    Dishwasher
    Tumble dryer
    Central heating
    Double glazed windows
    Sky
    Any kind of game consoles
    Anything to play music on (do have a radio and Ipad)
    No kitchen gadgets - juicers/yoghurt maker that sort of thing - do have a microwave
    TV in bedroom (room is hardly big enough for a bed and wardroble let alone anything else !)
    Mobile phone reception >:( >:(
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point in having pictures of me and family up either. If I want to see me I'll look in the mirror. If I want to see my wife, son etc then I'll look at them. I find it a little bit odd having pictures of yourself everywhere.

I don't have a TV in the bedroom as bed is for sleeping and sex. I don't even read in bed, as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm asleep.

I don't own a drill either. The odd occasion I need one I just borrow one.

I don't understand how people can't have salt in the house! Do they not season when cooking?

Microwaves are pretty useful too, I always cook from scratch but often make enough for 4 people and re-heat it the following day.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we don't have a freezer.

That is the one thing I couldn't live without. Take away the tumble dryer and microwave, but no freezer :o I have two. I have a large chest freezer and a fridge freezer. They are always packed with BOGOF offers !!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I don't see the point in having pictures of me and family up either. If I want to see me I'll look in the mirror. If I want to see my wife, son etc then I'll look at them. I find it a little bit odd having pictures of yourself everywhere.

The point of having pictures of yourself and your family is that you can see your children growing up and have good memories of the places you have been to and people you have met etc. Looking in the mirror at yourself is not at all the same as seeing what you were like, say, twenty years ago. I have so many photos of my son and love to have them all, I love to see him as a tiny baby and then growing up into a young man. I love looking at photos of us all on days out and on holiday. I couldn't cope without my photos, they are probably my most important belongings.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only imagine the people who don't have irons :o don't you people have creased clothes, and how do you keep shirts or trousers looking neat?!