Options

If you've criticised Iran on facebook, don't ever visit there.......

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The woman in this link did, and got 20 years after being arrested whilst on holiday there.
A British woman has been sentenced to 20 years in an Iranian prison after criticising the country’s former leader on Facebook.

Roya Saberi Negad Nobakht, a housewife from Stockport, Greater Manchester, posted the comments on the social media site while visiting friends in Iran.

Ms Nobakht, 47, who holds dual British and Iranian citizenship, was arrested in Shiraz in the south-west of the country for allegedly criticising Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

The part-time student was accused of putting Iran’s security at risk and of gathering crowds during her three-week stint in Iran.

Her husband Daryoush Taghipoor had no idea his wife had been arrested until she failed to appear at Manchester Airport.

I'm afraid they can't take any criticism whatever, so utterly perfect do they think they are.

Very sad state of affairs when governments resort to this kind of shit.

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iran is run by morons .....

hehe
    NO ONE SUSPECTS DIGITAL SPY!!!
    :D
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    iran is run by morons .....

hehe
    NO ONE SUSPECTS DIGITAL SPY!!!
    :D

Someone will be along shortly to report you to that wonderful country demanding the utmost respect.;-):cool:
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted got wrong end of stick

DISGUSTING anyway and when iran was showing signs of progress
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    jesus h christ not sure i believe this anyway

everyone get OFF facebook anyway if you post in your real name and anything controversial lol

I think it's true. Her MP has taken up the matter on her behalf.

local news link
    The MP of a woman sentenced to 20 years in prison in Iran for posting on Facebook says her health is an ‘urgent priority’ - after reports she has been tortured.

Cheadle MP Mark Hunter has also warned it could take months for an appeal to be heard against his constituent Roya Saberi Negad Nobakht.

She was last week handed a 20-year sentence after allegedly criticising the leaders of the Islamic republic on the internet site.

A Cheadle resident with joint British-Iranian nationality, Ms Nobakht, 47, made the online remarks in the UK but was arrested after visiting relatives in Iran last October.

The Foreign Office and Mr Hunter are now pushing for an appeal against the sentence, which the MP branded ‘unbelievable’.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody outrageous! >:(
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt I'd be let in anyway, what with all the pesky Israeli stamps in my passport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it normal in that country to sentence people to 20 yrs for complaining about the govt? Really???? Omg that is disgusting and horrific...do they not have elections there? Isnt everyne who does complain ie doesnt vote for the govt guilty.???

then half the population should be in prison!
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that she made the post whilst inside Iran, a place which is well known for the internet being heavily censored and monitored.

Not that she visisted and was locked up for a historic post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    is it normal in that country to sentence people to 20 yrs for complaining about the govt? Really???? Omg that is disgusting and horrific...do they not have elections there? Isnt everyne who does complain ie doesnt vote for the govt guilty.???

then half the population should be in prison!

It's worse than that, go look up the death of Nedā Āghā-Soltān, and she was only a bystander.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I think the problem is that she made the post whilst inside Iran, a place which is well known for the internet being heavily censored and monitored.

Not that she visisted and was locked up for a historic post.

Correction.
    A Cheadle resident with joint British-Iranian nationality, Ms Nobakht, 47, made the online remarks in the UK but was arrested after visiting relatives in Iran last October.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    It's worse than that, go look up the death of Nedā Āghā-Soltān, and she was only a bystander.
    blueblade wrote: »
    Correction.

My 'respect' is growing by the minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

another bright life vanquished by the idiots.........
    Shame on them...they really should catch up

In fact they should remember their free past before islam....the free past where they were able to study the stars, maths, physics, algebra... And contribute to it...instead of being in some cultural religious straightjacket today...... Sad and sadder
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correction.

Hmm. The quote in your original posts suggests that the offending post was made whilst visiting friends in Iran. Also that she was gathering crowds.

Not sure how either of those are possible if she didn't even make it out of the airport :confused:

There seems to be some conflicting information surrounding this story.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Israel can be similar in their approach :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

no one wants to talk about the israeli thugs........treating palestinians like dogs.....leave it..we all know its true...no one has the power to change it or if they do they have no will. Another bunch of terrorist *******.........taking peoples lands, and restricting them from using their own land.... Eg for water.....bastads
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally where there's oil or America's grouches then something is attempted by the west.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to be that sympathetic. Iran is a police state, what exactly did she expect?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've not heard that they specifically dole out 20 year sentences for visitors who have criticised previous leaders, but at least, unlike Iran, they do have one of the most gay friendly cities in the world - Tel Aviv

I believe that Iran is quite unpleasant to gay people.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not heard that that they specifically dole out 20 year sentences for visitors who have criticised previous leaders, but at least, unlike Iran, they do have one of the most gay friendly cities in the world - Tel Aviv

It's not so much that they'll imprison them for 20 years, but rather apparently if you've ever said things online which are pro-Palestine or could appear anti-Zionist they may detain you and then deport you.

The Facebook thing reminded me as one journalist (Guardian?) was even asked to log into his Fb account in front of Mossad so they could go through it to check for anti-Zionism.

Seems a bit paranoid to me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bit paranoid to me

I think they have good reason to be paranoid. Most of their near neighbouring countries as well as other Muslim countries further afield consider them enemies.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,510
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I'm not going to be that sympathetic. Iran is a police state, what exactly did she expect?

So, by that logic, no one the world over can criticise Iran, North Korea, Belarus etc for fear of enraging their paranoid governments? She posted the comments in the UK- and not even recently, by the looks of the article.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iran is truly batshit mental though. Anyone remember when they wheeled out their latest and greatest state of the art stealth fighter, the F313, and the entire aerospace industry fell about laughing as it was obviously a fibre-glass model and had a cockpit made up of salvaged civil aviation gauges?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, by that logic, no one the world over can criticise Iran, North Korea, Belarus etc for fear of enraging their paranoid governments? She posted the comments in the UK- and not even recently, by the looks of the article.

She wasn't arrested in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

Based on the information published to date, are you seriously suggesting that people should expect to be sentenced to 20yrs in prison for criticising the political regime of another country?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here you just risk losing your job.