Options

Changes to Radio 2: Alex Lester to weekends, 3-5am with repeats

Comments

• Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so busy ranting about weeknights, I didn't even notice what's happened to Bob Harris. Moving him to 3am on a Sunday morning is monumentally dense. Midnight was already way too late for his show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    So Richard loses his shows but Huey Morgan doesnt ? Jeez.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That could be possibility moving Alex to weekends freeing him to cover during the week and easy too find a cover for him at weekends?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remembering the budget is cutting so use the resources they have for cover work? Nicki Chapman usually covers Alex or Janice.
  • Options
    ste2010ste2010 Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    That could be possibility moving Alex to weekends freeing him to cover during the week and easy too find a cover for him at weekends?

Yes maybe that's were Richard Allinson will cover. Perhaps we will have fewer covers by Michael Ball, Patrick Kielty and Ryan Tubridy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Remembering the budget is cutting so use the resources they have for cover work? Nicki Chapman usually covers Alex or Janice.

How much will it cost for people to cover the daytime shows?
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Given the relatively high profile that Alex Lester's show has for an overnight programme his reduction to three nights a weeks seems particularly hard to understand. I agree with those above who say that it would have made more sense to drop Vanessa Feltz's show. I fear that Bob Shennan has given in to cowardice and been unwilling to be seen to drop a female presenter, even when the male presenter alternative has a much higher profile.

When will the BBC learn? Most people do not care whether presenters are male or female, black or white. What they expect is that the BBC hire the very best people available, without any regard to whether the chattering classes approve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was so busy ranting about weeknights, I didn't even notice what's happened to Bob Harris. Moving him to 3am on a Sunday morning is monumentally dense. Midnight was already way too late for his show.

Although how many people stay up late to hear him live? I suspect his show is one that has far more listeners on IPlayer than live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Given the relatively high profile that Alex Lester's show has for an overnight programme his reduction to three nights a weeks seem particularly hard to understand. I agree with those above who say that it would have made more sense to drop Vanessa Feltz's show. I fear that Bob Shennan has given into cowardice and been unwilling to be seen to drop a female presenter, even when the male presenter alternative has a much higher profile.

When will the BBC learn. Most people do not care whether presenters are male or female, black or white. What they expect is that the BBC hire the very best people available without any regard to whether the chattering classes approve.

Well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ste2010 wrote: »

Salary for a number of cover shows l suppose? With celebrities done via agents the BBC uses and an appearance fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we will have fewer covers by Patrick Kielty.

That would be a blessing.
  • Options
    ceemageceemage Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a sad state of affairs when the biggest music station in the country can't afford to be live overnights. If people want to hear repeats of Sounds of the 60s, Sounds of the 70s etc. then surely that's what the BBC iPlayer is for.

"The home of entertainment,
    Your 24 hour friend.
    Radio 2 and you,
    It's the perfect blend."

24 hour Radio Two, 1979-2014. RIP.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although how many people stay up late to hear him live? I suspect his show is one that has far more listeners on IPlayer than live.

I think you're right, but I'm disappointed how he's been progressively marginalised. That show was originally on from 10pm and it just keeps getting moved later and later. What fills a remit to be distinctive better at 10pm on a Saturday? Bob Harris' eclectic mix or Sara Cox's 80s blunderbuss? If it carries on like this, he'll soon be doing the Sunday breakfast show!
  • Options
    ch958ch958 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I think you're right, but I'm disappointed how he's been progressively marginalised. That show was originally on from 10pm and it just keeps getting moved later and later. What fills a remit to be distinctive better at 10pm on a Saturday? Bob Harris' eclectic mix or Sara Cox's 80s blunderbuss? If it carries on like this, he'll soon be doing the Sunday breakfast show!

he's been treated like sh*t he should tell them to shove it up their ars*holes

intelligent adult rock professionally delivered - be better off on 6music
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Given the relatively high profile that Alex Lester's show has for an overnight programme his reduction to three nights a weeks seems particularly hard to understand. I agree with those above who say that it would have made more sense to drop Vanessa Feltz's show. I fear that Bob Shennan has given in to cowardice and been unwilling to be seen to drop a female presenter, even when the male presenter alternative has a much higher profile.

When will the BBC learn? Most people do not care whether presenters are male or female, black or white. What they expect is that the BBC hire the very best people available, without any regard to whether the chattering classes approve.

Good post agree 100%.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ch958 wrote: »
    he's been treated like sh*t he should tell them to shove it up their ars*holes

intelligent adult rock professionally delivered - be better off on 6music

If it's recorded it wont make any difference to him.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice for those poor shift workers.

note to BBC we don't all work 9-5.
    Local Radio takes Radio 5 but goes regional at 4am. (6am weelenfds)
    Radio 1 simulcasts with 1 Xtra but is live at 4am.

Bob Radio 2 should be live at 4am.
    and live at 4am seven days,
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,854
    Forum Member

They need to stop pulling in the likes of Patrick Kielty and Ryan Tubridy to cover shows and make sure they cover from within.

Richard Allinson is more than capable of covering for Steve Wright when he's away.
  • Options
    Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ceemage wrote: »
    "The home of entertainment,
    Your 24 hour friend.
    Radio 2 and you,
    It's the perfect blend."

24 hour Radio Two, 1979-2014. RIP.

I take your point but Radio 2 has had overnight repeats before back in the early 80s, though only for an hour.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about Huey or Bob although I would not be surprised if Huey records his shows now and again while Bob probably also does but there is nothing that suggests they will not be live, as for Janice and Alex and the show they present will be live seven nights a week so as far as I can read it the only time Radio 2 will not have live programming will be between 3 and 5am Monday to Friday.

However that is for now so I would say that if you do not want things to go on in the way they are with anymore cuts that you should vote Labour in next year as all these cuts are as a result of the licence freeze brought in by the Tories.
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian reports 80 jobs are to be cut in radio -- definitely Radio 2's affected by this, thus the new schedule: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/03/bbc-cut-600-jobs-news-radio-james-harding

I think it's best they bring Bob Harris back to 6 Music. Or, how about extending Vanessa's show to an hour earlier? Although that would mean her dropping her BBC London show.
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Huey or Bob although I would not be surprised if Huey records his shows now and again while Bob probably also does but there is nothing that suggests they will not be live, as for Janice and Alex and the show they present will be live seven nights a week so as far as I can read it the only time Radio 2 will not have live programming will be between 3 and 5am Monday to Friday.

I always assumed Huey prerecords his R2 show as he'll be live on 6 Music seven hours after it ends!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This gives extra anumition for other stations overnights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the announcement has been made now when the change doesn't happen until October. I wonder if there's some kind of game being played by Bob Shennan here in trying to get a head of steam up against the changes and so hoping to secure additional funding for R2 as a result?
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the big names will "take one for the team" and accept a bit less to keep Lester's show going? Evans selling one of his Ferraris might help.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take your point but Radio 2 has had overnight repeats before back in the early 80s, though only for an hour.

That's right, as you can see here...
    http://www.r2ok.co.uk/R2_timeline.htm

In the early eighties they had repeats of things like Folk on 2 and Big Band Special at 1am, moving in the mid-eighties to 3am.