Options

Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

Comments

• Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH, who has not been watching this apart from last 2 eps, tells me he read somewhere that they are thinking about a second series. Not sure how I feel about that.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    BBC 1 Quote "You can now order your DVD set of Happy Valley, series one"

Yes, that was series one so hopefully there'll be more to look forward to. I really do hope so.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was great when the announcer told us about the DVD pre order. He said series one. Hinting at a yet to be confirmed recommission.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,588
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    He was good in Crimson Field as a shell shock victim. He seems to be able to turn his hand to anything.

He was in Emmerdale years back.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the voiceover guy at the end said that the DVD is ready to pre-order for series one.
    Big hint at another series?

^^^ Guess I'm not alone in my thinking. :)
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    That really was a brilliant series, best I have seen in a long time and great acting by all....
  • Options
    reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH, who has not been watching this apart from last 2 eps, tells me he read somewhere that they are thinking about a second series. Not sure how I feel about that.

The drug storyline still seemed like there could more too it, I was thinking along the lines of people in authority being involved.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,588
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    Who the hell lets a child go home alone with a serial killer on the loose.

I hate when they put things in like that. It was obvious what was going to happen.

Surely when you get petrol tipped over you it stings a bit. Never flinched :confused:

Brilliant series and glad Caroline put the boot in several times :D
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have every confidence that such a fantastic writer can deliver the goods for a second run. And let's face it, Sally is one of the UK's best.
  • Options
    KMXKMX Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best British drama since Broadchurch, praying for a second!
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. and a quick add-on, I think the start/end music is great too..jake somebody.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Absolutely brilliant series. Incredibly good acting all round. I feel wrung out but I'm glad she didn't kill him.

I assumed it would be a one off story and I'd have been happy if it had been. But I have a lot of faith in the writer that she wouldn't do another series unless she had a good story for it. And Catherine is an incredible character.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I wonder if something else drove her to suicide.

If they were boyfriend and girlfriend rather than him raping Becky, then there's definitely still a story to tell around her family and of course someone else to blame and hunt down - someone I suspect that will be a drug dealer

Especially as Sally has said
    Yes, obviously it’s something that I hope we'll be able to do again. There isn't officially a series two. But it's certainly got the potential. I've some tentative ideas for a whole new story for Catherine, Clare and Ryan.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    .. and a quick add-on, I think the start/end music is great too..jake somebody.

Jake Bugg :)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost every 'soap' cliché in the book with an ending that was predictable but it was still riveting viewing and brilliantly acted so I'm hoping for a second series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have loved it if the petrol turned out to be just water causing Catherine to say something like 'You dickheaaaad!' before twatting him.

I was hoping maybe something he told Ryan to fetch along with the milk was going to be the cause of his final downfall. I know that it would be expecting too much of a child's non-existent intelligence and logic to have him be sent to get petrol from another barge (in the way you borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbour) and replacing it with water cause he knows what Tommy would be up to but I was still banking on some neat little trick from Ryan to show he's not completely gullible.
  • Options
    Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    There was an article in one of the newspapers stating that the bbc were in talks about a second series and that it looked likely , I hope so it was brilliant , although the title happy valley made it sound like it was going to be like "where the heart is" or something like that lol. Sarah Lancashire was absolutely fantastic in this probably the best role I have seen her in
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Jake Bugg :)

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reddress wrote: »
    The drug storyline still seemed like there could more too it, I was thinking along the lines of people in authority being involved.
    Yes... thinking of the crooked councillor and the lost evidence.

Good, satisfying ending.
  • Options
    jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic series. Siobhan Finneran and Sarah Lancashire were brilliant.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Fantastic. A bit of non-gratuitous and wholly satisfying violence. :D
    Loved the fire extinguisher.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Yes... thinking of the crooked councillor and the lost evidence.

Good, satisfying ending.

Yes, that's what I was thinking - both on the storyline for a second series and on the ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    "What bad stuff?"

How about 'being a serial kliller!
    :D Hahaha...as Pemberton said in Psychoville...

Sorry mum, I did a bad murder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inB4esNoNTo&feature=kp
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    A second series could definitely happen. Even though the Tommy part of the story was sewn up, it could always untangle in some way. Even if not, there are still lots of issues with Catherine's family that could carry a series. I'd like to see more of Daniel and his partner too.

I think just the fact Catherine was clearly 'at peace' with everything at the end is why I said I can imagine a second series. Had she still been a wreck, it wouldn't be the same!

So family stuff, yes, but this story is clearly, as you say, sewn up, so she could come back for another case.
    I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Cracking end to the series. I'm glad Catherine got at least some closure. Gutted it's over though, it's the only thing that's been getting me through terrible Tuesdays!

As for a second series, I'm in two minds. Part of me thinks it's better left as the brilliant one off success story it has been. Also I can't help but feel it'd go too far into soap territory, as it'd obviously have to involve another personal battle for Catherine and family as that was such a big part of this series. I guess they could build on the drug story and maybe see a relapse for Clare (I'm sure they didn't make her an ex addict for nothing) which I'm sure would be more great drama but again, maybe end up too soapy?