Options

Sw19.2014

coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC has announced its comprehensive multi-platform coverage plans for the 2014 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Club from June 23-July 6.
Sue Barker will again be in the driving seat for BBC TV across all 13 days as she leads over 150 hours of coverage in what will be her 21st consecutive Wimbledon for the corporation.
As usual, live coverage will be shown across BBC One, BBC Two and Red Button/Online, starting daily at 11:30am on BBC Two for the first nine days of the tournament, climaxing with the singles finals over the weekend of July 5-6, both exclusively live on BBC One.
New to the commentary team this year will be the reigning ladies champion Marion Bartoli, who brings her unique insight to the BBC team for the first time, having fulfilled a similar role for ITV during its recent French Open coverage, as will British women’s number one Laura Robson, who sits out this year’s tournament due to injury.
Forty years since claiming his first Wimbledon title, the legendary Jimmy Connors returns to the BBC television commentary line-up for the first time since 2007, joining the corporation’s established field of Wimbledon regulars, including Tracy Austin, Martina Navratilova, Pat Cash, Lindsay Davenport, Peter Fleming, Tim Henman, Anne Keothavong, John Lloyd, John McEnroe, Sam Smith and Virginia Wade.

Leading commentary duties will be Andrew Castle, Mark Petchey, Andrew Cotter, Chris Bradnam, Matt Chilton, Barry Davies, David Mercer, Nick Mullins, Simon Reed, Jason Goodall, Guy McCrea, Ronald McIntosh, and James Burridge.
Roving reports and interviews throughout the Championships will be provided by a team including Garry Richardson, Phil Jones, Rishi Persad and Lee McKenzie.

while John Inverdale returns to present the ever-popular Today at Wimbledon programme which rounds off the BBC’s daily coverage each evening on BBC Two at 8.00pm.
In addition to the traditional TV coverage, BBC Sport will again be offering its biggest ever digital offering for this year’s Wimbledon, with up to 12 live streams - up from 10 last year - available across any device, giving audiences even more choice during the busy early rounds.
Viewers will have the choice of up to five extra courts via the BBC Red Button on TVs, while those with connected TVs can access the BBC Sport App via the Red Button or through the on-device app store.
A dedicated Tennis section will include access to the full range of 12 live HD streams alongside the latest highlights and headlines from SW19.

highlighted the main points...
looks decent 12 live HD Streams which is great

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Castle, Pat Cash and Barry Davies are back - More licence fee money wasted.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Andrew Castle, Pat Cash and Barry Davies are back - More licence fee money wasted.

Not a fan of Andrew Castle, but Barry Davies is a commentary icon.

How much is wasted then?
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You forgot the words - In Your Opinion

Barry Davies is brilliant and i am a huge fan of Pat Cash

Looking at the list to see who is missing from previous years - No Jo Durie, Louise Pleming or Liz Smilie on that list.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

highlighted the main points...
    looks decent 12 live HD Streams which is great

12 additional live streams to any IP device, including smart TVs.

4 of these available via D-SAT and possibly Virgin?

Presumably 1 red-button stream via DTT?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I didn`t. If you need that reiterating in every post then perhaps forums aren`t for you.
    mikw wrote: »

Football - "maybe". Tennis? Not even close.
    How much is wasted then?

More than a penny and less than a million.
    .....i am a huge fan of Pat Cash

Fans of rambling, pointless, faux-matey non sequiturs are nodding their heads in agreement with you.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    12 additional live streams to any IP device, including smart TVs.

4 of these available via D-SAT and possibly Virgin?

Presumably 1 red-button stream via DTT?

Virgin Tivo boxes will have the 12 streams as they have Connected Red Button.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's going to replace Boris Becker in the Castle/Henman/? BBC dream team? They'll probably get their money's worth with Jimmy Connors if he's not working for any other broadcasters i.e. John McEnroe.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Virgin Tivo boxes will have the 12 streams as they have Connected Red Button.

Good point.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    No, I didn`t. If you need that reiterating in every post then perhaps forums aren`t for you.

Football - "maybe". Tennis? Not even close.

More than a penny and less than a million.

Fans of rambling, pointless, faux-matey non sequiturs are nodding their heads in agreement with you.

Disagree with you about Barry Davies, and you need to add " in my opinion ". And you've alleged waste, but can't actually prove there is.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope the absence of Jo Durie's name is just an oversight. I know she only does the outside courts during Wimbledon, but (in my opinion) she's a great commentator.

Also, in my opinion, Barry Davies is great too. It just wouldn't be the same without him. :)
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry Davies is a commentary icon.
    Barry Davies is brilliant.
    Also, in my opinion, Barry Davies is great too. It just wouldn't be the same without him. :)

Barry will be 77 in October and sadly his great career is drawing to a close - he won't be doing the Commonwealth games and has given up covering hockey. :(

Wimbledon is all that's left so make the most of him whilst you still can.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree on both points, Davies is a commentary legend of all sports-football, tennis, hockey, gymnastics etc etc. Castle though is the biggest waste of space around and i really don't understand why the BBC still employ him for tennis commentary, let alone be regarded as their number 1. I simply can't stand his waffle and constant repetitiveness so much so that when there is a match that involves him commentating i press the mute button.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barry will be 77 in October and sadly his great career is drawing to a close - he won't be doing the Commonwealth games and has given up covering hockey. :(

Wimbledon is all that's left so make the most of him whilst you still can.

I never knew that he was winding down his career. I have been listening to him for donkey's years during Wimbledon. I hope he stays as long as he wants to - he's such a professional (always well briefed) :)
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Cox's name is also missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Barry Davies is brilliant and i am a huge fan of Pat Cash.
    Disagree with you about Barry Davies, and you need to add " in my opinion ".

I`ve searched all your posts praising the lamentable Davies for (according to you both) the key phrase "in my opinion" but I can`t find it anywhere. Oh, the supreme irony - Hoist by your own petard etc, etc....

mikw defending the Beeb. How very unusual.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I`ve searched all your posts praising the lamentable Davies for (according to you both) the key phrase "in my opinion" but I can`t find it anywhere. Oh, the supreme irony - Hoist by your own petard etc, etc....

mikw defending the Beeb. How very unusual.....

Your posts are so matter of fact, as if what you states is fact and not opinion.

I don't see how mikw defended the beeb. I work for the opposition but I will always concede that the BBC do things like Wimbledon very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Mark Cox's name is also missing.

He must be the longest serving commentator too ( maybe aside from Barry Davies )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your posts are so matter of fact, as if what you states is fact and not opinion.

How is "Barry Davies is brilliant" any less definitive than anything I posted?

Can I help it if you naturally see anything I post as authoritative?

Face it, you tried to accuse me, in order to score petty points, of doing what everyone else does who doesn`t use "IMO" when they post. Bit tragic really....

Pwned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is "Barry Davies is brilliant" any less definitive than anything I posted?

Can I help it if you naturally see anything I post as authoritative?

Face it, you tried to accuse me (in order to score petty points) of doing what everyone else does who doesn`t use "IMO" when they post. Bit tragic really....

Pwned.

No it was more the comment that it is "more licence fee wasted". I fail to see how it is, also somebody asked you how much and somebody asked you why, you have skirted around both questions. Perhaps you would care to explain it for us please. We aren't all as well informed as you obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it was more the comment that it is "more licence fee wasted".

Changing tack to save face. I geddit.
    I fail to see how it is, also somebody asked you how much and somebody asked you why, you have skirted around both questions. Perhaps you would care to explain it for us please. We aren't all as well informed as you obviously.

A single penny paid to Cash, Davies or Castle is "wasted licence fee money".

Can you cope without the acronym to qualify or will you be able to take it as read?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pwned.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Your valuable contribution to the discussion duly noted.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your valuable contribution to the discussion duly noted.
    Says the poster using "pwned" as part of said discussion... :blush:
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    So take it if it's world cup or Wimbledon latter will be shunted on to BBC2 or red button no doubt?
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    So take it if it's world cup or Wimbledon latter will be shunted on to BBC2 or red button no doubt?

I would guess so yes".

Thankfully, pressing the "Channel Up" button or the numbers 2/102 isn't a great hardship, although to some on here is the end of the world as we know it when that happens.