Options

Changes to Radio 2: Alex Lester to weekends, 3-5am with repeats

Comments

• Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this site is to go by, the BBC have erred in the importance of Radio 2.
    Many MP's have it in for 2, why does the BBC have so many 'pop music' stations. Why don't the Radio 2 listeners just tune into local commercial radio (because in too many cases local radio is Heart, neither local or playing a mix of music as a 45 yr old I can feel at ease with).

But with four 'pop' stations, Radio 1, 1 Xtra, 2 and 6 Music is it too many?
    Are the MP's right. Should services be commercial?
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,856
    Forum Member
    Many MP's have it in for 2, why does the BBC have so many 'pop music' stations. Why don't the Radio 2 listeners just tune into local commercial radio (because in too many cases local radio is Heart, neither local or playing a mix of music as a 45 yr old I can feel at ease with).

I think its sad that MPs seem as stuffy and out of touch as ever. I can understand people like Lord Hailsham and Douglas Hurd in the 80s, not fully grasping the concept of popular music radio, but surely everyone in Parliament now, would have grown up in the 60s / 70s and 80s and would be aware of different popular music genres, that Black Sabbath are different to Public Enemy, who are different to Celine Dion etc. It seems they still group it all as one "Pop and Prattle" as they used to say
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since radio 2 axed all the pre Beatles era music there is little or nothing left of bbc2 that couldn't be provided by a private operator if bbc2 didn't exist.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Since radio 2 axed all the pre Beatles era music there is little or nothing left of bbc2 that couldn't be provided by a private operator if bbc2 didn't exist.
    By saying that it shows how you are just as out of touch as the politicians the poster was describing. So tell me if the commercial sector can provide what Radio 2 does why aren't they already doing it?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

6 Music and 1Xtra are not "pop" stations anyway but you can be certain that if Radio's 1 and 2 fell into the commercial groups hands then we would see them coming Capital and Heart clones. Be careful what you wish for.

Whilst the 3am repeats are disgraceful and not what we'd expect from the UK''s largest station only a very small number of listeners wlll be tuned in at that time, still enough to merit a live show mind.

Surely they could get someone from local radio currently working for peanuts to cover these hours? I am sure one of BBC locals talents would jump at the chance of a national gig even if for peanuts.

Oh, and get rid of Feltz slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By saying that it shows how you are just as out of touch as the politicians the poster was describing. So tell me if the commercial sector can provide what Radio 2 does why aren't they already doing it?

Indeed, could you imagine ANY commercial station doing any of the 10- Midnight or Sunday shows currently on Radio 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because the bbc is offering an ad free alternative. Every other country in the world can survive without state funded pop music. I'm sure that Britain could cope too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the bbc is offering an ad free alternative. Every other country in the world can survive without state funded pop music. I'm sure that Britain could cope too.

Not going to answer Peter the great's question?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have asked over the years for a weekend breakfast show on Radio 2. No one really offers a weekend breakfast show as such anymore since really the days of Bruno Brookes and Liz Kershaw, then Gary Davis, then it was on Radio 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Not going to answer Peter the great's question?

Which one? There are full 24/7 stations outside the uk playing what radio 2 banishes to Sunday nights.

If you can't accept that something which is not currently viable because the bbc fills that role but would be viable commercially if the bbc wasn't doing it then that's your problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you are doing what the out of touch politicians do. Dismiss everything as Pop music that you don't like. The commercial sector had a chance in the mid 90's to provide what Radio 2 does now when Radio 1 was repositioned. Radio 2 was repositioned for the fact that the commercial sector failed to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 are repositioning themselves cause of budget cuts. How much does an over night show cost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which one? There are full 24/7 stations outside the uk playing what radio 2 banishes to Sunday nights.

If you can't accept that something which is not currently viable because the bbc fills that role but would be viable commercially if the bbc wasn't doing it then that's your problem.

Not sure that statement makes any sense.

The BBC has to cater for everyone and does so well. The commercial sector seem to be going after the same market (housewives and people who don't mind hearing the same song 4 times in a working day),

Why should a UK based listener have to tune into a foreign station to hear the likes a Clare Teal then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Radio 2 are repositioning themselves cause of budget cuts. How much does an over night show cost?

Repositioning themselves? In what way?

As I said earlier, stick a BBC local jock in that slot overnight, £100 a show. Sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC need to pay for talent to get the best out of the corporation. Possibly the station now needs to stop employing high profile people and use in house to dep for shows as people will still tune in
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Repositioning themselves? In what way?

As I said earlier, stick a BBC local jock in that slot overnight, £100 a show. Sorted.

Or the talent underused, BBC 3CR has ex Smooth, Dave Prever doing a weekend breakfast.
    Lynn Parsons is she on air?
    The list goes on.

Radio 2 as has been said needs less, Patrick Kieltys and more good radio presenters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am reading this right that Janice gains an extra hour but now hosts 4 shows a week instead of 5? Personally I was never a fan of Huey or Bob Harris but understand there is a place for them, so having a general music show hosted by someone with the calibre of Alex at the weekend is good for me.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    Interesting that the announcement has been made now when the change doesn't happen until October. I wonder if there's some kind of game being played by Bob Shennan here in trying to get a head of steam up against the changes and so hoping to secure additional funding for R2 as a result?

It worked for 6 music but then again that was an entire radio station. I'm not sure how many people will really miss a porr mans Ken Bruce from 3am in the morning.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    So tell me if the commercial sector can provide what Radio 2 does why aren't they already doing it?

Because Radio 2 are already doing it and doing it with a much higher budget than a commercial operator could do it with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Because Radio 2 are already doing it and doing it with a much higher budget than a commercial operator could do it with.
    So you chose to ignore my post after it? Where I had pointed that the BBC purposely left a gap for commercial sector in the mid 90's and all the commercial sector could give us is crap like GWR Network's so called "better music mix". They could have provided lower budget stations doing a similar thing that Radio 2 is now doing but chose not to.
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you chose to ignore my post after it? Where I had pointed that the BBC purposely left a gap for commercial sector in the mid 90's and all the commercial sector could give us is crap like GWR Network's so called "better music mix". They could have provided lower budget stations doing a similar thing that Radio 2 is now doing but chose not to.

You shouldn't really taint all commercial radio with this - not everyone operates like GWR/Global, although sadly those that don't are in the decline.

While not sure this is really the right way of dealing with it I've always struggled to understand why R2 has such a far higher budget than R1 - and if R1 has to close for 2 hours every night as it has done for a while now then R2 should too.

Axing Vanessa was never going to happen while R2 is under pressure for more female voices - although personally I would prefer Sara Cox in that slot I presume Vanessa is a cheaper option as she is on London as well.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 (then and now) could not be replicated commercially because it has every advantage going for it that a business operator can never hope to have (guaranteed income, star presenters, ad free, huge transmitters, free prime time TV advertising etc). If you started trying to make Radio 2 "commercial" it would completely unravel and all the unique programmes would very quickly disappear because they're too niche and therefore too expensive to be supported by revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »

Axing Vanessa was never going to happen while R2 is under pressure for more female voices - although personally I would prefer Sara Cox in that slot I presume Vanessa is a cheaper option as she is on London as well.

I don't see why people assume Feltz will be cheaper because she already does a show in London?

Rest assured she will be on an nice wedge over and above her BBC London fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    You shouldn't really taint all commercial radio with this - not everyone operates like GWR/Global, although sadly those that don't are in the decline.

While not sure this is really the right way of dealing with it I've always struggled to understand why R2 has such a far higher budget than R1 - and if R1 has to close for 2 hours every night as it has done for a while now then R2 should too.

OK tell me how the other groups are any better than Global? As for Radio 2 through the night it would make sense to have archive content or even automation which would be better than repeats which is pointless.
  • Options
    xtralargeanorakxtralargeanorak Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I agree with a lot of forum members, 2 hours of repeats overnight is too much!! I would suggest just 3 til 4, if they have to! I reckon cutting 6Music's overnight output would save little to no money and lead to a public outcry. Personally , I would cut back on celebs on Radio 2, where possible, in order to sustain a full overnight live service.