Options

Meet The Police Commissioner (THURSDAY CH4 9pm)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Wrong - The main role of the Commissioner is to appoint the Chief Constable, set out a policing plan, oversee the budget prioritise policing matters and generaly oversee the smooth running of a police service. Not to call or hold their own police force to account. That is the objective of the Police complaints authourity.

Or in other words, follow the government's "cut, cut, cut" agenda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm Ten minutes in, surely this is a Spoof, i'm laughing at it so far.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re-watching this and it's more horrendous the second time.
    The man who retired just had a look of hatred on his face when she was doing her inappropriate farewell speech.
    I live in kent and can't believe that she is basically a leader of our police.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we doing at an ASDA car park? - speaking to people at ASDA (product placement as well too!) lol

minibus: ann force one - aka air force one or G-Force - Guardians of ...... Kent :D
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    What we doing at an ASDA car park? - speaking to people at ASDA (product placement as well too!) lol

minibus: ann force one - aka air force one or G-Force - Guardians of ...... Kent :D

I thought that too :blush:
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Or in other words, follow the government's "cut, cut, cut" agenda.

Possibly :) But i couldn't coment on that of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    LOL its like watching an episode of Operation Good Guys, only with Sherrie Hewson as the lead character.

I still don't believe it was real :D:D:D
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly thought this was a spoof comedy, like Twenty Twelve. The whole thing was so cringy, especially when Ann compared policing with opening a tin of paint :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have to add she kept going on about having tea and sugar lol .... made me think of 2 things ... Mrs Doyle from Father Ted or that White Lines from Grandmaster Flash :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I thought that too :blush:

LOL did Channel 4 display the "PP" on programme I don't think they did :o:confused:
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly :) But i couldn't coment on that of course.

Whats the alternative, other than "Tax Tax Tax" then?
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong - The main role of the Commissioner is to appoint the Chief Constable, set out a policing plan, oversee the budget prioritise policing matters and generaly oversee the smooth running of a police service. Not to call or hold their own police force to account. That is the objective of the Police complaints authourity.

If you read the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 you will see that the police and crime commissioner for a police area must—
    6 (a) secure the maintenance of the police force for that area, and
    (b) secure that the police force is efficient and effective.
    (7) The police and crime commissioner for a police area must hold the relevant chief constable to account for the exercise of—
    (a) the functions of the chief constable, and
    (b) the functions of persons under the direction and control of the chief constable.
    (8)The police and crime commissioner must, in particular, hold the chief constable to account ..
    .(then a list of eight things the chief constable must account for to the PCC)

PCCs have to hold the police to account. They do not set the budget themselves nor oversee the smooth managing of the police force. Those are executive duties performed by senior police officers.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Whats the alternative, other than "Tax Tax Tax" then?

I agree with you mate, I was trying to be sarcastic..

Re the previous post, there is a big difference between "holding the Chief Constable to account" and holding the Police to account" Police Commissioners do have a huge say as to how the Police budget is spent, they do have a huge influence as to how Policing is carried out in their Police Force area and they can and have dismissed Chief Constables who do not carry out their mandates. Every major decision that a Chief Constable wishes to make regarding Policing now has to be cleared by the Crime Commissioner.
    What a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    LOL did Channel 4 display the "PP" on programme I don't think they did :o:confused:

I'm surprised there was no bum patting to bring the point home either :D (as in the old Asda TV ads).
  • Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have been queuing right behind Ann's drama group :D

Do you suppose they are planning to do 'An Inspector Calls'?

Or maybe their own spin on it - An Inspector Quits.....
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,572
    Forum Member
    Why the frig is this not repeated as much as all the other programmes. 4OD want me to remove my ad blocker and it's not being shown until the early hours >:(

This thread has made me want to watch it :blush:
  • Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another Kent Youth Commissioner has bitten the dust, it seems...:o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2648215/Youth-crime-commissioner-20-suspended-close-friendship-married-former-Tory-councillor-50.html#comments

It would be funny if we weren't paying so much for these non-jobs....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    That retirement speech was just agonising that poor bloke!!!
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghespetti wrote: »
    That retirement speech was just agonising that poor bloke!!!

I got the impression he was retiring early. Probably because he now had to deal with an imbecile at the top. He probably had a long career and he was leaving on a low because of an egotistical glory hunter. The rest of the officers and back room staff did not look iverly impressed. She just came across as a batty old woman who was more at home applying another coat of nail polish. Hers was flaky and so was she.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    Yet another Kent Youth Commissioner has bitten the dust, it seems...:o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2648215/Youth-crime-commissioner-20-suspended-close-friendship-married-former-Tory-councillor-50.html#comments

It would be funny if we weren't paying so much for these non-jobs....

I don't understand, what has her private life to do with her job?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I knew I should not have watched the Police Commissioner, it's only been on 2 minutes and I want to scream, she is so dumb it's shocking, the waste of money is disgusting and my faith in this country dies a little more each day. £85,000 a year for painting her nails, she has set women back by centuries!
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew I should not have watched the Police Commissioner, it's only been on 2 minutes and I want to scream, she is so dumb it's shocking, the waste of money is disgusting and my faith in this country dies a little more each day. £85,000 a year for painting her nails, she has set women back by centuries!

Agree with this. That bit with the nail polish made something in me die. She paid £50k of her own money to get elected.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch this programme as it clashed with something else that was on at the time that I wanted to watch but I might watch it if I catch a repeat. As someone who lives in Kent this obviously interests me. I have to ask though, why did the show focus entirely on one PCC, and why did they choose Ann Barnes out of all the elected PCCs? Couldn't be because they thought she'd be the most entertaining, by any chance? Are Channel 4 planning on doing any more of these documentaries on any other PCCs or was this a one-off? By the way, does anyone know when and where it might be repeated?