Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I guess that rule is broken then :p.

Baz

Fortunately I'm not testing it and haven't signed an NDA, or been asked to. I just don't think it's right to say, even though I doubt the world would end.

I don't even know if anyone has been made to sign an NDA or if the service is meant to be a secret. It could just be that Three has chosen not to announce it yet.
  • Options
    RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    If it's an app it's probably got a couple of months lifespan before being overtaken by Voice over Wifi, which I would suspect will now become the default way to support this with the inclusion of it on iOS8.
  • Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAN Man wrote: »
    If it's an app it's probably got a couple of months lifespan before being overtaken by Voice over Wifi, which I would suspect will now become the default way to support this with the inclusion of it on iOS8.

It's been in android for a while too. Two of the largest platforms sorted.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Hi

I guess that rule is broken then :p.

Baz

Don't worry, was just joking with Jon. ;)
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Fortunately I'm not testing it and haven't signed an NDA, or been asked to. I just don't think it's right to say, even though I doubt the world would end.

I don't even know if anyone has been made to sign an NDA or if the service is meant to be a secret. It could just be that Three has chosen not to announce it yet.

Hi

If ur not a beta tester and uv not signed anything, do us all a favour and spill the beans lol. U can even private message me, I won't tell a sole!!

Baz
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,606
    Forum Member
    Hi

If ur not a beta tester and uv not signed anything, do us all a favour and spill the beans lol. U can even private message me, I won't tell a sole!!

Baz

What about a cod or a plaice? ;-)
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reasons why they don't announce these things is in case of delays, we saw the amount of anger and frustration over the 4G delay, which was in most cases only 6-12 weeks. Once you announce dates, people hold Three accountable for them, so hence they aren't announcing anything until they have completed the trial. The date is probably provisional until then.

It IS coming is probably the best message, and it's not at the end of the year or anything, we just need to be patient for a bit longer until we hear the announcement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The main reasons why they don't announce these things is in case of delays, we saw the amount of anger and frustration over the 4G delay, which was in most cases only 6-12 weeks. Once you announce dates, people hold Three accountable for them, so hence they aren't announcing anything until they have completed the trial. The date is probably provisional until then.

It IS coming is probably the best message, and it's not at the end of the year or anything, we just need to be patient for a bit longer until we hear the announcement.

I hope we're not forced to use the app, I hate having apps for apps sake, I can easily add internet calling account to stock android.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »
    I hope we're not forced to use the app, I hate having apps for apps sake, I can easily add internet calling account to stock android.

I hope if and when it appears it's not an excuse for poor coverage. It's a bit of a cop out telling customers they can use their mobile at home with their broadband connection and get charged their normal charges regardless of the network involved. Would it not be better for all of the networks to provide decent indoor coverage to customers rather than offering the lame alternative of using home broadband and Wi-Fi? Didn't Orange offer something similar that used Wi-Fi and an app to replace the need for a picocell box? Same difference but cheaper for the mobile network as no hardware needed.

I most definitely would not buy a contract on the basis of being able to get decent home mobile coverage using my existing and paid for home broadband and Wi-Fi!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope if and when it appears it's not an excuse for poor coverage. It's a bit of a cop out telling customers they can use their mobile at home with their broadband connection and get charged their normal charges regardless of the network involved. Would it not be better for all of the networks to provide decent indoor coverage to customers rather than offering the lame alternative of using home broadband and Wi-Fi? Didn't Orange offer something similar that used Wi-Fi and an app to replace the need for a picocell box? Same difference but cheaper for the mobile network as no hardware needed.

I most definitely would not buy a contract on the basis of being able to get decent home mobile coverage using my existing and paid for home broadband and Wi-Fi!

You know every network has a solution in place for poor signal?

Orange has UMA
    Vectone has a voice over Wi-Fi app
    O2 have a voice over Wi-Fi app
    Three have Home Signal
    Vodafone has Sure Signal
    EE have Signal booster as well.

No network will ever be able to cover 100% of the UK. That's physically impossible. There will always be some places that have poor or no signal and that is where these solutions above come in.

I'm not sure what your point is when every network offers these solutions as a solution for poor signal. I think an App/Booster box is an excellent idea if you're in an area with no signal on any network or often visit areas with low/no signal. No network is perfect. O2 for example have dead spots around me and TU GO is good use for those areas. It's funny how you recommend the O2 app in the past as an example of O2 being a good network. But as soon as Three do something similar it's a "cop out".

Make your mind up Wavejock!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Exactly this, It's a lesson all networks have learnt recently.
    We won't hear anything until there is a concrete date for a new product from any network. In the past there have been too many promises from networks that haven't been kept.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three can't really improve indoor coverage until it starts to use 800MHz, but nor can it give people amazing 4G coverage with no fallback for voice.

So until VoLTE, which will come, this is the only solution for Three. That is unless it fancies building loads of new sites to match 3G coverage, or accepts that people can have data access but not make or receive calls.

Try justifying that to the customers, even though I'd not have a problem. If I have data, I can be contacted by the people who need to reach me.

I've used Vodafone's femtocell before and Oranges UMA service. Both worked very well. Especially Orange's solution. It's a real shame Orange only did it on some really crappy phones and doesn't still use it today. That was a third party app though, albeit as a system app, so maybe it didn't fancy paying them to use it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Three can't really improve indoor coverage until it starts to use 800MHz, but nor can it give people amazing 4G coverage with no fallback for voice.

So until VoLTE, which will come, this is the only solution for Three. That is unless it fancies building loads of new sites to match 3G coverage, or accepts that people can have data access but not make or receive calls.

Try justifying that to the customers, even though I'd not have a problem. If I have data, I can be contacted by the people who need to reach me.

It's a bit rubbish, is 4G running in low power to prevent 4G being available where they can't use voice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Same with EE, and I guess O2 and VF too.

I get 5 bars 3G at home on Three and EE. On 4G, which I'm sure is the same building, it's 2 bars on both.

If I stand near the office that has the site(s) then each are full signal.

I assume neither operator wants 4G coverage to have any chance of exceeding 3G (and 2G). In fact, I personally believe that once all operators have VoLTE then they'll be able to make adjustments that will make a huge difference. It may well fill in some gaps that we're all noticing.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,438
    Forum Member
    The VoWiFi app will be a great addition. It will be a gread addition to any mobile network. Every network has blackspots that will never be filled, but can be filled to some extent by utilising WiFi.

For me, it will come in handy in the office where I get fairly poor signal (had the same on EE 2G/3G, too, so knew it wouldn't improve when I moved) but we have WiFi. Granted, I'm not there all that often, but when I am, it'll be handy to make reliable calls and send texts (even though most of my messages these days are either through iMessage or WhatsApp).

It'll also be useful in places like shopping centres and pubs/bars (on the rare occasion I frequent a pub/bar these days unfortunately :D). My experience of Sky's WiFi hotspots has always been pretty good, so it'll be nice to be able to make calls at the local if I need to.

I get brilliant signal at home, so it won't benefit me at all there, but it will at my Dad's place (pretty poor on all of the 'Big Four except for EE 2G).
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so we're in June and Three's 4G coverage in Greater London is still pretty poor, still only 2 masts in my area since launch.

I've now switched off 4G as im sometimes left without a signal as when I have a 4G signal and it becomes weak, it doesn't automatically connect back to 3G possibly trying to find another 4G station which doesn't exist. Since switching off 4G in the last 2 days have no issues, this happens on trains and buses, so faster moving things rather than walking.

Didn't David Dyson say they could move very quickly if they wanted to, I guess they don't want to....
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is disappointingly slow, but I think it'll pick up pace later in the year and throughout next year. It might be supplier based, it might be that they are holding out for another deal with EE, might be budget related, maybe it's waiting for VoLTE, who knows.

One thing I have noticed is a change to the base station behaviour on 3G in a lot of areas, where the data connection at rest displays 3G. This happened after maintenance in my area, I don't know if this means that the base station is upgraded or just a config change.

I'm happy to see some 4G in my area and look forward to seeing more over time.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is disappointingly slow, but I think it'll pick up pace later in the year and throughout next year. It might be supplier based, it might be that they are holding out for another deal with EE, might be budget related, maybe it's waiting for VoLTE, who knows.

One thing I have noticed is a change to the base station behaviour on 3G in a lot of areas, where the data connection at rest displays 3G. This happened after maintenance in my area, I don't know if this means that the base station is upgraded or just a config change.

I'm happy to see some 4G in my area and look forward to seeing more over time.

I noticed the 3G thing for a time too in my area, although not noticed it for a few weeks now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Have you seen this? think it runs off Three 4G, can anyone confirm?

https://www1.relish.net/athome

Edit: The home service runs completely on Relish's own spectrum (owned by UK Broadband),
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen this? think it runs off Three 4G, can anyone confirm?

https://www1.relish.net/athome

Edit: The home service runs completely on Relish's own spectrum (owned by UK Broadband),

It does not use 3 UK's bandwidth so won't generate any congestion on that network. The company has their own 4G licences using a different frequency range (3.5Ghz) from that used by mobile operators. PCCW have made a previous attempts to launch wireless based broadband in the UK with services called Navigator and Now Boradband.

The parent company PCCW is headed up by Richard Li the son of Hutchison Whampoa's chairman Li Ka Shing.

"Relish is operated by UK Broadband. We provide 4G LTE and other wireless services in a number of cities, towns and commercial campuses for commercial enterprises, public sector organisations and channel partners throughout the UK. Relish is operated by UK Broadband, part of the PCCW Group that includes HKT, Hong Kong’s premier telecommunications service provider and largest mobile service operator."

https://www1.relish.net/aboutus
  • Options
    ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Just noticed this at the bottom of the feel at home press release:

"By the end of 2015 98% of the population will be able to access 4G through a combination of new sites and by deploying new spectrum."

800MHz coming soon, or is that the spectrum that EE gave to them? Or both haha?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just noticed this at the bottom of the feel at home press release:

"By the end of 2015 98% of the population will be able to access 4G through a combination of new sites and by deploying new spectrum."

800MHz coming soon, or is that the spectrum that EE gave to them? Or both haha?

Both of course.

Three wouldn't buy spectrum and not use it.
  • Options
    ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Both of course.

Oops miss-read it, thought it said 2014 :/ my bad
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Both of course.

Haha agreed 800MHz once VoLTE happens will allow Three & EE to compete with O2/Vodafone in terms of indoor coverage. Obviously for EE that will be less of an advantage but for Three it will be quite a big one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    One thing I about new wifi app, will it be good for incoming calls? with an iphone the wifi disconnects when it goes into sleep mode?
This discussion has been closed.