Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,979
    Forum Member
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Ha! I just knew this would appeal to the humour of some posters on this thread! :p

It's the luck Ryan Giggs gives him that does it for me, like he is thinking Stupid Kid what's he done that for, same kind of luck my Dad use to give me when i did something like that at his age.:D
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney on Scholes:

"To be honest, I'm not really interested in what anyone else has got to say.

"I'm interested in what Roy Hodgson and the coaching staff here and the people around me say. People have their opinions but I don't agree with them.

"[Scholes has] been a team-mate but he's been away from the first team for a long time.

"I've seen a lot of you (in the media) saying he's coached me and been around the team but he hasn't. I'm not really going to react. I'm not interested. He's got his opinions so let's leave it at that."
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Rooney on Scholes:

"To be honest, I'm not really interested in what anyone else has got to say.

"I'm interested in what Roy Hodgson and the coaching staff here and the people around me say. People have their opinions but I don't agree with them.

"[Scholes has] been a team-mate but he's been away from the first team for a long time.

"I've seen a lot of you (in the media) saying he's coached me and been around the team but he hasn't. I'm not really going to react. I'm not interested. He's got his opinions so let's leave it at that."

A bit surprised by the bit in bold as I thought Scholes had been helping with the coaching the last few weeks of the season. Fair enough from Rooney, the media has really been going for him the last few days, best to just ignore it and try and shut them up.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    A bit surprised by the bit in bold as I thought Scholes had been helping with the coaching the last few weeks of the season. Fair enough from Rooney, the media has really been going for him the last few days, best to just ignore it and try and shut them up.

He certainly was coaching the first team, when Giggs was in charge, just look at last night's documentary for evidence of that, so I don't quite know why Rooney would say otherwise.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the coaching stuff, but they don't get on at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am slightly surprised by how outspoken Scholes has become since retiring (properly). He certainly is no shrinking violet, and I have to be honest in that I agree with the majority of what he says.

I know he has been out for a few weeks, but Rooney has done nothing in these last two friendlies to suggest he is going to be "on form" at the WC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He certainly was coaching the first team, when Giggs was in charge, just look at last night's documentary for evidence of that, so I don't quite know why Rooney would say otherwise.

He was probably concentrating on defence coaching, our Scholesy :D
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Giggs was manager for what, 3 weeks or something and Rooney spent the majority of that injured, it's not a massive stretch to say Scholes hasn't or barely coached Rooney.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Giggs was manager for what, 3 weeks or something and Rooney spent the majority of that injured, it's not a massive stretch to say Scholes hasn't or barely coached Rooney.

Didn't Rooney score in Giggs' first match in charge? If so, then he would have been trained by Scholes, as he was there on the bench that day.

It just seems like Rooney doesn't like the quotes, which is fair enough, but to go to the lengths that he has, when things like the training bit, can be disproven, does seem to be a bit strange really, like there is some ill-will between the pair of them.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

What y'on about?

Rooney scored the first goal in Giggs first game in charge! The pen v Norwich. He got 2 goals that day.
    He played in all the games, didn't he? He needed to get match fit after being injured.

Scholes is a strange man! He doesn't say a word for 20 years, now he's getting as mouthy as Keane! lol You can't shut him up.
    Is he venting something because he's packed in playing? And this is his way of getting the frustration of that out?!

Don't blame Rooney for being pissed off (if he actually is and if what is alleged to have been said actually was)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is scholes about to get the keane treatment you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    is scholes about to get the keane treatment you think?

How do you mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you mean?

legend until he criticises club or players, then becomes just a bitter man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    legend until he criticises club or players, then becomes just a bitter man.

Scholes can say whatever he likes, he'll always be a legend.

Most United fans have no problem with the majority of what Keane says, in my experience. It's just the obvious axe that he has to grind with Ferguson which means that he occasionally comes across as bitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most United fans have no problem with the majority of what Keane says, in my experience. It's just the obvious axe that he has to grind with Ferguson which means that he occasionally comes across as bitter.

Indeed.

Certain people seem to have got it into their heads that because an ex-United player says something we disagree with, we automatically consider him as bitter for doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ah right, gotcha. thanks
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Didn't Rooney score in Giggs' first match in charge? If so, then he would have been trained by Scholes, as he was there on the bench that day.

Jesus, OK Mr. ****ing pedantic pants and yes he did score, why are you even asking the question, you know he did.

Read, read, READ...
    it's not a massive stretch to say Scholes hasn't or barely coached Rooney

I'm sure Rooney and Scholes shared the same training pitch a couple of times in those few days before Norwich and up until Rooney got injured and missed the rest of the season, I'm sure they were both probably at Carrington at various occasions as well. That doesn't mean Scholes has coached Rooney in any sort of meaningful way, if any training happened it was the bare minimum and certainly not enough for Scholes to make judgement on Rooney being passed his best or not.

This was the point Rooney was making.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member

Completely agree.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Scholes offers an opinion on Rooney as he has every right to do.

Rooney gives measured response so as to close off the "story".

Absolutely nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Scholes offers an opinion on Rooney as he has every right to do.

Rooney gives measured response so as to close off the "story".

Absolutely nothing to see here.

agreed, i also think its great rooney stood up for himself without causing more drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, OK Mr. ****ing pedantic pants and yes he did score, why are you even asking the question, you know he did.

Read, read, READ...

I'm sure Rooney and Scholes shared the same training pitch a couple of times in those few days before Norwich and up until Rooney got injured and missed the rest of the season, I'm sure they were both probably at Carrington at various occasions as well. That doesn't mean Scholes has coached Rooney in any sort of meaningful way, if any training happened it was the bare minimum and certainly not enough for Scholes to make judgement on Rooney being passed his best or not.

This was the point Rooney was making.

I wasn't being pedantic, far from it, I was only pointing out that Scholes did coach him, for however short time frame it was, and anyway, it is not as if those three weeks or so were the only time that they interacted, Scholes would have known Rooney from the many Yeats that they were team-mates, so his mind would have known about Rooney long before his coaching stint.

It is a perfectly valid opinion that Scholes holds, he certainly has seen enough of him to warrent such a one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scholes, Giggs, Cantona, Keane and Robson, they are all legends, and have earnt the right to be able to say and hold whatever views they want, their views will not harm them in that respect, in terms of their standing with us, the fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Keane is phenominal entertainment at times. Love his opinions. Especially "we shouldn't be just coming down here for a sing-song" against ROI during the Euros or the last WC (I can't remember).
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scholes can be as outspoken as he likes doesn't bother me in the slightest.
This discussion has been closed.