Options

Rik Mayall RIP

Comments

• Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    We all know death happens but not everyone wants to treat it like a Looney Tunes cartoon no matter who it is that has passed on. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder what the TV schedulers will do in this case.

Yes but to show a Rik Tribute without the cartoon violence would be disrepectful IMO. It's not quite the same but when Rik was in a coma in 1998 Channel 4 still broadcasted. With the blessings of his family, Four Men In A Car in which Riks Character nearly dies after being hit by a car.
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grimm+tales+rik+mayall

for anyone who never had had the pleasure of watching these.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really gutted - was hoping to see Bottom back on tv set in a retirement home.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Such a shock, poor Rik, he gave us so many laughs.

R.I.P. Rik.
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all watched and loved the Young Ones when I was a teenager, used to go in to school the day after it was on and talk about it. One girl had a video (!) and we used to go round to hers at the weekend and watch it again.

Sad news indeed.
  • Options
    mcmanicmcmanic Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    One of my childhood heroes, shocked that he was so young and makes you realise that time on this planet is so short and then your gone.

R.I.P RIK
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Really gutted - was hoping to see Bottom back on tv set in a retirement home.

Series 4 was apparently going to be set on an island and was supposedly based on the Hooligan's Island stage show.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful news, just found out about an hour ago.

About a year ago i decided that my very large pile of old video tapes needed to be binned, i was never going to watch them again and had nothing to play them on anyway. There were a couple that i felt it was just plain wrong to throw out so i kept them to gather dust for as long as i live and one of them was my collection of Filthy Rich episodes that i taped off the TV way back in the 80s that i watched over and over again.

Top bloke Rik Mayall, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just heard that he died. Shocking and too sad. :( His poor family.

RIP Rik.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Ade has said this.

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.
    They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.
    "And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."
    I think Rik would have appreciated that tribute. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber and Midge Ure will now give permission for their songs to be used in Filthy, Rich and Catflap ?

The final episode was cut to shreds because they couldn't get clearance for "Consider Yourself" and an old Ultravox song (name escapes me..).
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my many favourite moments in 'Bottom' is in the opening credits where, having taken a punch to the bollocks, Richie is sobbing bitterly then suddenly changes his expression to one of blithe indifference.
    I am struggling to emulate that.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed him as Alan B'stard.
    Sad news.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible news.

My mum was a big fan of Rik. She died two months ago and now Rik is gone, one of my comedy legends.

This year sucks. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber and Midge Ure will now give permission for their songs to be used in Filthy, Rich and Catflap ?

The final episode was cut to shreds because they couldn't get clearance for "Consider Yourself" and an old Ultravox song (name escapes me..).

It was Roxanne you dont have to stick your message up a bottle. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    What happens when Rik Mayall spots someone filming him at a promo event? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT1cUTJE1Ac
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Roxanne you dont have to stick your message up a bottle. ;-)

That's it!

Seems strange that Midge Ure didn't give permission for it since he actually appeared in the episode.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a comedy genius, it wasn't so much the actual words themselves (they were funny as heck), but the way he said them, and the timing of the delivery, which made him just oh so very funny!

He will be missed by me that is for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's it!

Seems strange that Midge Ure didn't give permission for it since he actually appeared in the episode.

Yes but Sting wrote Roxanne. Midge URGH did sing his song. OH Vienna, but neither of them knew it. No wonder Andrew Ridgley left the group then.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    We all know death happens but not everyone wants to treat it like a Looney Tunes cartoon no matter who it is that has passed on. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder what the TV schedulers will do in this case.

If you are going to celebrate the life of Rik Mayall, then celebrate the life of Rik Mayall as he will always be remembered, an irreverent, madcap comic talent. To turn away from that would do his legacy a disservice.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    :)

I'm going to put on a smashing blouse in his honour.

I've cracked open the Timotei and will be washing my hair later.

Someone find the vodka margarine.

RIP Rik, you were a bloody genius xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but Sting wrote Roxanne. Midge URGH did sing his song. OH Vienna, but neither of them knew it. No wonder Andrew Ridgley left the group then.

Ahh yes of course, i'm not thinking straight. Of course it was Sting.

It's a pity about "Consider Yourself" though as that particular scene is really quite funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tasked the teenagers with Youtubing Kevin Turvey and Alan B'Stard. I'll be showing the little one (Drop Dead Fred is his favourite film) Jackanory if it's available out there on the Interwebs.

It's so hard to consider such a larger than life person to not be here anymore.

Suggestion for the epitaph: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast :)
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 2 boys grew up watching the iconic Bottom, and can't believe that suddenly he is no longer around.
    Very, very sad indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    I've cracked open the Timotei and will be washing my hair later.

Someone find the vodka margarine.

RIP Rik, you were a bloody genius xx

Ive put on my Smoking Jacket. Along with my Esther Rantzen cocktail of Pernod, Ouzo, Marmalade and Salt. Will be drinking in his honour, Sprouts Mexicane cooking in the Oven. With a pint of Absinthe for backup.