Options

world cup Group D

Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This group needs no introduction- England, Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

Will Suarez play? Will Costa Rica do to England what they did to Scotland, will Rooney keep his temper in track, discuss it all here

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Group D Fixtures:

SATURDAY 14TH JUNE
    Uruguay v Costa Rica
    20:00 - ITV

England v Italy
    23:00 - BBC ONE

THURSDAY 19TH JUNE
    Uruguay v England
    20:00 - ITV

FRIDAY 20TH JUNE
    Italy v Costa Rica
    17:00 - BBC ONE

TUESDAY 24TH JUNE
    Costa Rica v England
    Italy v Uruguay
    17:00 - ITV
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    This is much better than having individual match threads.

I'll be hoping for a goalless draw between Uruguay and Costa Rica to kick things off. I think it'll take something special for us to beat Italy but a draw wouldn't be a bad result in that case.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    This is much better than having individual match threads.

I'll be hoping for a goalless draw between Uruguay and Costa Rica to kick things off. I think it'll take something special for us to beat Italy but a draw wouldn't be a bad result in that case.

Somehow I think that the presence of group threads won't stop match discussion threads being started ;).
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    It's not just home bias that leads me to think this is one of the trickiest to predict. Nevertheless, I'll put my neutral hat on and try and come to a decision.

Uruguay - regardless of Suarez, they should almost certainly win the group. They have a wealth of great players to draw upon and can be very aggressive, especially against a naive team like England. However Italy's excellent defense will probably prove a great challenge for them and I think Italy will secure a draw. Other than that, I think two victories are likely.

England - well what can I say? Don't believe the hype, as always. We are currently an unremarkable team and stand little change against a ferocious Uruguay. However, with the right attitude and by learning how to hold on to a lead, we can beat Italy. We definitely should beat Costa Rica, and therefore I will tentatively suggest we can come second in the group. Fingers crossed!

Italy - these are a team that deserve respect but not fear. It will be hard to beat them but again, with the right play from other teams, Italy will also have a tough job winning games against us and Uruguay. I think a 0-0 draw with Uruguay is likely and a narrow loss to England is possible. This unfortunately means that Italy would go home with 4 points. Will this actually happen? Who knows, but that's a group of death for you.

Costa Rica - sadly, there is always a fall guy in a group such as this and all teams will inevitably go all-out on Costa Rica for an achievable three points. Looking at Costa Rica, I don't think they can prevent this. A draw with us and Italy is possible, but that would be a serious disappointment for both teams. I'm afraid I expect three losses.

Predictions:
    Uruguay - 7 (drawing with Italy)
    England - 6 (losing to Uruguay)
    Italy - 4 (beating Costa Rica, drawing with Uruguay)
    Costa Rica - 0
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    It's not just home bias that leads me to think this is one of the trickiest to predict.

You're right. There have been reports saying this group is actually the hardest to call because the teams are closest together in turns of FIFA rankings. Uruguay are 7th, Italy 9th and England 10th!

It could go any way but I'm being optimistic and saying England will go through at Italy's expense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »
    You're right. There have been reports saying this group is actually the hardest to call because the teams are closest together in turns of FIFA rankings. Uruguay are 7th, Italy 9th and England 10th!

It could go any way but I'm being optimistic and saying England will go through at Italy's expense.

And of course it's never as simple as FIFA ranking anyway - hence my prediction that Italy will draw with Uruguay but be beaten by us! It's a really complicated group full of 4 very different teams. If I wasn't English I'd be highly excited for it. I still am, but I'm more filled with dread over how unpredictable our chance are...
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy are a weird team. They are either phenomenal or terrible and they are never great in the group stages. I think it will be very tough for them, although I'm hoping that both Italy and England go through at Uruguay's expense :p
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person wondering what Costa Rica did to Scotland?

Edit: seems it's about their win against them 24 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Italy are a weird team. They are either phenomenal or terrible and they are never great in the group stages. I think it will be very tough for them, although I'm hoping that both Italy and England go through at Uruguay's expense :p

If I remember correctly, in the last World Cup they finished bottom of their group – below even New Zealand! A repeat of that would be nice.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    ... We definitely should beat Costa Rica, and therefore I will tentatively suggest we can come second in the group. Fingers crossed!

FIFA rankings

http://touch.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

26 Ecuador
    28 Costa Rica
    33 Honduras
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one can argue with that logic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, in the last World Cup they finished bottom of their group – below even New Zealand! A repeat of that would be nice.

They also won the World Cup in 2006 and were runners up in 2012
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FIFA rankings

http://touch.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

26 Ecuador
    28 Costa Rica
    33 Honduras

That's a rather simplistic view of things. A friendly versus a World Cup tie is not a fair comparison. Not to mention that we spent half the match avoiding injuries due to Honduras' dirty play. That isn't the case with Costa Rica and we will have the motivation to push for a win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy also came third in the Confederations Cup, so I wouldn't discount them completely. Uruguay may be the surprise of this tournament if it fails in the group stages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also won the World Cup in 2006 and were runners up in 2012

I have Italy in the sweepstake so there will be a little part of me wanting them to do well. (If/when England go out of course)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Italy may get out of the group but won't reach the final.

History predicts they'll lose the 2018 final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy may get out of the group but won't reach the final.

History predicts they'll lose the 2018 final.

Do you mean that a European team has never won in South America? It could change (although unlikely). A European team won in Africa.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Englad to lose against Italy and Uruguay and beat Costa Rica.

Uruguay to win the group after beating Italy in the last group game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Uruguay don't perform as well as everyone expects. They are unlikable for some reason.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Uruguay don't perform as well as everyone expects. They are unlikable for some reason.

Gus Poyet is ok. :)
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Suarez doesn't play against Costa Rica, then plays against England
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uruguay v Costa Rica

Can't see anything other than a Uruguay win here, but I think it will be the only points that Uruguay pick up.

England v Italy

This has draw written all over it. In the last 4 world cups Italy have won once and drew 3 times in their opening fixture, England fare slightly better with 2 wins & 2 draws. none of the 5 draws were goalless so I'm going for 1-1.

Uruguay v England
    Italy v Costa Rica

Wins for both England & Italy. Uruguay will be relying on an injured/not fully fit Suarez and an aging Forlan.

Costa Rica are just not good enough. They didn't make the last world cup and lost all 3 fixtures in Germany 8 years ago.

Cost Rica v England
    Italy v Uruguay

Once again wins for Italy & England for the same reasons as above.

As England get their (on paper) easiest game last, I would have them as top of the group but it really could go either way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Uruguay are more than just Suarez and Forlan to be fair. Cavani for example has scored goals against Brazil, Italy, Columbia and Argentina amongst others in the past year.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean that a European team has never won in South America? It could change (although unlikely). A European team won in Africa.

No I'm simply going by the pattern below:

1970: Final
    1982: Winners
    1994: Final
    2006: Winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm simply going by the pattern below:

1970: Final
    1982: Winners
    1994: Final
    2006: Winners.

Hah never realised this pattern. So they should be finalists in Russia.