Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,710
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Genuine question for you, not a dig, but, hyperthetically, IF (and I know it's a big if) ITV bought BB, would you still watch it? Did you watch it when it was on C4?
    Yes, I've always followed Big Brother. The only series I recall skipping was BB10 where I made a judgement call following a disappointing launch and didn't come back.

I would certainly give it a chance were the show to come to itv, without knowing how it might evolve on one of their channels. It doesn't really matter to me what channel it's broadcast on as my interest in BB as a show and my interest in C5 as a business are two separate interests that just so happen to conveniently collide, however I like that it has raised C5's profile in an exciting way (certainly the celebrity version). I find that fascinating to observe, and I'd like to see more appointment-to-view shows come to C5 under Viacom.

I think itv in comparison have more to lose than gain if they went after BB. Given I believe C5 will fight hard to keep it they'd probably end up spending more for the rights than it is now worth, and on top of that it might not look good for them picking up an ex C4/C5 show, even if they stuck it on a digital channel.

It would be mildly amusing witnessing a considerable change of tune in here though.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Yes, I've always followed Big Brother. The only series I recall skipping was BB10 where I made a judgement call following a disappointing launch and didn't come back.

I would certainly give it a chance were the show to come to itv, without knowing how it might evolve on one of their channels. It doesn't really matter to me what channel it's broadcast on as my interest in BB as a show and my interest in C5 as a business are two separate interests that just so happen to conveniently collide, however I like that it has raised C5's profile in an exciting way (certainly the celebrity version). I find that fascinating to observe, and I'd like to see more appointment-to-view shows come to C5 under Viacom.

I think itv in comparison have more to lose than gain if they went after BB. Given I believe C5 will fight hard to keep it they'd probably end up spending more for the rights than it is now worth, and on top of that it might not look good for them picking up an ex C4/C5 show, even if they stuck it on a digital channel.

It would be mildly amusing witnessing a considerable change of tune in here though.

You know, despite me occasionally being deliberately obtuse with you (I don't know why - it's something I can't explain), I am totally respectful of your posts. Yes, I'm an annoying git but I applaud you for your informative, well written posts, all of which contain genuine facts and well reasoned arguments. Thanks for replying to my post and answering my question. I'm not trying to be patronising, but I genuinely do regard you as a good contributor on this thread. You certainly know how to stick up for yourself! Cheers Dan.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    The editing has been toned down. Do you not remember CBB8? That was incredibly cheesy.

Still could do with live coverage on the website but it doesn't really matter now since most of the hardcore fans have left the show. Because Channel 5 blocked most of them on Facebook. Truth is they have turned the show into something it is not supposed to be and needs to be fixed for next year badly.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a much needed revamp of the Xtra Factor too following from the judges being revealed, as Caroline Flack has quit. I liked Caroline at first and she was great on IACGMOOHN but last year was just terrible and pretty unwatchable most of the time, granted the terrible co host didn't help.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    We're talking tens of thousands here, but in terms of the series average it could end up being significant who knows.

Surely viewers watching on C5+24 will be very, very small. Can't see it affecting the series average at all - but agree with what some are saying. Those numbers should be looked at individually and not factored into the final series average. Same with +1 ratings. I much prefer to see the breakdown as opposed to been bundled into one figure.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Coronation Street (01/06) - 7.56m (28.4%) / 8.41m (31.5%)

Not bad at all then.
    lewiep93 wrote: »

Series high for Happy Valley. What a success it's been!
    Summary of Happy Valley ratings

[B]Episode			    Overnight Rating	Official Rating[/B]
    Episode 1 (29 April 2014)   6.26m (27.3%)	7.64m (+1.38m)
    Episode 2 (06 May 2014)     5.40m (25.3%)	6.62m (+1.22m)
    Episode 3 (13 May 2014)	    5.72m (26.8%)	6.79m (+1.06m)
    Episode 4 (20 May 2014)	    5.79m (26.7%)	7.33m (+1.54m)
    Episode 5 (27 May 2014)	    5.34m (22.2%)	7.10m (+1.76m)
    Episode 6 (03 June 2014)    6.18m (28.0%)	7.78m (+1.60m)
    [B]Average			    5.78m (26.1%)	7.21m (+1.43m)[/B]

Got the whole thing on my planner. Only downloaded it after hearing the hype surrounding it. No pressure then...
    Well, Sunday at nine is a bloody good slot, regardless of whether Corrie is usually there or not.

Not in June it's not. And it wasn't surrounded with any good rating shows. Just completely abandoned and was only stuck there to keep the BGT week consistent - even though the week that followed saw Corrie all over the place. In short, it was a terrible slot - but it held up remarkably well.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The BBC has an absolutely terrific view from their studio in Brazil over Copa Cabana beach, beautiful view. And the titles have been well received over twitter, embracing Brazilian music and culture. Ferdinand has made a strong debut so far as a BBC pundit. So the signs are all there for a strong world cup for the BBC. Hopefully they will get the target 9.5million coverage average for the late England game on Saturday night.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The BBC has an absolutely terrific view from their studio in Brazil over Copa Cabana beach, beautiful view. And the titles have been well received over twitter, embracing Brazilian music and culture. Ferdinand has made a strong debut so far as a BBC pundit. So the signs are all there for a strong world cup for the BBC. Hopefully they will get the target 9.5million coverage average for the late England game on Saturday night.

The titles have been well received on twitter? Well, that's just fantastic. I'm actually welling up here.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see also Twitter is full of praise of the seating the BBC have decided to purchase for their coverage. Thanks to Ikea. :D
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV's studio is pretty much next door so they'll have the same view. We'll see how else they match up.
  • Options
    AdysgAdysg Posts: 36
    Forum Member

The ITV Sport studio will have exactly the same view, how you gonna put a negative-bias spin on that one ?

The titles are truly shocking... really bad! Are they not supposed to excite and entice us for this festival of football ? They did nothing for me! But hey I supposed if the Beeb missed a goal on Saturday, you would claim it was well received on Twitter... :D

Agreed, Rios input was perfectly fine.. didn't expect much from him really. Think the BBC got the better over ITV in this department, especially now Roy Keane is no longer there to mix things up!

And the audience, achievable yes. But is this a self imposed (bias and slightly lower) target - just to cover your back ? Or have the BBC set themselves this 'target' ?
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah we shouldnt be allowed to add +1 ratings or +24 ratings. Its actually not allowed according to independent data verifier BARB who strictly have separate tables for the +1 and +24 channels. Otherwise why dont we add all the iplayer ratings to the BBCs ratings to bump up their ratings?

Important to remember some of the Iplayer viewings are added into the BARB ratings already. Anyone who watches Iplayer on a TV set is included in the relevant overnights/officials. Watching Iplayer on a PC, laptop, tablet, mobile etc (which is the majority) is not included by BARB though.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Made up low target alert - check
    Well received on Twitter - check.

Putting bets on the complete opposite being posted around 730 tonight. ITV's titles poorly received, presentation awful, awful studio, hate on Twitter, 20m target for ITV etc etc. so obvious.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

Putting bets on the complete opposite being posted around 730 tonight. ITV's titles poorly received, presentation awful, awful studio, hate on Twitter, 20m target for ITV etc etc. so obvious.

I see the Punch and Judy Show has started early today !!!
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Interesting that Corrie and EE will clash on 23rd June. When was the last time that happened?
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I see the Punch and Judy Show has started early today !!!

Like button please
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    The titles have been well received on twitter? Well, that's just fantastic. I'm actually welling up here.
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

Can you wake me up when it's all over? But, I can't remember ANY (repeat ANY) of ITV's sporting themes. I do remember the BBC's though as they are traditionally more epic. I haven't seen or heard the BBC's titles or themes yet so can't pass judgement, but at the end of the day, who the hell cares about opening titles? Surely it's the football that people will tuning in for.

Can we have a pre-tournament agreement?

Can we agree that ratings for the World Cup are going to be largely unimportant for either channel until the time comes when both sides show exactly the same match? ITV have some good games, BBC1 have some good games. Ratings are going to be determined upon the interest shown in a particular match and not what channel it's on. I really don't see the point in "ITV/BBC1 (delete as applicable) were triumphant in the ratings last night and are clearly thrashing the other side in their world cup coverage" posts because it is the football match itself that got the ratings, the channel it was broadcast on is just academic. An idea might be to just have a daily "World Cup Ratings Round-Up" and record the ratings by all means but not argue about which channel is best. Otherwise this thread will be a horrid place for the next month.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it being called fantastic by the same muppets who declared that The Royal Bodyguard was hilarious? I await with baited breath.......or not.

What is this Car Share I keep hearing about, I assumed it was some sort of realy show but from recent comments here it appears not.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dose of Piles is funnier than The Royal Bodyguard!

When you take into consideration the classic sitcoms of yesteryear, a lot of attention was made to the title of the show. Nowadays commissioners just agree to anything being made. Names are hardly ever considered. These people should be able to be clever enough to look at the title and think "that sounds shit" and be done with it. But worryingly, they don't!

CAR SHARE LATEST NEWS

Here's the latest I've found on Car Share (originally scheduled for Spring 2014):

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/the-week-in-comedy-peter-kay-steers-the-bbc-in-a-new-direction-with-latest-project-car-share-9081598.html

Never mind I should have waited to read on a couple of post before I asked heh.

Peter Kay yuck, definitely won't be watching that then.

If of course they ever show it I mean.:D:D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@TVRatingsUK: ITV was the most watched channel from 7 to 10pm. At 8, a new series of #AllStarMrandMrs began with 4.15m/22.0%, ahead of Watchdog's 3.55m."

Sod off Watchdog. You are rubbish now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@TVRatingsUK: ITV was the most watched channel from 7 to 10pm. At 8, a new series of #AllStarMrandMrs began with 4.15m/22.0%, ahead of Watchdog's 3.55m."

Sod off Watchdog. You are rubbish now.

Is a 22% share quite high for a 4.15m rating? Credit to ITV, but does it suggest that the overall telly audience was quite low last night?

I don't have any doubt though, that ITV's schedule last night was more varied and appealing than the same old dross on BBC1.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at this. Wasn't Mary Portas a big signing for Channel 4.

"@TVRatingsUK: On Channel 4 at 8pm, #MarysSilverService fell flat with just 0.47m/2.5% watching, down 230k on last week."
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 doing a spoiler on Rising Star with Alan Carr as host.
    http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/commissioning/c4-orders-real-time-voting-show/5073022.article
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Look at this. Wasn't Mary Portas a big signing for Channel 4.

"@TVRatingsUK: On Channel 4 at 8pm, #MarysSilverService fell flat with just 0.47m/2.5% watching, down 230k on last week."

Trouble is, Mary Portas is telling us her opinion is right and the way she does things is the only way to do it. It speaks volumes that people are turning off because there are enough arrogant people in the real world let alone watching one for entertainment.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is a 22% share quite high for a 4.15m rating? Credit to ITV, but does it suggest that the overall telly audience was quite low last night?

I don't have any doubt though, that ITV's schedule last night was more varied and appealing than the same old dross on BBC1.

Agree,have to say there was much criticism of the schedules for both ITV and BBC
    ahead of the last two weeks,both have been pretty poor in my opinion,but I would say ITV seem to have come out of it ratings wise a lot better than the BBC.
This discussion has been closed.