Options

Casy Kasem imminent death :(

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The voice of Shaggy - from Scooby Doo cartoons - (one of the most memorable cartoon characters of them all) is close to death.

Casey Kasem was also the long term presenter of the American Top 40 pop chart (which he co-created).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/casey-kasems-daughter-explains-end-of-life-decision-for-her-father/

I can't imagine there's many people that haven't seen a Scooby Doo cartoon at one point in their lives. Kasem voiced Shaggy from 1967 to 2009. I'd put Shaggy up there with Fred Flintstone, Homer Simpson.

Comments

• Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad. :cry:

"Transitioning our father's treatment to comfort-oriented care was one of the hardest decisions we've ever had to make. For the last 11 days, our father has been surrounded day and night by love and care by his daughters Kerri and Julie, his son Mike, his brother Mouner and sister-in-law Mary, and his dear friend Gonzalo Venecia," she wrote.

from above link
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the great man himself would say 'Yikes, Scoob'...
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,040
    Forum Member
    Crikey, I thought he had already left us.

Shame. I enjoyed that American pop chart show that was shown over here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Aw that's so sad :( he has a very distinctive voice. I hope he and his family are doing okay and can have some peace.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,975
    Forum Member
    It is sad obviously Shaggy from Scooby Doo is one of the iconic characters and Casey Kasem is the reason behind that but in all honesty it will be a blessing for him when he does pass on as apparently he has Bed Sores, Fluid on the Lungs, failing Kidneys and Dementia, it can't be any sort of life for him or his family, just hope he has a peaceful passing.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

It was repeated until recently on Smooth 70's in full every weekend until the station was closed down.

Sad to hear the news. I belive there has been some family rift too. Never good news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was repeated until recently on Smooth 70's in full every weekend until the station was closed down.

Sad to hear the news. I belive there has been some family rift too. Never good news.

Don't get me started.

Cannot post it here but if anyone wants details pm me.>:(
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »

I remember watching that in the late 80's/early 90's (I think, it was a long time ago now). I do remember thinking, quite a lot of the time, that the US had even worse taste in music than the UK seemed to have at the time!

I also thought he was long gone. He looked ancient back then, but I guess when you're a teen most older people look like that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I remember watching that in the late 80's/early 90's (I think, it was a long time ago now). I do remember thinking, quite a lot of the time, that the US had even worse taste in music than the UK seemed to have at the time!

I also thought he was long gone. He looked ancient back then, but I guess when you're a teen most older people look like that...

Reminds me of my dad.

'i saw xyx today who was in my class at school.
    He's a right old man now'.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't his catch phrase something like "remember, keep your feet on the ground but reach for the stars".
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Wasn't his catch phrase something like "remember, keep your feet on the ground but reach for the stars".

Yeah, something like that. I do remember that it was often on so late that I'd nod off and wake up as he was saying that at the end :D. It was on ITV, I think. In the days before all those gambling shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I was very sad to learn of this the other day.

I feel like all the people who's work I've grown up watching are leaving us. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    The voice of Shaggy - from Scooby Doo cartoons - (one of the most memorable cartoon characters of them all) is close to death.

Casey Kasem was also the long term presenter of the American Top 40 pop chart (which he co-created).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/casey-kasems-daughter-explains-end-of-life-decision-for-her-father/

I can't imagine there's many people that haven't seen a Scooby Doo cartoon at one point in their lives. Kasem voiced Shaggy from 1967 to 2009. I'd put Shaggy up there with Fred Flintstone, Homer Simpson.

I dont think they would ever allow something like this in the UK.

I remember him as Shaggy in the cartoons. Didnt he voice some recent cartoon.
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the great man himself would say 'Yikes, Scoob'...

I think it was Zoinks. Shaggy was the best cartoon character and voiced brilliantly by Casey.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only know him from an episode of "Saved By the Bell" when he came to Bay Side to judge a dance competition. I remember Screech and Lisa won even though she was on crutches which meant they could only manage a weird geeky dance which Casey referred to as "The Screech" :D
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was so fab

So sad :(
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww Casey, :(.

Seemed such a gentle person. Loved his presenting ways on the US Chart Show.
  • Options
    reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad. :cry:

"Transitioning our father's treatment to comfort-oriented care was one of the hardest decisions we've ever had to make. For the last 11 days, our father has been surrounded day and night by love and care by his daughters Kerri and Julie, his son Mike, his brother Mouner and sister-in-law Mary, and his dear friend Gonzalo Venecia," she wrote.

from above link

I though they were withdrawing water from him that doesn't sound like 'comfort-oriented care' to me. :(
  • Options
    sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I used to LOVE listening to his American chart countdown on BBC radio in the 1970s with songs I hadn't heard here in the UK like Juice Newton "Angel Of The Morning" etc... and those little trivia questions he used to pose. However, I had absolutely no idea that he voiced Scooby Doo. I always watched it but never consciously realised it was his voice. What a shame Smooth 70s closed.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Shaggy :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reddress wrote: »
    I though they were withdrawing water from him that doesn't sound like 'comfort-oriented care' to me. :(

If his organs are shutting down his body won't be able to process the water properly leaving a blockage and pain. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Didn't he have a living will stating if he gets to the point whrre his mind and body have gone he doesn't want to be kept alive? If so as sad as it is I'm glad his wishes are being fulfilled.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,496
    Forum Member
    *Cadhla* wrote: »
    I think it was Zoinks. Shaggy was the best cartoon character and voiced brilliantly by Casey.

He also did some of the voices in Battle Of The Planets. G-FORCE!
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Cadhla* wrote: »

Oh. I always thought it was yikes.

I bloody loved Scooby Doo as a kid. They RUINED it with Scrappy Doo - an absolute travesty.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched many American Top 10 with him presenting. It was the weirdest thing seeing Shaggy, a teenage hippy, fond of "scooby snacks" as a middle aged man!

As he's not going to recover :( I hope his passing is quiet and pain free.
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC reporting he has died, per his daughter.