Options

In light of recent developements, what should I tell my immigrant friend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An ex-classmate of mine has recently been offered a position in London by King's College, London in the biological sciences department. He is of Asian origin, spent quite a number of years in the US and has recently completed his PhD at Stanford. His thesis was on designing molecular beacons and detection systems, he explained it to me briefly but it just went over my head.

The offer from King's is among one of many, he also has a few offers from US universities. He is keen to take up the appointment at King's but has asked me for my advice on living in the UK.

Should I dissuade him from coming over here and stay in the USA instead, in light of the anti immigrant sentiment that I am reading about in the UK? Obviously he is also going to be adding to the overall population here in our little island.

Anyway, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell him to take the position at King's College. This country needs people of that calibre.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why you should dissuade him. London is by and large a very welcoming place. Talented people can make good lives here and do very well.

Anyway many of the sort of people that are anti-immigration are generally against those that come to sponge and play the system, not those who'll actually contribute and have advanced skills.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo the anti-immigration sentiment here relates to the numbers involved and the fact the vast majority of them are low skilled workers, it is not about individuals or those with skills needed here.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Imo the anti-immigration sentiment here relates to the numbers involved and the fact the vast majority of them are low skilled workers, it is not about individuals or those with skills needed here.

Exactly.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

The "numbers involved" consist of individuals though, don't they?
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your friend is overqualified to come here. How is he at washing cars ?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "numbers involved" consist of individuals though, don't they?

1 person invited into your living room is an individual, 100 people 'invited' into your living room is still composed of individuals but the numbers are important.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see what you are doing here, but it doesn't wash.

There can barely be one person in the country who doesn't welcome people of his calibre.

And you know darn well there isn't.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Tell him that apart from a few racist nut jobs and the 10% of the electorate who voted UKIP, he will be made very welcome in this country.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him that apart from a few racist nut jobs and the 10% of the electorate who voted UKIP, he will be made very welcome in this country.

I voted UKIP because I want to leave the EU. Talented people like the OP describes are welcomed here by virtually everyone. You know that and are just having a dig... as probably is the OP.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should I dissuade him from coming over here and stay in the USA instead, in light of the anti immigrant sentiment that I am reading about in the UK? Obviously he is also going to be adding to the overall population here in our little island.

Anyway, what do you think?

We're British, the anti immigration sentiment is expressed in votes for UKIP and rants on forums like this. He'll be fine over here.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never been to the US, but i cant think anyone reasonably successful would choose to leave there, for here.

Usa is a nice big country, cheap housing motoring, high standard of living, UK is expensive and cramped, and cold.

Nothing to do with his nationality.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    I have never been to the US, but i cant think anyone reasonably successful would choose to leave there, for here.

Usa is a nice big country, cheap housing motoring, high standard of living, UK is expensive and cramped, and cold.

Nothing to do with his nationality.

In November 2012 the U.S. Census Bureau said more than 16% of the population lived in poverty, including almost 20% of American children,[7] up from 14.3% (approximately 43.6 million) in 2009 and to its highest level since 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_the_United_States
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    an educated useful English speaking immigrant - if only they were all like your friend,there'd be far fewer immigration problems.
    Some will hate what i've said,but it's common sense
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and you can tell a persons occupation or skill level as they walk down the street or from their accent?,
    Because I may be wrong but, I think most acts of racially motivated violence don't usually begin with "excuse me old chap sorry to be a dashed nuisance but would one mind informing us of your qualifications and employment status before we proceed to stamp on your head and request that you 'F' off back where you came from?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and you can tell a persons occupation or skill level as they walk down the street or from their accent?,
    Because I may be wrong but, I think most acts of racially motivated violence don't usually begin with "excuse me old chap sorry to be a dashed nuisance but would one mind informing us of your qualifications and employment status before we proceed to stamp on your head and request that you 'F' off back where you came from?"

Why doesn't't DS have a like button?
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member

Methinks you're confusing anti immigration sentiment with racially motivated violence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    Methinks you're confusing ain't immigration sentiment with racially motivated violence.

It's not difficult to confuse the two based on the rhetoric employed.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    It's not difficult to confuse the two based on the rhetoric employed.

What, you mean like
    " an educated useful English speaking immigrant - if only they were all like your friend,there'd be far fewer immigration problems.
    Some will hate what i've said,but it's common sense"

"I voted UKIP because I want to leave the EU. Talented people like the OP describes are welcomed here by virtually everyone. You know that and are just having a dig... as probably is the OP."

"There can barely be one person in the country who doesn't welcome people of his calibre. "

"Anyway many of the sort of people that are anti-immigration are generally against those that come to sponge and play the system, not those who'll actually contribute and have advanced skills."

"Imo the anti-immigration sentiment here relates to the numbers involved and the fact the vast majority of them are low skilled workers, it is not about individuals or those with skills needed here."

" Tell him to take the position at King's College. This country needs people of that calibre."
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim asian or the other lads?
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    I voted UKIP because I want to leave the EU. Talented people like the OP describes are welcomed here by virtually everyone. You know that and are just having a dig... as probably is the OP.

And that's the reason why most people voted UKIP. Unfortunately, your detractors on here cannot divorce uncontrolled immigration from controlled immigration.

Perhaps they just short-circuit to the word "racist" when the read posts such as yours. They don't seem to be able to work out that freedom of movement for EU citizens and not for non-EU citizens might be construed as racism in itself. I'm beginning to believe it's a medical condition.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need high skilled people.

We don't need unskilled people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We need high skilled people.

We don't need unskilled people.

Really? Who cleans the streets, empties bins, serves in MacDonalds, etc. all vital jobs but not skilled.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Who cleans the streets, empties bins, serves in MacDonalds, etc. all vital jobs but not skilled.

You really believe we need to import people to fulfill these roles?

Oh and serving in MacDonalds is vital? :o
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are still over 2 million unemployed yet you would be happy to import more cheap labour? :confused: