Options

This commerative Sun to every household

Comments

• Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This edition is a one off.

What about all the other free mail that comes every day.
    Dolmino Pizza, Pizza Hut, Everest Double Glazing just to name three, all delivered by Royal Mail.
    I take it most of you bin that too.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    To celebrate the start of the world cup the Sun has sent a special free paper to every household celebrating what it is to be English.
    What's your verdict of it - cringe, or a quite a nice gesture to celebrate the start of England's campaign?

What are we supposed to do with it - It is not fit to wrap my chips in, my brain hurts trying to go down to it's level to read and the wife would give me a clip around the ear hole should I even think of the even considering looking at page 3.

I suppose we could line the bin with it - but really is that fair on the rubbish that it has to be brought down to this level.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    In a statement, a spokesman for the Labour leader said: "Ed Miliband was promoting England's bid to win the World Cup and is proud to do so."

That has to be a contender for the lamest excuse of the year.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I see your point, some people are going over the top.

But I really wouldn't be happy to have a copy of the Sun - or any other tabloid - forced on me either.

People aren't being held down with their eyes opened and forced to look at it whilst somebody turns the pages in front of them, Dick Dastardly style. It comes with the other junk mail, so people ought to just bin it if it is of no interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Calm down, calm down.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    It comes with the other junk mail, so people ought to just bin it if it is of no interest.
    I'd avoid the #SendBackTheSun hashtag on Twitter, there are people who are going much further than allowing a postie to put their copy in the recycling bin.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,057
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    People aren't being held down with their eyes opened and forced to look at it whilst somebody turns the pages in front of them, Dick Dastardly style. It comes with the other junk mail, so people ought to just bin it if it is of no interest.

Anyone proud to be English is likely to be deeply offended by The Sun presenting itself as something the English should be proud of?

A newspaper closely connected with the hacking of a dead child's phone and corrupt payments to officials and paid I believe paid millions to a sex offender (Max Clifford) over the years, certainly something to be proud of.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That has to be a contender for the lamest excuse of the year.

I am pretty much in a state of shock that a Labour leader could promote a Sun campaign. I handed my card in years ago but still vote for them. Until now. But what do I have in common with someone who can hold a copy of that rag.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got one.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    and paid I believe paid millions to a sex offender (Max Clifford) over the years, certainly something to be proud of.

So Did the bbc. Are they not english anymore either?

Like it or not, for years the sun have successfully associated themselves with the national football team. Many flags flown from cars or houses will have been purchasd/collected through the paper.

The Liverpool 'rule' that you're not allowed to purchase/sell/deliver/look at/have pushed through your letterbox/bin it without some sort of "look how much I hate it" gesture is not one shared by most of the country, otherwise the paper would have gone bust 25 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd avoid the #SendBackTheSun hashtag on Twitter, there are people who are going much further than allowing a postie to put their copy in the recycling bin.

I will avoid it. I don't know how folk can be bothered tbh
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    So Did the bbc. Are they not english anymore either?

Like it or not, for years the sun have successfully associated themselves with the national football team. Many flags flown from cars or houses will have been purchasd/collected through the paper.

The Liverpool 'rule' that you're not allowed to purchase/sell/deliver/look at/have pushed through your letterbox/bin it without some sort of "look how much I hate it" gesture is not one shared by most of the country, otherwise the paper would have gone bust 25 years ago.

I think Hillsborough was tragic but Liverpudlians should move on....they are forever harping on about it.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Are they thinking of bombing the Sun headquarters.
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Yup, I most certainly will do.

The reason for people getting so worked up about this is a matter of principle based on what utter crap The Sun is and what harm it has done to hundreds or thousands of people since Rupert bought it in 1969.

Frankly, with all the cr*p that the papers, especially The Mail and the Sun, have done, my principles are not to simply let them continue to get away with it.

It may not have much effect, but it will certainly make me feel better about myself and teach them that not everyone would even want a free copy of this paper.

Well, if you feel so strongly about it, like you said, there is little to lose.
    elliecat wrote: »
    They can also store them in those grey boxes located next to some post boxes, I always wondered what they were for until one day I saw a postie putting his bags in one. Our old postie used to get someone to drive him to his flat and he would put his bags there and go back when his bag was empty.

I wondered what they were as well. Just another communications box, until I saw what you saw, as there are loads of the latter around here, as the area has cable, fibre and phone cabinets.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine went straight in the wheelie bin as soon as I found it on returning home from work yesterday. With a bit of luck it will be recycled into toilet roll within the next few weeks.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got mine this morning and my biggest wonderance is "why the heck didn't they include a suduko puzzle in it". Had they done that then I'da been a happy bunny, otherwise a brief skim told me it was basically a big "England yay" piece of blahblahblah. Definately NOT for treasuring
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are we supposed to do with it - It is not fit to wrap my chips in, my brain hurts trying to go down to it's level to read and the wife would give me a clip around the ear hole should I even think of the even considering looking at page 3.

I suppose we could line the bin with it - but really is that fair on the rubbish that it has to be brought down to this level.

Yep. The Sun will be kidnapping all the other rubbish or go to war with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Got mine this morning and my biggest wonderance is "why the heck didn't they include a suduko puzzle in it". Had they done that then I'da been a happy bunny, otherwise a brief skim told me it was basically a big "England yay" piece of blahblahblah. Definately NOT for treasuring

They are selling big puzzle books in the 99p shop here. Costing 99p (who knew). :p
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never got one :(
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    They are selling big puzzle books in the 99p shop here. Costing 99p (who knew). :p
    but I want my puzzles hand delivered for free dammit. >:(
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I never got one :(

I got five, three on Thursday, two on Friday :confused:
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Are they thinking of bombing the Sun headquarters.
    No as critics of The Sun are not anti-patriotic republican extremist terrorists.

Maybe its a cut out and keep guide in today's paper on how men should plan their day by grunting to the wife, making her "take over barbecue duties" and keeping the "wife sweet" which gets people's backs up by broadcasting a undertone of sexism and misogyny which should have been left in the 50's where it belongs and picked up this morning by Labour MP Stella Creasy on Twitter. Maybe its those things which people disagree a newspaper should be promoting and why people have an issue with The Sun?
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    I have not received one. If I do then I will simply put it straight into the recycling in and forget about it.

As for Ed Miliband, I actually feel a little sorry for him (not just because he has to work with Ed Balls ;-) ). If he hadn't posed with his copy then I am sure that he would have been criticised for being unpatriotic, so damned either way. Personally I think it would have been much better for each leader to pose with an England shirt rather than a copy of the Sun.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went straight into my recycle bin the same as all the other junk mail.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,237
    Forum Member
    I quite like The Sun.
    I'm happy to have it in my home.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe its a cut out and keep guide in today's paper on how men should plan their day by grunting to the wife, making her "take over barbecue duties" and keeping the "wife sweet" which gets people's backs up by broadcasting a undertone of sexism and misogyny which should have been left in the 50's where it belongs and picked up this morning by Labour MP Stella Creasy on Twitter.

With that - because, of course, no woman in the country likes football. *rolls eyes*