Options

What will happen to Aberdeen when the oil runs out?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Scotland's third city doomed? What else has Aberdeen going for it apart from the oil industry? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Alec can magic some more up, or declare that the city will turn its hand to being a world leading producer of coffee or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Probably the same that happened to Glasgow when they closed the shipyards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Aberdeen will be the centre of the UK oil industry for many years yet. As the oil becomes scarcer it becomes more economically viable to drill in the more difficult to reach areas, or in smaller fields and supposedly there are still many of them about.

Or maybe it could become the centre of Scotland's own fracking boom.

Or it could become a ghost town. :)
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Codona's amusement park, fishing.

Also fhman2 has been talking about setting up a business for a while :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or it could become a ghost town. :)

Anyone else find it disturbing for Aberdeen to have a cemetery right in the middle of the city centre? :o
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh........I thought you meant for frying chips

I was gong to suggest using lard

:p
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Given that most of the actual industry that's run from Aberdeen is already in a variety of remote parts of the world, I suspect it'll be a long while before anything changes significantly and, even when the oil does run out, I suspect that the companies who currently make their living from oil will have moved over to whatever the alternative turns out to be so, instead of oil, Companies like BP and Shell will, instead, be running their global operations for supplying hydrogen, battery chemicals or fuel-cell components from the same offices in Aberdeen.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Anyone else find it disturbing for Aberdeen to have a cemetery right in the middle of the city centre? :o

The dead centre of the city?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Given that most of the actual industry that's run from Aberdeen is already in a variety of remote parts of the world, I suspect it'll be a long while before anything changes significantly and, even when the oil does run out, I suspect that the companies who currently make their living from oil will have moved over to whatever the alternative turns out to be so, instead of oil, Companies like BP and Shell will, instead, be running their global operations for supplying hydrogen, battery chemicals or fuel-cell components from the same offices in Aberdeen.

The future is fusion or thorium technology, but of course this is not permitted in Alec's vision of a future Scottish sovereign state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Oh........I thought you meant for frying chips

I was gong to suggest using lard

:p

It's Glasgow that is the deep-fried-chippie heart-disease capital of the world ;)
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The oil company offices in Aberdeen are simply regional operations centres for the north sea oil fields , the companies are run from head offices in London, Amsterdam, Houston etc. When the oil runs out the Aberdeen offices will no longer be needed and will close down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The future is fusion or thorium technology, but of course this is not permitted in Alec's vision of a future Scottish sovereign state.

Well, assuming there's still any place in UK politics for fat-boy after September, I'd guess that the possibility of Aberdeen ending up as a ghost-town, and Scotland losing the revenue from all these companies, will be enough to readjust his moral compass at some point in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was Aberdeen's main economy before oil? Fishing? There's plenty more fish in the sea :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The oil company offices in Aberdeen are simply regional operations centres, the companies are run from head offices in London, Amsterdam, Houston etc. When the oil runs out the Aberdeen offices will no longer be needed and will close down.

What makes you think that?

The world is likely to go on needing the same (or larger) amounts of energy so it'll always require the same business infrastructure to oversee the industries that provide that energy.

Do you think that companies like BP and Shell are just going to shut up shop when the oil runs out? :confused:

*EDIT*

Also, FYI, operations all over the world are managed from the offices in Aberdeen. Not just stuff in the North Sea.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The oil company offices in Aberdeen are simply regional operations centres for the north sea oil fields , the companies are run from head offices in London, Amsterdam, Houston etc. When the oil runs out the Aberdeen offices will no longer be needed and will close down.

Not actually true. Many companies have their hq's in Aberdeen and besides, when the oil runs out there is still a massive amount of decommissioning work required, plus the world will still need energy. Aberdeen has quite a thriving renewables industry now, for example.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Presumably all the locals' flick knives will be stuck shut forever.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will start drinking whiskey like the rest of us lightweights.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Is Scotland's third city doomed? What else has Aberdeen going for it apart from the oil industry? :confused:

We are always told that all big boy wars these days are over Oil. Alex should declare himself EL Presidency, then just needs to worry the USA and threaten to sell his oil (while he has some) for guns to unmentionables with a suggestion of inviting them in. USA will step in, Station Troops and Moor the 5th & 6th Fleets in the Harbour. Yanks as in previous wars, will spend and boost the local economy. Just sad for the Scottish Lads, when the GI's get the local girls with their real currency dollars, and the usual cigarettes and nylons they can trade in for "favours". Guess you can't have it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Presumably all the locals' flick knives will be stuck shut forever.

Flick knives, in Aberdeen?

If anybody dropped a flick-knife on the pavement on Union St, these days, half the population wouldn't stop running until they fell into the sea and the other half would need years of therapy to recover from the trauma of seeing such a horrific thing.

These days you're more likely to be threatened by a solicitor's letter than a knife in Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely there must be contingency planning for Aberdeen's economy post-oil? We know it's a finite resource although there is dispute over when the oil will run out... Hopefully it won't be for a while :)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Flick knives, in Aberdeen?

If anybody dropped a flick-knife on the pavement on Union St, these days, half the population wouldn't stop running until they fell into the sea and the other half would need years of therapy to recover from the trauma of seeing such a horrific thing.

However, should you drop a 20p piece, be sure to get out of the way sharpish, or be trampled in the rush.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    However, should you drop a 20p piece, be sure to get out of the way sharpish, or be trampled in the rush.

If its in a couple of years time and it is real English Money then this could be doubly true.:(
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fit like ma loon? Ye ken ye'll nay get yer mittens on my prize Tup ye ken, doon at the herber a new boatie landed wi some latvians whit'll pay guid coin tae a quine, ken like.
    *Come on ye Reds*
    White Pudding supper please.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll all go back to where we came from I guess.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It will be what it was before.