Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it left number 11 yet?

Currently at number 8
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching repeats of Blackadder last night and they showed the one with Lord Flashheart as a WW1 Fighter Ace, it was hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much of Mayall's comedy was very original but of the moment and some hasnt dated well. However, some of his work, notably the young ones and blackadder were genius. Lord Flasheart in particular is comedy gold. his first appearance was a few minutes, yet is the stand out performance in that series. he simply stole the show. sad loss
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    You must be very very young then, as he has been around for 35 years. OK you dont seem to 'get' his humour, perhaps you had to be there, I have no idea, but you are a very small minority, almost everyone remembers him and his wonderful talent fondly. I almost feel sorry for you :(

I suppose you didnt the slapstick comedy of the 30s funny either?

I must admit the almost blanket adoration seems remarkable from my end.

Indeed, I noted he seems to have appeared in the early 80's, when I was young though not overly so. But I never saw a jot of his stuff, although a fan of Tommy Cooper, Ronnie Barker, Dave Allen (before his descent into foul language), Freddy Starr et al. I may have switched on, switched off in a hurry and made a note to never switch on again.

And no, much as the 30's are well before my time :) I was an avid fan of Laurel & Hardy. Real skill, no f***, sh**, c***, d*** etc for the sake of easy laughs. Real comedy.

I'm not being selective here. I saw Ronnie Corbett do an "alternative" show with a bunch of these types. It was wretched, seeming to consist of Corbett sticking his head between two fake breasts, to the uproarious approval of the audience. Poor old Ronnie B would have been spinning in his grave. Funny, not.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    And no, much as the 30's are well before my time :) I was an avid fan of Laurel & Hardy. Real skill, no f***, sh**, c***, d*** etc for the sake of easy laughs. Real comedy.

Ooh, what's " d*** " ? :D
    I'm not being selective here. I saw Ronnie Corbett do an "alternative" show with a bunch of these types. It was wretched, seeming to consist of Corbett sticking his head between two fake breasts, to the uproarious approval of the audience. Poor old Ronnie B would have been spinning in his grave. Funny, not.

Yeah, but no one thinks Ronnie Corbett's funny. :cool:
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I must admit the almost blanket adoration seems remarkable from my end.

Indeed, I noted he seems to have appeared in the early 80's, when I was young though not overly so. But I never saw a jot of his stuff, although a fan of Tommy Cooper, Ronnie Barker, Dave Allen (before his descent into foul language), Freddy Starr et al. I may have switched on, switched off in a hurry and made a note to never switch on again.

Some of Rik's best work was slapstick, in silence, no words spoken, just physical comedy with his sidekick, it was what they were best at, no one else has ever been able to emulate what Rik and Ade perfected over the years. it wasn't all swearing, some of his comedy was tragic and even tender,and written to perfection. He opened me up to my own sense of humour and showed me that comedy did not always mean mother in law jokes, or boobies wobbling. The 70s had come to an end and so had that era of comedy.I did not see the Corbett show, so I cant comment on that.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a tribute show on BBC 2 on Sunday followed by a classic episode of Bottom called 'Gas'. That is followed by a Comedy Connections episodes which is followed by an episode on The Young Ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It deserves to be in the top 5 by now. I dont want another week of some lame reality person who cant sing. If only someone could convince a top producer to buy 5 million copies.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a tribute show on BBC 2 on Sunday followed by a classic episode of Bottom called 'Gas'. That is followed by a Comedy Connections episodes which is followed by an episode on The Young Ones.
    What time is the actual tribute show on, please? I can only find the Bottom episode and Comedy Connections in the schedule.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bbc2 to show bottom at 10:30, sunday night.....
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked Rik Mayall, he was and is a power to the people and Rik lives on, no worries Rik.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I must admit the almost blanket adoration seems remarkable from my end."

Well not from mine. I was too old to appreciate his humour in the 70s but now I am in my second childhood I do adore him, no other way to put it. I feel an awful sense of loss at his passing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    What time is the actual tribute show on, please? I can only find the Bottom episode and Comedy Connections in the schedule.

The is NO Tribute sunday night. A film is listed, then Bottom then comedy connections then back to some other programme that isnt about Rik.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    :( Totally shocked hearing of this..I love him in Bottom ..RIP :(
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never followed this bloke, and knew nothing about him till the BBC tributes started flowing. I saw the clips. Now, I am not trying to be an arse here, or be confrontational for the sake of it, but I saw nothing remotely funny in anything. I saw a lot of leaping and jumping around, kind of Rowan Atkinson at his worst. All very "alternative comedy", an expression I tend to regard as meaning "non-comedy". I saw nothing I call funny. I'd be happy to change my opinion if anyone feels like sharing any videos they consider to be funny.

I remain very sorry he died young. I just can't see what the fuss was about with his work.

Go to bed Spotty!
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The is NO Tribute sunday night. A film is listed, then Bottom then comedy connections then back to some other programme that isnt about Rik.
    I would imagine there will be one in a few weeks/months. They wouldn't be able to put together a decent tribute so quickly.
  • Options
    mitchey316mitchey316 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I would imagine there will be one in a few weeks/months. They wouldn't be able to put together a decent tribute so quickly.

I hope they show Rik doing George's Marvellous Medicine which was the best Jackanory ever.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice of the Beeb to parachute a couple of shows into the schedule yesterday and then to not put them on the iPlayer.

Piece on Newsnight in case anyone missed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b046nd2n/newsnight-09062014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When The Warrior died WWE managed to do a 1 hr documentary on the guy in aa few days and fans say its the best one ever done.

If the BBC leave it a couple of months then the shock value isnt there. Tributes are supposed to be within the first couple of weeks hence why its a tribute.

Ive still not got why they never did one on Mel Smith yet. I recall a 5 minute piece.
  • Options
    JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Rik Mayall Presents' has been mentioned on various threads, particularly 'Dancing Queen'.
    STV are showing this ep on Sun night, 11pm.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you have a look ITV are also showing an ep of The New Statesman and Guest House Paradiso.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When The Warrior died WWE managed to do a 1 hr documentary on the guy in aa few days and fans say its the best one ever done.

If the BBC leave it a couple of months then the shock value isnt there. Tributes are supposed to be within the first couple of weeks hence why its a tribute.

Ive still not got why they never did one on Mel Smith yet. I recall a 5 minute piece.

I don't think they've even had the funeral yet - doubt his friends are ready to talk about him properly yet. There was an hour long tribute Mel Smith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they've even had the funeral yet - doubt his friends are ready to talk about him properly yet. There was an hour long tribute Mel Smith.

Yep thanks to a kind DS user for pointing it out I was easy to find the youtube video.

Im hoping Rik gets the same treatment with a hour documentary tribute. He deserves it.
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If you have a look ITV are also showing an ep of The New Statesman and Guest House Paradiso.

when are ITV showing these?