Game Of Thrones Season 4 [US Sun/UK Mon] [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    My favourite scenes from last night.
    Stannis. For the first time, he really did it for me, character-wise.
    Tyrion and Tywin's last stand
    And the excellent scene between Brienne and Ayra. Gwendoline Christie should be in the show more. She's outstanding.

Gotta agree re Stannis, really liked that story arc.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lannisters are surely fooked now? No money, no friends and lots of enemies, with the only person keeping them together dead. Stannis, the Tyrells, Dorne, even the Boltons have all got good reasons to just get rid of them.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <missing page fix>
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow.

As soon as I saw Tyrion in the Tower of the Hand I knew what was about to happen. And how ironic for a powerful mighty lord (some might say the king in all but name) to be killed by a dwarf while sitting on the toilet. I must admit to a tinge of sadness at Tywin's death; he's been a truly brilliant character, unashamed to the end.

I didn't really feel anything over Jojen's death. I mean, there's sympathy for his sister but as a viewer we've seen so little of that story arc that I'd kind of forgotten they all existed.

Stanis turning up at the wall as epic. Melisandre is surely seeing something in the flames about Jon Snow which could be interesting in Season 5.

I can understand Arya leaving The Hound. She's prepared to forgive him enough to take him off her list, but at the same time wants to see him suffer for what he's done. But of course, we didn't actually see him die...

Something found its way into my eye when Jaime and Tyrion said goodbye.

It's probably just the thought of a 41-week wait but I'm tempted to start the books. I'll be doing a lot of flying next month which might be the ideal opportunity.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, all over for another year! :( I wish I could say my internet black-out was successful, however I was one of the unfortunate people who saw the malicious post put up by another forum member telling us exactly what Tyrion would do in the episode, so felt really annoyed when I realised it wasn't just someone making stuff up as I'd hoped.

Yep, me too. Had been sure that they were just making stuff up, but once Tyrion turned around and headed in the opposite direction, I guessed it was going to be a real spoiler. What a nasty individual that person was.

Still, I was shocked at how much of a backstabbing turncoat Shae actually was and I wasn't actually expecting Tywin to be killed whilst on the john! I'll miss Charles Dance, though. He's been really spectacular as Tywin, even if he was a git most of the time.

I also think Cercei saving the Mountain through some forbidden means will be a disaster. Half-expecting him to turn into a mindless killing machine now. Well, I mean moreso than before! Speakinf of Cercei, I do also think she's totally lost the plot.

As for Stannis sparing Mance, I wonder if Stannis might offer amnesty to all the wildlings if they agree to join forces with him. If he does, that means he'll be based at the wall and rolling down with a massive army across the North. Roose Bolton beware!!

Last thought; I wonder who is now head of House Lannister? Jaime remains a King's Guard, Tyrion is a fugitive. The suggestions Jaime made a few episodes ago would imply it won't go to Cercei, but rather to the next male in the family, even if they're an uncle or cousin or somesuch. Could mean a new character on the way. Could mean the Tyrells take the opportunity to finish off the Lannisters, too.

Only a year to wait in order to find out. :( I'm off to hibernate until then!
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic finale, fantastic season.

I wonder how long Shae was against Tyrion? Was it from the very beginning? Or only as a reaction to him sending her away.

I felt he was a little harsh but then she did try to kill him first....
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which book would you need to start to carry on from the end of S4?
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »

I haven't read them but as I understand it, it doesn't really work like that - with character/characterisation changes from book to show it would be basically non-sensical unless you read them all in order.

I think I'll probably get round to reading them this time around, although I suspect it will be a bit of a slog.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »

The post above mine is correct from what I've heard. I wanted to know the same thing, but I think the only place you can start is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGJZoBwIIU
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    AMAZING FINALE loved those dragons top CGI and on TV :o:D

I didt get anything spoiled :D

but did find out about a major spoiler coming ahead that book readers were expecting tonight and oh man can I not wait to see that play out on the show:D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the last one having watched the last 5 episodes in a row today :)

The penultimate episode, with the battle of castle black was just stunning stuff. possibly just about edges the battle of blackwater .. i think :)

this is why i watch each season over a few days rather than 10 weeks as well !

i certainly hope it's not the last we've seen of Tyrion. Peter Dinklage steals every bloody scene he's in, he's that good.

All in all, brilliant stuff again. Looking forward to Season 5.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Why has some mod deleted all the posts that were made earlier discussing what should be considered as a spoiler? I thought they actually stood as a pretty useful message to anyone that still can't read or understand the "no spoiler" part of the thread.

Thanks mods!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought i'd pop this in the tags
    note ..... i thought tyrion shot tywin in the SHOULDER!!! it did look high up to me!

otherwise another BLOCKBUSTER episode from a BLOCKBUSTER series!

poor jojen, felt really sorry for him at the end getting so close, but he did bring them to the tree ..... but those old peoples really need some new styles :D but that means we're getting more into the mythos .....

tywin once again giving not a jot about those who betrayed him ..... not even daddy :D i wonder if CERSEI had anything to do with it ;-) sad to see the end of the magnificent charles dance in this ..... NOT a good series to be a lannister :D

and real sympathy for danaerys, seeing the inevitable results of having a bloody big dragon doing what it likes, she's beginning to be in WAY over her head in meereen!

and i'd keep a very watchful eye on that melisandre :o good that they are acknowledging the threat from the white walkers but i wouldn't trust her as far as i could THROW her ^_^

and you can forget about the clegane brothers leaving us, the mountain is still with us, and the hound is gonna drag his sorry ass to the nearest hut ..... snap his leg back into place ..... and he'll ravage the land just to get back at brienne!!! he won't let that go, being beaten by a GIRL :D

what a fight that was :o

and arya has learned TOO MUCH from sandor :D i so wanted her her to put him out of his misery just so he didn't suffer

just stunning throughout and cannot wait until it comes round again
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    The suggestions Jaime made a few episodes ago would imply it won't go to Cercei, but rather to the next male in the family, even if they're an uncle or cousin or somesuch. Could mean a new character on the way. Could mean the Tyrells take the opportunity to finish off the Lannisters, too.
    We've already been introduced to Tywin's brother Kevan, father of Lancel. So if Lannister inheritance is governed by Salic Law, Cersei and her children are passed-over and Kevan inherits Casterly Rock.

But we don't know. Although Tywin's conversation with Cersei tonight would suggest that the Rock would be hers.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    We've already been introduced to Tywin's brother Kevan, father of Lancel. So if Lannister inheritance is governed by Salic Law, Cersei and her children are passed-over and Kevan inherits Casterly Rock.

But we don't know. Although Tywin's conversation with Cersei tonight would suggest that the Rock would be hers.

My memory must be rubbish. When did we meet Kevan and Lancel?
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    My memory must be rubbish. When did we meet Kevan and Lancel?

Lancel is the wee wimpy guy that gave Robert the wine in season 1 and was tormented by Tyrion after Tyrion discovered he was sleeping with Cersei. Don't think he's been seen since he took an arrow at blackwater, but he is still alive
    Kevan was in a couple of early episodes, at a war council in tywins tent.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent season finale - although I do feel that they had to cram in too much in too little time. They could have eadily made that episode 90 minutes long.

- It was good to see Mance Rayder again. He's been spoken about so often in this Season I was wondering when he was going to turn up. I liked how stubborn he was with Stannis.
    And that was definitely an interesting look Melisandre was giving to Jon Snow through the flames...

- It was nice to see Brienne finally meet up with Arya. Her fight scene with The Hound was brilliant. But seriously, Pod - can he do anything right? Except satisfy the prozzies of King's Landing, that is!
    Felt sorry for The Hound when he was begging Arya to kill him, even though he really is a total bastard. I'm also in the "we-didn't-actually-see-it-so-he's-not-dead" camp. Although that might just be wishful thinking...
    Good to see Arya able to do her own thing at the end of the episode though. I wonder what Braavos will have in store for her.

- The King's Landing stuff was great as usual although I felt it was just rushed towards the end. I, too, was spoiled with Tywin and Shae's deaths by that idiot who posted it on this thread a couple of weeks ago. I was still shocked though. And how undignified for Tywin being murdered mid-shit!
    I'm going to miss Tywin, he was my favourite character.
    Cerscei continues to be batshit crazy - just what is she planning with The Mountain!?

- The Danaerys stuff was, yet again, the least enjoyable part for me. There she was, sitting in her throne room while someone else comes in to ask her a favour while Missandei translates....We've seen it all before.
    I do like that the dragons are getting out of control now though and did feel bad for them getting chained up in the catacombs. But where was the big one - Drogon is it? Has he gone AWOL?

- And finally the Bran stuff..... I don't mind the supernatural element of the show (although I hated the giants last week) but this part, for me, was just a bit too supernatural, what with the reanimated skeletons and the fireballs.
    Poor Jojen though - although it was kind of a dead cert he was going to die. I thought his sister would too. And at one point I thought Hodor was done for - I would have been devastated if that was the case! Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where this storyline goes in the next season.

- My main gripe I had with the episode is that I spoiled something for myself that I thought would perhaps happen in the final scene. No spoilers here obviously but I was disappointed that it wasn't shown in tonight's episode as I was definitely anticipating it but hopefully it'll occur in Season 5.

There, I think I've covered everything. Sorry for such a long post. I can't believe that's it! All over. How long do we need to wait for Season 5? 40ish weeks??
    Monday nights just won't be the same.
    I think I'll need to start reading the books so I can continue getting my GOT fix!
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Excellent season finale - although I do feel that they had to cram in too much in too little time. They could have eadily made that episode 90 minutes long.

- It was good to see Mance Rayder again. He's been spoken about so often in this Season I was wondering when he was going to turn up. I liked how stubborn he was with Stannis.
    And that was definitely an interesting look Melisandre was giving to Jon Snow through the flames...

- It was nice to see Brienne finally meet up with Arya. Her fight scene with The Hound was brilliant. But seriously, Pod - can he do anything right? Except satisfy the prozzies of King's Landing, that is!
    Felt sorry for The Hound when he was begging Arya to kill him, even though he really is a total bastard. I'm also in the "we-didn't-actually-see-it-so-he's-not-dead" camp. Although that might just be wishful thinking...
    Good to see Arya able to do her own thing at the end of the episode though. I wonder what Braavos will have in store for her.

- The King's Landing stuff was great as usual although I felt it was just rushed towards the end. I, too, was spoiled with Tywin and Shae's deaths by that idiot who posted it on this thread a couple of weeks ago. I was still shocked though. And how undignified for Tywin being murdered mid-shit!
    I'm going to miss Tywin, he was my favourite character.
    Cerscei continues to be batshit crazy - just what is she planning with The Mountain!?

- The Danaerys stuff was, yet again, the least enjoyable part for me. There she was, sitting in her throne room while someone else comes in to ask her a favour while Missandei translates....We've seen it all before.
    I do like that the dragons are getting out of control now though and did feel bad for them getting chained up in the catacombs. But where was the big one - Drogon is it? Has he gone AWOL?

- And finally the Bran stuff..... I don't mind the supernatural element of the show (although I hated the giants last week) but this part, for me, was just a bit too supernatural, what with the reanimated skeletons and the fireballs.
    Poor Jojen though - although it was kind of a dead cert he was going to die. I thought his sister would too. And at one point I thought Hodor was done for - I would have been devastated if that was the case! Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where this storyline goes in the next season.

- My main gripe I had with the episode is that I spoiled something for myself that I thought would perhaps happen in the final scene. No spoilers here obviously but I was disappointed that it wasn't shown in tonight's episode as I was definitely anticipating it but hopefully it'll occur in Season 5.

There, I think I've covered everything. Sorry for such a long post. I can't believe that's it! All over. How long do we need to wait for Season 5? 40ish weeks??
    Monday nights just won't be the same.
    I think I'll need to start reading the books so I can continue getting my GOT fix!

If your talking about the spoiler I think your talking about:D then I think they will keep it for the cliffhanger of episode 1 next year to get people buzzing about the show very much the same way in which joffery died in episode 2 this year it just came out of nowhere for TV viewers stuff like that is expected in a finaly not just episode 2 but thats why game of thrones is excellent TV
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Littlefinger you barsteward; spoiling Tywin's demise ;)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Littlefinger you barsteward; spoiling Tywin's demise ;)

I laughed at the time.

What's the world coming to when even TV Characters give away upcoming plot points :D
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant finale.

My favourite character, Stannis, has made his move. What an entrance! I hope we get to see a lot more of him next season and the whole alliances/families/political situation in the North.

I knew Tyrion was going to kill his father with a crossbow because a certain well known comedian put it on his twitter a year or two back. I imagine plenty of non-book readers saw it as well. I avoided talking about the two characters on here because of it :/
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Arya's story is the one I'm looking forward to now, I loved the final scene between her and the Hound.

I thought it was a fantastic final episode. It's gonna be hard to wait so long for more.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they got Tyrion/Tywin just right... not sure why. Though the rest was amazing! The skeletons were insanely brilliant effects for a TV show.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great final episode.

Favorite bit
    Brienne and Hound fight by far.

Least favorite bit
    Ayra, just don't like her.

Disappointment.
    Jamie back with Circe

Unexpected
    Shae, though like many others Tywin dying was spoilt here.

Would have preferred
    Tyrion killing Circe.

Looking forward to
    Bravos and the man with no face (though that could change if they use an ugly bugger for the part:blush:)
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Managed to knock another two off my fantasy cliche bingo list - well, sort of. The "children of the forest" seemed elven enough to count as elves and the guy in the tree roots seems on his way to being an ent. Just need a fairy, a giant snake, a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost next season and I'll have the full house! (It's a long list)