Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Mamma Mia repeats so well, it will be like a Dirty Dancing it seems, always does well.

On multichannel it does well; on the main ITV channel it usually dies a death IIRC, not helped by being given naff slots like Tuesdays or New Year's Eve. Interesting that it went out on ITV3 rather than ITV2 which had been its home until this March.
    garyessex wrote: »
    I may have missed it but ay ratings for the first week of ITV Encore?

I've only seen last Monday's launch night figures, nothing to shout about: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73084421&postcount=1439
    I notice a random episode of the largely forgotten daytime quiz show "Breakaway" was shown on BBC Two from 1:30pm.

It looks like it's just filler ahead of the tennis at Eastbourne starting tomorrow but it's an odd choice of filler IMO. I would have expected Cagney or Lacey or even good ol' Coast but a repeat of a quiz that I can't recall even repeats of being broadcast for the best part of 2 years? Unless after Wimbledon, they'll put on a full repeat run, perhaps to test the waters for a recommission?

Breakaway was shown on Monday 2nd and Thursday 5th June, the first airings since 14th December 2012.
    http://overnights.tv/ProgrammeSearch?submitAction=Go&SelectedChannels=50%3A10&SelectedChannels=50%3A20&SearchWithinOption=SelectionOfChannels&ProgrammeNameSearchOption=Contains&ProgrammeName=breakaway&StartDate=15%2F05%2F2012&EndDate=15%2F06%2F2014&StartTime=06%3A00&EndTime=29%3A59&WithAudienceFigures=False&SkipCombined=True&SkipTimeShifted=True&SkipTerrestrialOnMultiChannel=True&IncludeScottish=False&IncludeWelsh=False&IncludeS4C=False&IncludeS4CWelshSpeaking=False&IncludeNetwork=True&IncludeMultiChannel=True&SelectedAudienceCategory=901&MinShare=0&MaxShare=100&MinAudience=0&MaxAudience=25000000&MinTvr=0&MaxTvr=100&MinDuration=3&MaxDuration=600&Monday=True&Tuesday=True&Wednesday=True&Thursday=True&Friday=True&Saturday=True&Sunday=True&SaveFormat=0
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Why? It's not over and above what's happened every two summers for lord knows how long :P People get hooked in by the hype over the opening days, then when they've watched three matches a day for a weekend they can't break the habit.

;)

It's nice to see you again Zac. :) I agree with others that these ratings do seem higher than previous tournaments, but we probably need at least a full week to make safe comparisons.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Richard Osman's new quiz Two Tribes will be going out on BBC2 daytime. That's unusual as I thought they were just doing repeats.

Possibly the 18:00 slot, giving Eggheads a break? Not really conventional daytime, but just a thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's that Screenwatch article that I was struggling to copy and paste earlier - it gives some all-day and primetime shares for BBC One and ITV on Thursday, Friday and Saturday:
    Week 9th - 15th June 2014
    World Cup Winners?

So the big event has now kicked off, beginning the takeover of some of the main UK channels by football until the final of the World Cup on 13th July. And soon there will be tennis to fill in the gaps – Wimbledon runs between 23rd June and 6th July. There may be slim pickings for those who do not care at all for sport.
    However, sport can deliver big audiences to UK channels, and with ITV and the BBC both covering World Cup matches, how has this affected their performance in the first few days?
    On Thursday 12th June, ITV’s coverage of the opening ceremony and the first match, between hosts Brazil and Croatia, gave the channel a massive ratings boost. The all-day Share for ITV (Total) was 28.1%, and peaktime (7pm-11pm) was 40.6%. This compares with Thursday 8th May,one month previously, when those figures were 15% and 15.5% respectively. This hit the BBC1 Share as, on 8th May the channel recorded a Share of 24.1% (all day) and 22.8% (peak): on Thursday 12th June these figures dropped to 20.3% and 16.2% respectively.
    However, on Friday, it was the BBC that had the pick of the matches, with the clash between Spain and the Netherlands (a repeat of the 2010 final), while ITV had coverage of Mexico v Cameroon, and Chile v Australia. The excellent audience average of 8.2m (38.7%) for the BBC1 programme lifted the channel’s Share averages to 27.9% (all day), and 35% (peak), a 23% uplift over its all-day figure for Friday 9th May, and a huge 69% rise over that day’s peaktime Share.
    Thes trends have continued over the weekend, with the pick of the football matches elevating their host channel’s ratings, to the detriment of the competition. The coverage of the first England game, in spite of its 11pm kick-off (BST), averaged 11.5m (68.4%), and hit a peak of 15.6m viewers at 11.40pm. This had the rare effect of making the all-day Share higher than the peaktime Share – 35.8% vs 25.9%.
    Football = viewers = money. It is clear why such high prices are paid to gain access to the major sporting events – not just football. With the BBC’s annual coverage of Wimbledon coming soon, where next for the channel’s Share? If Andy Murray manages another exciting winning streak, the sky is the limit: last year’s Men’s Final at Wimbledon had the highest peak audience of any programme during the year. What if England pull off a miracle and progress in the World Cup as well. Television sets around the country may seriously tax the output of the national grid.
    http://screenwatch.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    "Emma Willis ‏@EmmaWillis 23m
    Seems like everyone's watching eastenders tonight!"

If only...

I saw that tweet earlier too. Made me laugh! :D
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Official 7.78m for the final Happy Valley - well deserved.

Excellent for Happy Valley and remember this was throughout May/June too. Very impressive.

I downloaded all 6 episodes the other week to watch and on checking my Sky planner yesterday to start them they have mysteriously vanished. I tried to download them again but all episodes are no longer available via Sky On Demand. Does anyone know why this is? It's almost like the vanished from On Demand and thus got deleted off my planner. :(
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    We have our first bore draw of the World Cup! Be interesting to see if that finally turns off the "ooh this is more exciting than expected" crowd.
    NeilVW wrote: »
    It's nice to see you again Zac. :)

Oh that's nice, thank you :) I've been overwhelmed with work for the last few months but I just dropped in to comment on Fargo's ratings and got carried away. Glad, in contrast to Fargo, so much of the rest of the country is enjoying the World Cup as much as me! :)
    I agree with others that these ratings do seem higher than previous tournaments, but we probably need at least a full week to make safe comparisons.
    Yes it'll be good to get a sense of the bigger picture once the 'this or that team's first appearance' factor is out of the way, and also once there's competition from the likes of Wimbledon and Glastonbury next week.

The BBC and ITV really have been lucky with five World Cups in a row (including Russia and Qatar) giving them mostly conveniently-timed matches. One of the many reasons I think it's a damned shame 2022 didn't go to Australia, how the broadcasters worked around absolutely no games being held in pub hours, in this modern age, would have been fascinating. Hopefully - albeit only from that perspective - 2026 will follow FIFA's preference for giving World Cups to places as far away from us as possible. Somewhere like Indonesia, perfect!! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

It reminded me of a BOTS that Emma did a while back. They had a member of the production crew on chatting to Emma, and he said, "I don't know if anyone watched the show on Saturday, but.." and Emma jumped in with faux outrage: "Of course they watched it! Everybody's watching it! Everybody's talking about it! Christian!" :D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tale of two halves tonight

ITV's game was big teams, big result but poorer time slot

BBC's game was poor teams, poor result but better time slot

I couldn't call the ratings. There is a chance that the World Cup has taken over people's lives so much, they still watched tonight's 8pm game in massive numbers.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly the 18:00 slot, giving Eggheads a break? Not really conventional daytime, but just a thought.

I think that is the plan, 6pm on BBC2 is of course officially a "daytime" slot under the control of the Head of Daytime.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent for Happy Valley and remember this was throughout May/June too. Very impressive.

I downloaded all 6 episodes the other week to watch and on checking my Sky planner yesterday to start them they have mysteriously vanished. I tried to download them again but all episodes are no longer available via Sky On Demand. Does anyone know why this is? It's almost like the vanished from On Demand and thus got deleted off my planner. :(

When you do series link through Sky they only last until one week after the final episode of the series was aired. So of a series started in February and ended June 17th you have until June 24th to watch them. It means a weird situation where the last episode is only available for a week while others in the series were up for several weeks.

So you have to be quick once the last episode of the series has gone out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV Media top 10s (inc +1, not tape-checked)

Fri 13 Jun
    Rank Channel Time Programme OOOs Share
    1 BBC One 07:30 PM MOTD Live: Spain vs Netherlands 8217 39%
    2 ITV 08:30 PM Coronation Street 5815 25%
    3 BBC One 10:10 PM BBC News at Ten 5622 31%
    4 ITV 07:10 PM Emmerdale 4920 29%
    5 ITV 08:00 PM Emmerdale 4872 24%
    6 BBC One 06:30 PM Regional News and Weather 4529 28%
    7 BBC One 06:00 PM BBC News at Six 4338 29%
    8 BBC One 07:00 PM EastEnders 3967 23%
    9 ITV 07:45 PM ITV News & Weather 3911 22%
    10 ITV 04:00 PM World Cup 2014 Live: Mexico v Cameroon 3379 28%

Sat 14 Jun
    1 BBC One 10:20 PM MOTD Live: England v Italy 11512 68%
    2 ITV 07:30 PM FIFA World Cup 2014 Live: Uruguay v Costa Rica 5496 29%
    3 BBC One 10:00 PM BBC News 4956 25%
    4 BBC One 04:30 PM MOTD Live: Colombia v Greece 4571 34%
    5 BBC One 07:30 PM Pointless Celebrities 4114 24%
    6 BBC One 09:10 PM Casualty 3886 19%
    7 BBC One 08:20 PM The National Lottery: In It to Win It 3806 20%
    8 ITV 10:15 PM ITV News & Weather 2552 13%
    9 BBC One 01:05 PM BBC News 2290 30%
    10 BBC One 10:30 AM Trooping the Colour 2006 28%

Sun 15 Jun
    1 BBC One 07:30 PM MOTD Live: France v Honduras 7645 36%
    2 BBC One 10:05 PM BBC News 6652 34%
    3 BBC One 06:30 PM Countryfile 4631 25%
    4 BBC One 10:30 PM MOTD Live: Argentina v Bosnia 3820 39%
    5 ITV 04:00 PM FIFA World Cup 2014 Live: Switzerland v Ecuador 3700 25%
    6 BBC One 06:00 PM BBC News 2792 17%
    7 ITV 07:30 PM The Cube 2572 13%
    8 ITV 08:30 PM The Suspicions of Mr Whicher 2223 10%
    9 BBC One 01:00 PM BBC News 1705 21%
    10 BBC One 09:00 AM The Andrew Marr Show 1520 23%

It is fun during the World Cup when we have three really long broadcasts each day across the big two channels, so we get stuff charting like Marr, the lunchtime news and Trooping the Colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Seeing as this appears to be a popular request!

02:00 to 04:15 - Ivory Coast vs Japan: 706k (30.9%)
    * peak: 932k (26.2%) at 02:05

02:00 - 884k (25.1%)
    02:15 - 885k (28.4%)
    02:30 - 849k (30.3%)
    02:45 - 773k (32.0%)
    03:00 - 687k (31.5%)
    03:15 - 641k (32.4%)
    03:30 - 631k (33.6%)
    03:45 - 572k (34.1%)
    04:00 - 429k (30.5%)

Thanks for that. Picking up Steve's comment, I wonder actually if BBC One simulcasting the news channel was second in the slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On multichannel it does well; on the main ITV channel it usually dies a death IIRC, not helped by being given naff slots like Tuesdays or New Year's Eve. Interesting that it went out on ITV3 rather than ITV2 which had been its home until this March.
    Did Mamma Mia rate well the first time it was shown on ITV?
    I've only seen last Monday's launch night figures, nothing to shout about: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73084421&postcount=1439

I don't think figures will get close to ITV3 numbers if Broadchurch couldn't pull them in.
    Never warmed to Breakaway. It's not much missed by people.
    It's nice to see you again Zac. :) I agree with others that these ratings do seem higher than previous tournaments, but we probably need at least a full week to make safe comparisons
    Yes welcome back Zac.

Also I agree The World Cup ratings have been a surprise for the 11 matches. It helps that many are in primetime too but I did expect the Sunday France game on BBC1 to rate higher than the Spain match on Friday.

I think that is the plan, 6pm on BBC2 is of course officially a "daytime" slot under the control of the Head of Daytime.

Of course. I forgot that the weekday 6pm slot on BBC2 us part of daytime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did Mamma Mia rate well the first time it was shown on ITV?

6.01m (29.5%) inc +1 on a Saturday night in April 2011 - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49330529&postcount=2351.

But four subsequent screenings on ITV, fourteen on ITV2 and now three on ITV3 have worn it out. [In terms of ITV potential - it still finds an audience on the multichannels.]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The BBC looking to create another piece of event tv by inventing its own music awards (Im assuming the live show is tv and not just radio).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27866047

Interesting being close to Christmas-some kind of rival extravaganza to the Royal Variety Show.
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Yes it's been confirmed for BBC One. Three days before SPOTY, a slight shame they couldn't hold both on consecutive nights over a weekend.

I think it makes sense for BBC1 to try and create some new regular event TV. If you lose a few you might as well create some to take their place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also I agree The World Cup ratings have been a surprise for the 11 matches. It helps that many are in primetime too but I did expect the Sunday France game on BBC1 to rate higher than the Spain match on Friday.

Why is that? I don't know much about football but surely Spain are a far better and more interesting team than France, who (according to my handy World Cup app) are seven places below England in the world rankings. Plus the Netherlands are a much better side than Honduras.

We might have expected the total TV audience to be a lot higher on Sunday than Friday, but no:

Fri: 21.2m from 19:30 to 22:10
    Sun: 21.5m from 19:30 to 22:05
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, and can I say, Samuel, pitching a fledgling BBC music awards ceremony against The X Factor is a ludicrous idea on any number of levels! :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]The England v Italy match caught many - but not all - out but would you do better predicting the Uruguay v England match? How will Coronation Street and EastEnders fair in new look schedules? Will Friday Night Dinner return to a strong figure?

Remember to make your predictions for week twelve of the DS Ratings Prediction Game. The schedule can be found[/highlight] HERE - [highlight]just hit Quote, delete the quote marks and get predicting.

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes part.

:)[/highlight]
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could any ratings enthusiasts please tell me what the highest audience rating Gold has ever got is? I'm curious to find out and I wonder whether the live broadcast of Monty Python's last live show at the O2 on July 20th could break that record
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is that? I don't know much about football but surely Spain are a far better and more interesting team than France, who (according to my handy World Cup app) are seven places below England in the world rankings. Plus the Netherlands are a much better side than Honduras.

We might have expected the total TV audience to be a lot higher on Sunday than Friday, but no:

Fri: 21.2m from 19:30 to 22:10
    Sun: 21.5m from 19:30 to 22:05

I thought with weaker competition on Sunday the match would have rated higher but it didn't, and I thought more viewers would have been around on Sundat for rg e France game. I was wrong on both counts!
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The BBC looking to create another piece of event tv by inventing its own music awards (Im assuming the live show is tv and not just radio).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27866047

Interesting being close to Christmas-some kind of rival extravaganza to the Royal Variety Show.

Not ANOTHER award show ffs! What next, Channel 5 create one called the "Scrounger and Immigrant" awards sponsored by the Daily Express and IDS? Or Vagisil with Female Hygeine awards? Lazy.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Didn't the bbc try this with the totp awards in the early 00s
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Iran v Nigeria match was crap. Interested in the ratings for that and oh joy ' the EE in crisis' post are imminent in bang on an hour lol :D:D
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Didn't the bbc try this with the totp awards in the early 00s

Yes! I was about to say that. They did those twice, in 2001 and 2002, and I think they were very much aimed as a replacement for the Smash Hits Awards which of course they showed for many years but which were poached by C4 in 2001. Unlike the Smash Hits Awards, though, these were shown early evening on a Saturday, but they never really grabbed the attention, they were quite dull (unsurprising when you've got boring old Ronan Keating presenting them). In terms of presentation they owed a lot to the MTV Europe Awards as well which were a regular fixture on ITV in the late nineties.

Then in 2003, I think, ITV did the National Music Awards on a Thursday night, but everyone's forgotten about those. They were a Simon Fuller production, actually.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Yes! I was about to say that. They did those twice, in 2001 and 2002, and I think they were very much aimed as a replacement for the Smash Hits Awards which of course they showed for many years but which were poached by C4 in 2001. Unlike the Smash Hits Awards, though, these were shown early evening on a Saturday, but they never really grabbed the attention, they were quite dull (unsurprising when you've got boring old Ronan Keating presenting them). In terms of presentation they owed a lot to the MTV Europe Awards as well which were a regular fixture on ITV in the late nineties.

Then in 2003, I think, ITV did the National Music Awards on a Thursday night, but everyone's forgotten about those. They were a Simon Fuller production, actually.

I used to love the Smash Hits awards :blush:
    They had awards for cutest guy, best haircut etc. - The Shame!! :D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you do series link through Sky they only last until one week after the final episode of the series was aired. So of a series started in February and ended June 17th you have until June 24th to watch them. It means a weird situation where the last episode is only available for a week while others in the series were up for several weeks.

So you have to be quick once the last episode of the series has gone out.

This has caught me out before too. Really annoying.

Of course it may have something to do with helping dvd sales. It came out yesterday I believe....
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The World needs moreeeeeeeee awards ceremonies, and celebrities need more sycophantic fawning over. !!! Moreeeee
This discussion has been closed.