Options

World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 mins in you make a negative opinion. People need games - plural. Not 7 minutes. Jesus.

7 minutes?

It's his entire BBC career man
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dread to think how Savage would've been on the Iran v Nigeria game. All he's done is moan and criticise, despite the fact that it's been quite an entertaining game. Everything is "poor" according to him.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I dread to think how Savage would've been on the Iran v Nigeria game. All he's done is moan and criticise, despite the fact that it's been quite an entertaining game. Everything is "poor" according to him.

The Rooney-Altidore chance comparison was fairly embarrassing. I'd prefer Lawrenson over Savage, at least Lawrenson has a level of humility
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

Agreed, he's awful. If he's so unhappy to be covering a world cup match they should send him home.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't work out if I like Savage on commentary or not. I tend to think he lacks a bit of nuance.

Personally I think that Kilbane and Dixon aside Phil Neville has actually been the best co-commentator.
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savage is good. He's assured. He's honest. He's different. Phil Neville? LMFAO!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »

Personally I think that Kilbane and Dixon aside Phil Neville has actually been the best co-commentator.

Welcome to the forums Phil Neville's mum.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    I wish they would do some kind of featurette on the host cities. Porto Alegre. It means nothing to me, I haven't a clue where it is, what the weather's like or anything. I could Google it all but it would be nice to have a little bit on tele instead of pointless babble about matches already taken place.

This link may be of interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b046yvcy
  • Options
    seanviceseanvice Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savage, just simply the worst stint of broadcasting I've ever heard in my life.

A vile man, complete and utter chancer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums Phil Neville's mum.

Well it's not saying that much. Mark Lawrenson frequently shows himself to be out of touch with the modern game, Andy Townsend is excessively snouty and the very essence of dumbed down simplicity, Clarke Carlisle pondered whether a Columbian would play for Ecuador and as I say at times Robbie Savage comes across as lacking nuance and being overly confrontational. Not to mention some huge gaffes Jonathan Pearce and Sam Matterface have made, yet it's Neville who gets over 400 complaints!

I agree with some posts by mlt11 that the reaction to Phil Neville indicates a preference for how it is said over what is said, and suggests the casual viewer has s limited interested in tactics which I think is a shame. I really hope the BBC stick with their plan and put Neville on the liv England last 16 match if they get that far.
  • Options
    mikeisyoumikeisyou Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Hmm ive been watching ghana usa on both bbc one and espn usa, they seem to be copying each other. For example "The only stat that matters is usa 1 ghana nil" and something about 50/50 decisions
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanvice wrote: »
    Savage, just simply the worst stint of broadcasting I've ever heard in my life.

A vile man, complete and utter chancer

What a complete OTT post

How do you know he is vile? Have you ever met him?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to Savage I've enjoyed the goal calls. Great passion.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many thanks. That's just what I was after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could barely comprehend what Savage was saying on the USA winner!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    ITV have put the Belgian flag by Patrick Viera's name instead of the French. Opps

http://postimg.org/image/5u7c1i7s3/

Looks French to me

This is Belgium;
    BELGIUM.png
    forum image hosting
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savage doesn't seem very chatty unless he's specifically asked to speak, sometimes the play-by-play guy has to encourage him.
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savage's story about his tattoo was good...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with some posts by mlt11 that the reaction to Phil Neville indicates a preference for how it is said over what is said, and suggests the casual viewer has s limited interested in tactics which I think is a shame. I really hope the BBC stick with their plan and put Neville on the liv England last 16 match if they get that far.

How a commentator sounds is a fairly important part of his overall performance. And it wasn't as though he was full of outstanding insights.

I expect he'll get better, and hope that there's a last 16 match featuring England to see if Neville will be in the booth. In the meantime, maybe the Beeb should give him a lower profile match or two in which to up his game. Does anyone know if the norm in this situation would be to send him to some other matches and have him cover them with a commentator (or have them do it from a studio watching) even if it's not actually broadcast?
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Savage doesn't seem very chatty unless he's specifically asked to speak, sometimes the play-by-play guy has to encourage him.

Which is exactly what the co-commentator is supposed to do. They used to be called "expert summarisers" and only spoke occasionally to bring insight as to what was happening from a tactical perspective, not, as happens now, waffle on endlessly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with most, I really could not warm to Savage, he is an odd and off putting character in life and his commentary just does not work.

Although I really do not like Rio, his punditry yesterday was good.

The Italian Cannavaro is not getting any better and there are a lot of silences from hosts and pundits when he speaks as if they are baffled.

Apart from German v Portugal, I think yesterday was the weakest day of matches so far.

But, Looking forwards to today, especially seeing Hazard, hope he does show some of his Chelsea flair I have enjoyed so much for my beloved team, amongst others we have on loan and recently gone.
    But also, they do have quite a mix of other Premiership team players of note.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    ITV have put the Belgian flag by Patrick Viera's name instead of the French. Opps
    theboyfold wrote: »

Oh dear, Basdfg :D
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, Basdfg :D
    It was definitely yellow on my screen instead of the blue. Must have only affected some areas.
    ITV hd in London.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you stare at it long enough, the blue will become black and white yellow. I nearly thought it was Belgian too.
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out if I like Savage on commentary or not. I tend to think he lacks a bit of nuance.

Kilbane is attrocious, one of the worst. I have never heard him say anything of insight.