Jeremy Paxman's last ever Newsnight Tonight 18/06/2014

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,541
    Forum Member
    Hehe, he will be shown on a Boris Bike tandem, with Boris, tonight!

On Monday he was presented by Lord Saatchi with a first edition of The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich von Hayek, at the start of an interview and "on behalf of all your victims".

Yes indeed, the end of an era. :(
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is your fault Katz. You utter cock.
  • Options
    dallardicedallardice Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Paxman’s final evening on Newsnight is expected to be a low-key affair, at the presenter’s behest. It is understood that there will be no showreel or a package of his best moments as he is keen not to have anything too self-referential.

But it will feature a film of Paxman’s interview with London mayor Boris Johnson.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/18/jeremy-paxman-channel-4-newsnight-bbc
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was slurring his words last night. Perhaps he had a few goodbye sherrys.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody remember when Peter Snow retired from Newsnight just before he signed off Paxo popped up to introduce a film of Peter Snow's highlights from his time on Newsnight.

I think it would be a nice touch if the same happened in reverse tonight.

OK, it's a while since Peter Snow retired but they have been the two most prominent Newsnight presenters over the last 25 years so I think it would be a nice touch.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was the significance of "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    This is your fault Katz. You utter cock.

He is indeed a cock, but the truth is that Paxman mentally checked out of Newsnight a while ago.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    He is indeed a cock, but the truth is that Paxman mentally checked out of Newsnight a while ago.

But the thing is that you still see his quality.

Take his interview with Mandelson tonight - none of the other Newsnight presenters would have done it at quite the same level.

Not saying the others don't do a good job - they do.

But Paxman has just got that added depth that takes it to a higher level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    But the thing is that you still see his quality.

Take his interview with Mandelson tonight - none of the other Newsnight presenters would have done it at quite the same level.

Not saying the others don't do a good job - they do.

But Paxman has just got that added depth that takes it to a higher level.

Not really disagreeing. He's still the best Newsnight presenter, and when he puts his mind to it he can still do great interviews, Problem is, he hasn't been putting his mind to it nearly enough. For the last couple of years he's too often looked bored and uninterested.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really disagreeing. He's still the best Newsnight presenter, and when he puts his mind to it he can still do great interviews, Problem is, he hasn't been putting his mind to it nearly enough. For the last couple of years he's too often looked bored and uninterested.
    Definitely.

Paxos in a class of his own and given some brilliant 'interviews' over the years or maybe i should say, interrogations! :D

Jon Snow from Channel 4 News interviewed him earlier and that was pretty good. Snow is 66 whilst Paxo is 64. There was much banter about old age of course but it was a good light hearted interview. I think Paxo simply tired of the routine of Newsnight and though he wasn't giving much away, it seems likely he will do more television work though at his own pace and choosing.

I don't blame him. He's the same age as me and i'd had enough after 45 years of continual work.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sold him a one day travelcard at Shepherds Bush once.

I remained calm, refused to be barracked and made sure i got my point across.

Well done Paxo, will be missed.

Have a Supersize Coke on me...

…: http://youtu.be/ugFock3p2xE
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope he keeps doing University Challenge.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Yep. He's still doing UC and the odd documentary which he's quite good at
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Definitely.

Paxos in a class of his own and given some brilliant 'interviews' over the years or maybe i should say, interrogations! :D

He's certainly a formidable interviewer. I do sometimes think he's more interested in breaking down the interviewee than he is in getting real answers to questions.

Although he isn't a Newsnight person, Andrew Neil, for me, is the better interviewer. He's equally tough when it comes to the government and the opposition (which, in fairness, is also the case with Paxo), he virtually always knows his facts inside out, and there's always a sense that there's some purpose to his line of questioning. For Paxo, it does seem to be more about bullying the interviewee into submission.

Jeremy's very memorable, though, so I will miss him...
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regarding the interviews. In recent years there have been fewer and fewer politicians of any standing who were willing to appear on Newsnight. So why submit yourself to the humiliation of a grown-up interview where you're not in control? There are now so many "easier" interviewers: such as Breakfast TV or The One Show, that it's not necessary to clash with the heavyweights who know their subject, when you can get a fawning presenter (not interviewer) who dotes on your mere presence and treats you like the celebrities they are used to having on their show. Oh, and more eyeballs watching, on the lightweight programmes, too.

I think that's one reason why Paxman so often looks bored: there's nothing to get his teeth into. Added to which, most of today's politicians are worthless wastes of space with no grasp of basic politics and even fewer political principles. So there's really nothing about them worth interviewing.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jon Snow interview on C4 was excellent. A couple of old pros gently taking the piss out of each other. Would like to see a longer version of that. Paxo revealed in that that he loathes the new BBC building as well so perhaps another contributory factor to his departure. Katz is still an utter cock though......

The sign-off last night was so low-key (continuity announcer also briefed not to do anything special it would seem) that if you didn`t know you could tune in tonight expecting him to still be there!
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    Although he isn't a Newsnight person, Andrew Neil, for me, is the better interviewer. He's equally tough when it comes to the government and the opposition (which, in fairness, is also the case with Paxo), he virtually always knows his facts inside out, and there's always a sense that there's some purpose to his line of questioning.

Big fan of Neil. His now-cancelled series on the News Channel, Straight Talk, was excellent. I can`t decide if I`d rather he dropped his other commitments to take on Newsnight or stay as is. I`d sorely miss him on This Week and he does seem to enjoy his hols more than most so it`s likely he wouldn`t want the job even if offered.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Andrew Neil is the interviewer Paxman only thinks he is. Neil knows his subject and he does his own research. That gives him an authority that Paxman's never had.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »

I think that's one reason why Paxman so often looks bored: there's nothing to get his teeth into. .

That's certainly the image he projects, but would he really want to get his teeth into something challenging? He writes badly-researched, superficial books, some of his most famous 'inquisitions' have only come after prompts via his earpiece and his performance during election campaigns have generally been a big disappointment. I'm sure he would have been given the chance to do something really bold if he'd wanted to do it. I suspect beneath that air of superiority there's a pretty average mind that doesn't want to be found out. Having the answers in front of him while sneering at undergraduates on University Challenge is a nicely symbolic gig for him these days.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good final episode from Paxo with Mandy, Boris and even a cameo from Michael Howard.

There was also a good interview between Jon Snow and Paxo on Channel 4 News
    http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/180614/clipid/180614_PAXMAN_PAB

Yes, Paxo could be an arse (I met him once and he was an arse in person too), but when he was on the top of his game he is still the best in the business.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the Channel 4 interview was very good.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great final show with just the right amount of humour and news. And he did not-so-subtly clobber the Ambassador.:D

Oh and the end song was a beautiful piss take too.

And the weather forecast.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long overdue retirement, end of an era that it is. Like others have said, his lack of interest and research has often made for embarrassing television in recent years. His tactic is always the same - a sneery, put-down opening question, but if the serve is well returned, he's instantly destroyed.

Not that his replacements are any good. Kuenssberg is just dire. Marie Le Pen completely and totally owned her the other week.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The decline of BBC2 is the decline of Newsnight, just as CH4s decline has done-in CH4 News.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to a new BBC for Paxo and Boris touring the country on a tandem.