Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Great discussion, Mona and NewPark. NewPark, I'd like to pick up on your idea about BP's "prime directive" by pointing out how often, in promoting S5 and 6, MC used the word "disaster" during the interviews. And yes, for many of us viewers, that is exactly what S5 and 6 were. So that gives me the idea that writing "disasters" is part of their prime directive too.

What really baffles me is that BP seems to have the idea that only a "disaster" can be interesting. Why are humor, affection, romance, adventure, and/or heroism not interesting? Not to mention any number of other possibilities? Not only that, but to have very little besides "disaster" happening onscreen is making the storylines one-note, just the opposite of interesting! Hence my loss of interest. :(

Mona, I genuinely wish I shared your optimism about S7. But the ratings for S5 and 6, onerous as they were for you and me, tell a different story. I still believe that BP will stick to the formula that has brought them their highest ratings, although I do not understand why the ratings continue to rise. :confused:
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    It would make more sense if, say, LG had chosen DM off some dating show and had no real idea of who he was before she married him.

However, they've had what four years (or so, PW time) to get to know each other. Enough arguments, stalemates, problems communicating, LG tantrums, DM gruff and monosyllabic, emotionally stunted, and hard to fathom, etc.

The show has made it clear to each other how each other is.

What was the surprise here just because they married? This idea that "gosh, marriage changes everything" is true if the person you married changes significantly during the marriage, which can happen, indeed, and sometimes right after the rice is thrown.

But, if the person you married was gruff, hard to communicate with, kind of drove you crazy, was rude, was emotionally stunted ALL of which you knew before you married him (yet, say, also great in bed), ;-):) and a person who had already driven you so crazy you had 1) had not wanted to marry him, 2) avoided him for three months in your pregnancy, 5) left him once already when you were back together ----the idea that because they are now married LG is suddenly stuck with a gruff, hard to communicate with, kind of drives her crazy, rude, emotionally stunted man, and THAT is what throws her off, is not believable to me. The logic just isn't there.

And, the super problematic way S6 unfolded (as some of us see it), as has been discussed, didn't help, either.

I think what we are meant to believe (which may or may not be credible to you) is that somehow, for some reason, Martin "shut down" and shut Louisa out. So that she felt she was alone in the marriage, and not really being valued as his wife. Maybe super-sensitive of her, maybe she should have paid more attention earlier and tried harder later, but that's what I think we're meant to take away from Louisa's behavior -- to the extent, that is, that it's explicable at all.

They actually had very few dates before she showed up pregnant and then after 3 months on the outs, suddenly reconciled and began living together. So maybe they didn't really know each other as well as they thought they did. And they were dealing with a newborn and then an infant, whose needs probably came before the needs of their relationship (as it so often does, but if you have some solid time together under your belt, it may be easier to weather).

As Caroline Catz has remarked a couple of times, Louisa's big mistake, which she makes over and over, is that she thinks somehow that she can change him. The triumph of hope over experience, for sure.

I don't find it so hard to believe that romantic infatuation subsides, and that's when the rubber hits the road, in a marriage. In early stages sometimes people think that love will conquer all. Later they wake up and realize, no, maybe it won't. And then they have to decide whether they actually can live with this person, with all his or her flaws. And sometimes the answer is no, even if you genuinely love that person. I think that's what we're meant to believe is Louisa's decision stage now.

But of course that's just my attempt to fit together these various pieces into some kind of coherent story. What can I say -- I'm a fan of puzzles and usually can't rest until I complete one! And I do admit that S6 wasn't that well put together. The fact that so many varying and well-defended interpretations are offered suggests that they overshot the mark on ambiguity, as someone said earlier. I think the whole round of scripts needed one more draft and a critical overview of how it all fit together which perhaps it didn't really get.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think what we are meant to believe (which may or may not be credible to you) is that somehow, for some reason, Martin "shut down" and shut Louisa out. So that she felt she was alone in the marriage, and not really being valued as his wife. Maybe super-sensitive of her, maybe she should have paid more attention earlier and tried harder later, but that's what I think we're meant to take away from Louisa's behavior -- to the extent, that is, that it's explicable at all.

They actually had very few dates before she showed up pregnant and then after 3 months on the outs, suddenly reconciled and began living together. So maybe they didn't really know each other as well as they thought they did. And they were dealing with a newborn and then an infant, whose needs probably came before the needs of their relationship (as it so often does, but if you have some solid time together under your belt, it may be easier to weather).

As Caroline Catz has remarked a couple of times, Louisa's big mistake, which she makes over and over, is that she thinks somehow that she can change him. The triumph of hope over experience, for sure.

I don't find it so hard to believe that romantic infatuation subsides, and that's when the rubber hits the road, in a marriage. In early stages sometimes people think that love will conquer all. Later they wake up and realize, no, maybe it won't. And then they have to decide whether they actually can live with this person, with all his or her flaws. And sometimes the answer is no, even if you genuinely love that person. I think that's what we're meant to believe is Louisa's decision stage now.

But of course that's just my attempt to fit together these various pieces into some kind of coherent story. What can I say -- I'm a fan of puzzles and usually can't rest until I complete one! And I do admit that S6 wasn't that well put together. The fact that so many varying and well-defended interpretations are offered suggests that they overshot the mark on ambiguity, as someone said earlier. I think the whole round of scripts needed one more draft and a critical overview of how it all fit together which perhaps it didn't really get.

Maybe they aren't meant to be together..which wouldn't be surprising..as BP never follows the most romantic path. It would be too bad as I'm hoping that DM will I have breakthroughs in his pursuits into some type of therapy. I hope he will open up in his attempts to work though his grief issues..and perhaps become a better spouse to Louisa as I believe he adores her. But maybe it won't be right. I'm just going to see what happens..so I'll be there for S7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Maybe they aren't meant to be together..which wouldn't be surprising..as BP never follows the most romantic path. It would be too bad as I'm hoping that DM will I have breakthroughs in his pursuits into some type of therapy. I hope he will open up in his attempts to work though his grief issues..and perhaps become a better spouse to Louisa as I believe he adores her. But maybe it won't be right. I'm just going to see what happens..so I'll be there for S7.

Has anyone considered a scenario where it is 3 years later and James is a walking talking preschooler and Martin turns up at at Louisa's door? he has supported James in every way and exercised his visitation rights but comes back for Louisa after they've been apart for all those years. Louisa has not committed to anyone else and still carries that passionate torch for him. He is not a totally different person, but he's learned a lot and wants his family back. Now that could be quite a story. Who knows what they can come with?
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    New Park I have to agree that Martin Clunes seems to want more of an acting challenge and is setting himself up to be the serious actor we saw glimpses of in S. 6. He has outgrown the Man Behaving Badly laddism, the hen-pecked William and the lost Reggie Perrin. The fact that BP is producing the serious drama "Arthur & George" as a vehicle for Martin Clunes adds credence to your suggestion, New Park. Clunes showed his serious acting chops in S. 6,, so maybe now BP will give it a rest and let the show end as it began with humor and style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Park I have to agree that Martin Clunes seems to want more of an acting challenge and is setting himself up to be the serious actor we saw glimpses of in S. 6. He has outgrown the Man Behaving Badly laddism, the hen-pecked William and the lost Reggie Perrin. The fact that BP is producing the serious drama "Arthur & George" as a vehicle for Martin Clunes adds credence to your suggestion, New Park. Clunes showed his serious acting chops in S. 6,, so maybe now BP will give it a rest and let the show end as it began with humor and style.

It will be fun to see Nativity 3 to see him exercise his comedy chops, but the fact that he is getting older puts him out of the genre of being hilarious. I hope that the writers of S7 can bring more of some humor into things. I have faith that it will not disappear. Things tend to cycle and his wooing of Louisa and the antics of James Henry could have promise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It will be fun to see Nativity 3 to see him exercise his comedy chops, but the fact that he is getting older puts him out of the genre of being hilarious. I hope that the writers of S7 can bring more of some humor into things. I have faith that it will not disappear. Things tend to cycle and his wooing of Louisa and the antics of James Henry could have promise.

How does getting older stop a person from being hilarious? Jackie Gleason, Bob Hope, George Burns, Jack Benny, Milton Berle, George Carlin, Bob Newhart, Jonathan Winters, Robin Williams . . . I could go on for pages, but the point being that age never stopped any of those guys from being hilarious. :D
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't wait to see Nativity 3. The way it is done by Debbie Islitt seemed like a great challenge for Martin's creativity and acting. His life and career has surprised us in so many ways that I just can't help but believe he still got some aces up his sleeves.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    How does getting older stop a person from being hilarious? Jackie Gleason, Bob Hope, George Burns, Jack Benny, Milton Berle, George Carlin, Bob Newhart, Jonathan Winters, Robin Williams . . . I could go on for pages, but the point being that age never stopped any of those guys from being hilarious. :D

Zarwen, that is SO true. I loved all those old comedians! Yes, those geniuses never grew out of their hilarity.

I think too much is made of MC getting older; he is still well within the bounds of falling upstairs or downstairs, or to scurry after a walking, curious JH (please G-d, they finally allow that poor child to walk!)

And, I feel that just because S6 was the proverbial "Debbie Downer" Doc Martin season, in my POV, it would work just great for me for them to go back to humor and fun.

Hey, they can just start the season with a huge cliche to make me happy! LG wakes up DM in the morning, and he's just in his jammie bottoms and t-shirt, and he rubs his eyes and says "Huh, Lousia, I just had this weird dream of me having that old blood phobia back. I think you were leaving me because of that." LG laughs, "Not only am I not leaving you, but..." (she whispers in his ear as her hand caresses his body), and they begin to....(please fill in the blank as your mind sees fit). :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Zarwen, that is SO true. I loved all those old comedians! Yes, those geniuses never grew out of their hilarity.

I think too much is made of MC getting older; he is still well within the bounds of falling upstairs or downstairs, or to scurry after a walking, curious JH (please G-d, they finally allow that poor child to walk!)

And, I feel that just because S6 was the proverbial "Debbie Downer" Doc Martin season, in my POV, it would work just great for me for them to go back to humor and fun.

Hey, they can just start the season with a huge cliche to make me happy! LG wakes up DM in the morning, and he's just in his jammie bottoms and t-shirt, and he rubs his eyes and says "Huh, Lousia, I just had this weird dream of me having that old blood phobia back. I think you were leaving me because of that." LG laughs, "Not only am I not leaving you, but..." (she whispers in his ear as her hand caresses his body), and they begin to....(please fill in the blank as your mind sees fit). :)

Mona, may your predictions ever come true! :D:D:D
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    The genius of Martin Clunes us his rare talent for both comedy and drama. We've seen the drama now how about even a hint of Docs wry humor. And some pyjama removal activity would be good as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The genius of Martin Clunes us his rare talent for both comedy and drama. We've seen the drama now how about even a hint of Docs wry humor. And some pyjama removal activity would be good as well

Hear, hear!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not denigrating any of those old time comedians or saying that Martin's maturity will ever keep him from being comical. He just has to seek out properties that use his talents appropriately. First, he is not a stand up comedian. He has developed quite and elegant persona. He probably wouldn't pull his trousers down or fart loudly....at least during filming. He probably wouldn't make performing in drag or wearing funny hats or piles of fruit on his head. He probably would do things where boogers or other bodily fluids play a part in the comedy as he did when he was younger. The physical comedy he does is a part of the story, not punching people's noses or poking out eyes like the three stooges or threatening to send people to the moon by punching their lights out. When I think about it DOC MARTIN, the character is really not very funny. It's more the story and how the character interacts within that structure. He is too mature for laddish antics or to be in a cutesy wootsey romantic comedy. He has years of career left...it's just the vehicles have to be appropriate and more satirical and wry than he used to be.

Some of you remind me do growing up with my sister. Her nickname was "The Instigator". She would be contrary just for the sake of being contrary and reveled in the conflict that resulted. The conflict was stupid and irrelevant but just became tiresome. I have been burned on here too badly in a while, but it's getting tough to carry on intelligent verbal intercourse. It's just getting tiring....so meh...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rare talent-- so true. I find it a bit silly that any of us think we know what Martin Clunes will do in the future. I remember a time when I was a bit appalled by some of what he'd done in his past. (I got over it.) I love what he does now. And can only be intrigued to see what comes in the future. He is a talented man with a talented wife and they live an authentic life. They know many other talented writers, directors, actors, etc. and the synergy of all of that can create what none of us can dream of.

Prime example of late: Who would have thought him in Nativity 3 dressed in some of the style clothes he wore for that role? But I honestly believe he took that role for his prime reasons:
    1. he works for a living (we've heard him speak of his "job" often)
    2. he likes a challenge of something different (the diversity of his roles go from the ridiculous to the sublime, plus add in commercials, voice-overs, documentaries, etc.
    3. he believes he can bring something to it ("Confidence" as he told Mrs. Merton)

But talk is what we do here, whether we agree with each other or not. So carry on then. This is just the way I see his job and life. It is a more glamorous life than most of us have, but a "job" speaks volumes to me about how sensible he is about his life.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rare talent-- so true. I find it a bit silly that any of us think we know what Martin Clunes will do in the future. I remember a time when I was a bit appalled by some of what he'd done in his past. (I got over it.) I love what he does now. And can only be intrigued to see what comes in the future. He is a talented man with a talented wife and they live an authentic life. They know many other talented writers, directors, actors, etc. and the synergy of all of that can create what none of us can dream of.

Prime example of late: Who would have thought him in Nativity 3 dressed in some of the style clothes he wore for that role? But I honestly believe he took that role for his prime reasons:
    1. he works for a living (we've heard him speak of his "job" often)
    2. he likes a challenge of something different (the diversity of his roles go from the ridiculous to the sublime, plus add in commercials, voice-overs, documentaries, etc.
    3. he believes he can bring something to it ("Confidence" as he told Mrs. Merton)

But talk is what we do here, whether we agree with each other or not. So carry on then. This is just the way I see his job and life. It is a more glamorous life than most of us have, but a "job" speaks volumes to me about how sensible he is about his life.

There was an interview MArtin Clunes gave after his mother's death when he shared that she had remarked to him about how little vanity he had. Martin was not sure that was entirely complimentary, but he took it as such. Ben Bolt also remarked on how little vanity he had and how fearless he was -- as in, I guess, that he would try anything, and didn't care how he looked or came off. So I tend to think that he is a man who is very, very comfortable in his own skin, and would probably try anything if it seemed interesting and likely to make the production better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    There was an interview MArtin Clunes gave after his mother's death when he shared that she had remarked to him about how little vanity he had. Martin was not sure that was entirely complimentary, but he took it as such. Ben Bolt also remarked on how little vanity he had and how fearless he was -- as in, I guess, that he would try anything, and didn't care how he looked or came off. So I tend to think that he is a man who is very, very comfortable in his own skin, and would probably try anything if it seemed interesting and likely to make the production better.

Good point, NewPark. I'd forgotten that and I think it works seamlessly with confidence, and a good bit of courage as well, and yes, ending up being comfortable in his own skin.

On another note, was just checking FB, and a comment by another fan gave me a bit of an epiphany and I wrote this:

The magically appearing second bed and bedroom in S6 for Mum. I don't think we knew it was there in S5. Very interesting! Also, realize that JH had been moved into the second bedroom in S6, until he moved back in with Mum and Dad due to grandma showing up. M & L had some privacy for a while it seems as they hummed along into the beginning of S6, without a child in the bedroom! Might speak to the more relaxed them of the wedding and honeymoon. ;-):):cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point, NewPark. I'd forgotten that and I think it works seamlessly with confidence, and a good bit of courage as well, and yes, ending up being comfortable in his own skin.

On another note, was just checking FB, and a comment by another fan gave me a bit of an epiphany and I wrote this:

The magically appearing second bed and bedroom in S6 for Mum. I don't think we knew it was there in S5. Very interesting! Also, realize that JH had been moved into the second bedroom in S6, until he moved back in with Mum and Dad due to grandma showing up. M & L had some privacy for a while it seems as they hummed along into the beginning of S6, without a child in the bedroom! Might speak to the more relaxed them of the wedding and honeymoon. ;-):):cool:

I've been corrected. Martin gave his parents his bedroom and said the house had a spare room he'd stay in while they were there. We just didn't see it in S2.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been corrected. Martin gave his parents his bedroom and said the house had a spare room he'd stay in while they were there. We just didn't see it in S2.

Which is why I find it endearing that they shared a bed in S5 even with the uncertainty of their relationship and Martin "needing his sleep" (think back to the snoring-nose strips scene). The fact that they were all in one bedroom (including JH who was waking up several times in the night for feedings) tells me that they really wanted to be close and eventually resume their intimate relationship. I have always believed that Martin was giving Louisa time to recover and heal from the birth, and about the time that they might have resumed the nookie was when things started to deteriorate for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've added something new to PortwennOnline - a "Search This Site" box located at the top of the Home Page.

I've tested it and it's a little maddening that it doesn't seem to work perfectly, but it could be helpful. We talked a few weeks ago (over on FB) about the quote from Pauline about sticking a broom up her backside. This will help you find that quote - just type broom in the search box. It will take you to the page, but you will have to use your computer's (or tablet's) search function to find where on the page it is. If you're not sure how to do that, ask here and one of us can help you with your particular device.

Here are a couple of test searches you could do to test out how it works:
    broom
    newspaper
    "Doctor Who"

For the Doctor Who search, you will find a couple of references to the role Martin played in the series. In this case you will need to use the quotation marks. If you don't, you will get all references to either "doctor" or "who".

Anyway, I think this will prove helpful. I have only finished the Trivia pages (which is where you will find quotes) for 17 of the episodes so far, but as time goes on I will be adding more and more.

http://portwennonline.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Which is why I find it endearing that they shared a bed in S5 even with the uncertainty of their relationship and Martin "needing his sleep" (think back to the snoring-nose strips scene). The fact that they were all in one bedroom (including JH who was waking up several times in the night for feedings) tells me that they really wanted to be close and eventually resume their intimate relationship. I have always believed that Martin was giving Louisa time to recover and heal from the birth, and about the time that they might have resumed the nookie was when things started to deteriorate for them.

Yes, like Martin was being a little too zealous about her comfort and well-being physically, without overt romantic/caring voice-ings to make up for the lack of nookie or stimulate the conversation about readiness???? Brings to mind his reticence with her on so many other occasions and AR's "you don't think you are good enough".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »

Yes, but remember they started out in the cottage LG was renting from Routledge, which might not have had a spare room; so it might have been out of necessity rather than choice, at least in the beginning. I remember feeling shocked to see them in the same bed on that first night, as they had barely been civil to each other for months prior to that day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but remember they started out in the cottage LG was renting from Routledge, which might not have had a spare room; so it might have been out of necessity rather than choice, at least in the beginning. I remember feeling shocked to see them in the same bed on that first night, as they had barely been civil to each other for months prior to that day!

The grand premiere of the Pajamas of Steel. I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking,"What the...?" It was a quirky, but somehow loving period in those few months. They were sleeping together even though they didn't have to, and probably shouldn't have. Actions were speaking louder than words. Only PB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point, Zarwen. When Doc asked if he could stay the night, and L said they'd manage, I sure didn't expect that kind of management!!! I was expecting DM curled into a ball trying to sleep on a tiny couch coupled with exaggerated physical humor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great discussion, Mona and NewPark. NewPark, I'd like to pick up on your idea about BP's "prime directive" by pointing out how often, in promoting S5 and 6, MC used the word "disaster" during the interviews. And yes, for many of us viewers, that is exactly what S5 and 6 were. So that gives me the idea that writing "disasters" is part of their prime directive too.

What really baffles me is that BP seems to have the idea that only a "disaster" can be interesting. Why are humor, affection, romance, adventure, and/or heroism not interesting? Not to mention any number of other possibilities? Not only that, but to have very little besides "disaster" happening onscreen is making the storylines one-note, just the opposite of interesting! Hence my loss of interest. :(

Mona, I genuinely wish I shared your optimism about S7. But the ratings for S5 and 6, onerous as they were for you and me, tell a different story. I still believe that BP will stick to the formula that has brought them their highest ratings, although I do not understand why the ratings continue to rise. :confused:

Well-said, Zarwen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episodes thrown out of the surgery:

S5E5 Remember Me
    S6E6 Hazardous Exposure

New survey this week:

S2E8 Erotomania vs S6E4 Nobody Likes Me

S3E2 Movement vs S5E8 Ever After

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for one or both eliminated episodes): http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
This discussion has been closed.