Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Lisicki guaranteed to make the final because of obvious reasons. It also means Sharapova will either beat or avoid Serena.

In all seriousness I'm predicting this (it won't come true obviously, this is the WTA):

Serena-Sharapova
    Halep-Lisicki
    Muguruza-Radwanska
    Stephens-Wozniacki

I'm not doubting you, but I don't know enough for it to be obvious to me. Could you say a bit more about it?
  • Options
    bruisedkneesbruisedknees Posts: 21,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is something I have been wondering about for some time. Immediately after a player wins a match on the ATP or WTA circuit is it mandatory to minister to the crowd or is it voluntary?
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    He's always been in scrappy 5-setters in week one though

Last year was a laughable performance, yes, but he was unlucky in 2012 to come against Rosol who played like Soderling on steroids

I can't see Nadal being overly pushed really this fortnight, he'll be mentally and physically struggling after the French (is the back an issue?) and has to defend a load on HC's later in year.

Think next year is his time to strike, the extra week off will be very beneficial for him

I think that was mostly in 2010 Wimbledon though he had 2 five setters in the early rounds. I can't remember about the early rounds of 2008 much

[QUOTE=attackmusic;73262599]I find it hysterical that Nadal fans think this is what a tough draw looks like. Karlovic is way past his best, Raonic hasn't beaten Nadal yet, Gasquet is injured and hasn't beaten Nadal since they were in the juniors, Monfils is Monfils, and the rest are lower ranked players like Rosol who really shouldn't be a worry!

Maybe because he got beaten last year and the year before they are trying to talk it up. Anyone who isn't a hardcore Nadal fan seems to (rightly) think his draw isn't tough at all. I am a Roger fan but I'm not gonna say his draw is tougher than it is incase he loses early.

I would love to see a repeat of the 2012 final or a Novak vs Roger final. Sadly I think we might get a Murray vs Nadal match in which case Murray will bend over as usual. The way he talks about Nadal is wrong, he is too much of a fanboy :p[/QUOTE]

For me I am worried because of what happened for the last two years, Rafa looks uncomfortable on the grass to me now :( Wimbledon was my favorite slam but not anymore, I don't expect Rafa to make the final at all.

If Rosol had beaten Novak 2 years ago and he had him in his draw again wouldn't you be worried?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    After Heather’s loss some good British news.

Dom the Bomb Inglot has won the Eastbourne doubles with his partner Treat Huey.:D

Prior to this his number one claim to fame was winning Wimbledon – he was Paul Bettany’s tennis body double in that movie where plucky Brit comes from nowhere to win the title.
  • Options
    bruisedkneesbruisedknees Posts: 21,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In her matches Serena Williams crosses the net on the side opposite the umpire chair after the first game of each set. What would be her reaction if her opponent did the same thing?
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I'm not doubting you, but I don't know enough for it to be obvious to me. Could you say a bit more about it?

It's a running joke in here. Lisicki has beat the reigning FO champion in her last 4 Wimbledon appearances. Sharapova is reigning FO champion and ergo destiny dictates Lisicki beats her which would be in the SF.

Lisicki = Wimbledon finalist. Book it :kitty:
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,591
    Forum Member
    It's a running joke in here. Lisicki has beat the reigning FO champion in her last 4 Wimbledon appearances. Sharapova is reigning FO champion and ergo destiny dictates Lisicki beats her which would be in the SF.

Lisicki = Wimbledon finalist. Book it :kitty:

Lisicki's Law of Wimbledon :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What half of the draw is Gulbis, Tsonga and Nishikori in ?
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hysterical that Nadal fans think this is what a tough draw looks like. Karlovic is way past his best, Raonic hasn't beaten Nadal yet, Gasquet is injured and hasn't beaten Nadal since they were in the juniors, Monfils is Monfils, and the rest are lower ranked players like Rosol who really shouldn't be a worry!

Maybe because he got beaten last year and the year before they are trying to talk it up. Anyone who isn't a hardcore Nadal fan seems to (rightly) think his draw isn't tough at all.

To be fair there are few posters in this thread who aren't Nadal fans and still think his draw is bad. For myself it's not the draw I would have asked for but it may not pan out and Rafa may not get far enough to meet dangerous (for him) players. I never worry to much about draws, it is what it is, and he'll have to make the most of it.

A bit of a side note, i'm suprised Vika is playing Wimbledon, on grass you have to be sure of your movement, so unless she is 100% fit, it may not be a good idea to return on grass. Especially for her as it's not her best surface and she had a horrible fall here last year. I would have thought waiting for the hard court swing would have been better. Maybe i'm being negative here? She knows how she feels so I hope she can get a few matches.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    To be fair there are few posters in this thread who aren't Nadal fans and still think his draw is bad. For myself it's not the draw I would have asked for but it may not pan out and Rafa may not get far enough to meet dangerous (for him) players. I never worry to much about draws, it is what it is, and he'll have to make the most of it.

A bit of a side note, i'm suprised Vika is playing Wimbledon, on grass you have to be sure of your movement, so unless she is 100% fit, it may not be a good idea to return on grass. Especially for her as it's not her best surface and she had a horrible fall here last year. I would have thought waiting for the hard court swing would have been better. Maybe i'm being negative here? She knows how she feels so I hope she can get a few matches.

She moved ok on Monday but I was was surprised like you that she decided to return on grass after last years nasty slip, which I think started her whole injury problems.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    What half of the draw is Gulbis, Tsonga and Nishikori in ?

Gulbis & Tsonga are in the Djokovic quarter. Nishikori is in the Nadal quarter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulbis & Tsonga are in the Djokovic quarter. Nishikori is in the Nadal quarter.

OK thanks. :)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She moved ok on Monday but I was was surprised like you that she decided to return on grass after last years nasty slip, which I think started her whole injury problems.

Well with the better weather, the conditions shouldn't b e the same as last year, which were appalling IMHO.

She seemed to, ahem, be enjoying the WTA party last night, so I'm not sure how seriously she's taking it. As I said before I think it's all about getting fitness, ranking points for the Hard-court season, she doesn't want to slip too far down the seedings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well with the better weather, the conditions shouldn't b e the same as last year, which were appalling IMHO.

She seemed to, ahem, be enjoying the WTA party last night, so I'm not sure how seriously she's taking it. As I said before I think it's all about getting fitness, ranking points for the Hard-court season, she doesn't want to slip too far down the seedings.

Or a slip too far on the grass like last year. I thought she was going to be carried off on a stretcher last year the way she screamed when she slipped and did the splits. :o
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great chance for her to make up points.

If she isn't sure of her fitness, she can take things easy and play comfortably within her ability. That could get her through a few rounds, and geared up for the rest of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's a great chance for her to make up points.

If she isn't sure of her fitness, she can take things easy and play comfortably within her ability. That could get her through a few rounds, and geared up for the rest of the year.

You can't take it easy in a slam these days. I don't think she knows the meaning of the word anyway.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she loses early, it's no worse than not bothering at all.

And easy is relative. Top players take it easy in non-slams all of the time.

The fact is, she doesn't just need ranking points, she needs to get back into the swing of being in tournaments. It's up to her how seriously she takes Wimbledon.

Top players wouldn't be top players if they spent their time worrying about injuries.
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    He sure does, :( I was hoping he would get a few tossers in the first rounds so I am mega fed up, the Rafa Fans site is calling it a nightmare draw and the comments underneath say only a miracle will get Rafa through this, looks like Wimbledon can go to hell again for me this year, I actually tweeted them last year and told them to f**k off. :blush:

http://rafaelnadalfans.com/2014/06/20/wimbledon-2014-nightmare-draw-for-rafael-nadal/

Are you being serious? :o I'm a big Rafa fan, but calling his potential opponents 'tossers'?! :o And did you really tweet Wimbledon and tell them to f**k off? I'm sure Rafa can look after himself, and if he can't handle any opponent put in front of him, he doesn't deserve his ranking ! :)

As I think Mike TV has said, nightmare draws tend to open up anyway as players get knocked out/withdraw, we just have to hope Rafa isn't one of those opening the draw up for others by an early departure!
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    If she loses early, it's no worse than not bothering at all.

And easy is relative. Top players take it easy in non-slams all of the time.

The fact is, she doesn't just need ranking points, she needs to get back into the swing of being in tournaments. It's up to her how seriously she takes Wimbledon.

Top players wouldn't be top players if they spent their time worrying about injuries.

Yeah I suppose this is true, I was just suprised at her decision. Maybe she wants to get it over and done with after she fell last year, if she's nervous and leaves it maybe it will seem like a bigger deal next year.

Knowbody expects her to go deep so there is the lack of pressure this time.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you being serious? :o I'm a big Rafa fan, but calling his potential opponents 'tossers'?! :o And did you really tweet Wimbledon and tell them to f**k off? I'm sure Rafa can look after himself, and if he can't handle any opponent put in front of him, he doesn't deserve his ranking ! :)

As I think Mike TV has said, nightmare draws tend to open up anyway as players get knocked out/withdraw, we just have to hope Rafa isn't one of those opening the draw up for others by an early departure!

That kind of behaviour from fans is scary :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched the WTA pre Wimbledon party arrivals on YT. Ana looked stunning as well as Genie. Sloane was wearing the same dress as the interviewer. Awkward. :D JJ looked like a tranny and Venus hair was :o Serenas trench coat was beautiful. Domi looked sexy as hell.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would never go that far as to say there is some conspiracy against Rafa at Wimbledon but it is a horrible draw. Draws open up but at the minute for anyone to suggest he doesn't have a difficult draw is ridiculous. He does. As you say let's hope the draw opens up and he's not one of those making it open up. Even people who don't like Rafa have said his draw is difficult, bar one poster, on here. Djok has Gulbis, Murray has Dimitrov yes but Rafa has Gasquet, Nisikori, Rosol, Stan, Monfils to name a few. Not all of them may make it or even cause Rafa problems but some of them will and us Rafa fans are being cautious based on the last 2 years at Wimbledon. That's understandable and a tricky draw makes that tripedation all the worse IMO.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,292
    Forum Member
    That kind of behaviour from fans is scary :o

It's almost restraining order level of fanatical! :o
    Just watched the WTA pre Wimbledon party arrivals on YT. Ana looked stunning as well as Genie. Sloane was wearing the same dress as the interviewer. Awkward. :D JJ looked like a tranny and Venus hair was :o Serenas trench coat was beautiful. Domi looked sexy as hell.

JJ looked like an extra from The Addams Family! :D Vika was clearly trashed before she even made her way to the event. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I saw a photo of Laura looking lovely :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would never go that far as to say there is some conspiracy against Rafa at Wimbledon but it is a horrible draw. Draws open up but at the minute for anyone to suggest he doesn't have a difficult draw is ridiculous. He does. As you say let's hope the draw opens up and he's not one of those making it open up. Even people who don't like Rafa have said his draw is difficult, bar one poster, on here. Djok has Gulbis, Murray has Dimitrov yes but Rafa has Gasquet, Nisikori, Rosol, Stan, Monfils to name a few. Not all of them may make it or even cause Rafa problems but some of them will and us Rafa fans are being cautious based on the last 2 years at Wimbledon. That's understandable and a tricky draw makes that tripedation all the worse IMO.

I don't disagree, but to suggest he should only play 'tossers' in the early rounds and to tweet abuse to Wimbledon seems extreme and a bit of an embarrassment to fellow Rafa fans! :blush: I'd prefer an easier draw of course and might even have a moan about it but there are levels, he's Spain's most famous and successful ever sportsperson, who's spent many weeks at number one and earned many, many millions, not some precious little flower!! :o
This discussion has been closed.