Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    I think if people can understand that I am house bound with terrible arthritis and I can hardly walk they may understand a bit better, I love The Beatles. I love Leona Lewis. I love Rafa they all make me happy and thank god for them, I think they would all if they knew feel happy that they were making me happy under the circumstances.

deedee, carry on the way you are and they'll be blocking you!

Seriously, you should probably stay off Twitter when so emotional/distressed just in case you Tweet something REALLY silly.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind words.:) It turned into a far longer and more detailed post than I had anticipated but I thought it was important. But Sparkle is right - deedee needs to see a doctor.

Your post was brilliant Smartie and I completely agree. I often try to ignore it but I do find her posts very worrying. But I don't want her to think we are ganging up on her, I am just worried for her well being. It's not healthy for her to act like this. Me and Deedee have had a laugh and a joke on here at times about the Mr Gorgeous thing but then other times I have felt a genuine concern about what she is writing. I find it quite frightening!

She also said she had a daughter and a husband didn't she? So I think if she says that a tennis player and Leona Lewis are the only things that she loves and gives her joy, it's quite concerning. I just want her to get the help she needs.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get very concerned about deedee. Her posts are quite bizarre.
    When my fave loses I just move on. It's easier to watch the tournament and enjoy tennis once there is no vested interest.
    Talking to a friend today who claims to have "insider knowledge" Says Lendl quit because Andy can no longer hack it at the very top because of his back and he was told to take a year off. Moght be a grain of truth in that. We shall see.
    I think this is set for a Fed win hopefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    When my fave loses I just move on. It's easier to watch the tournament and enjoy tennis once there is no vested interest.
    Talking to a friend today who claims to have "insider knowledge" Says Lendl quit because Andy can no longer hack it at the very top because of his back and he was told to take a year off. Moght be a grain of truth in that. We shall see.
    I think this is set for a Fed win hopefully.

I would love Roger to get his 18th slam, but I don't see it happening :(

We all want our favourites to win and it is frustrating and sad when they don't but it's not something to get depressed about. I was disappointed Novak was sick and played badly in the FO final but I'm over it now. I certainly wouldn't tweet the French open or Nadal telling them to F off or anything. I don't like Nadal but I wouldn't step that boundary, same with other plays I don't like. It's sport, sometime your fave wins and sometimes they lose.
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 3 comps for Wimbledon if you fancy playing.

1)2014 Tennis : Wimbledon Fantasy Comp (Starts June 23rd)

http://www.tffdreamteam.com/wimbledon/index.php

League Name : DS 2014 Wimbledon
    Password : dccc93334a47b7c04c5238472a7c95d8.

2)2014 Tennis : Wimbledon Woman's Singles Prediction Comp (Starts June 23rd)

http://v3.prediction-game.com

League Name : 2014 Woman's Singles
    Registration key: QQFSJQLMLV

3)2014 Tennis : Wimbledon Men's Singles Prediction Comp (Starts June 23rd)

To join the Comp please go to

http://v3.prediction-game.com

League Name : 2014 Men's Singles
    Registration key: KLLTOOHTBI

If you do join can you send me your username you use for the Comps.:)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to comment on this, as most posters here have already said what I've been thinking and I'm sure none of us want to come across as if we're all having a go at you. As some posters said, for a time I wondered if you were winding us all up but I now think your comments are genuine.

I do agree with the posters though - that over the last few months your posts have become increasingly worrying and the point you spoke of hating Rosol and Darcis and later tweeting them with abusive words really crossed a line. I was going to comment then, but left it. It's clear from reading your posts that you are going through a very hard time physically and probably emotionally. I do wonder about the level of support you are getting in your every day life as Nadal seems to have become a crutch for you to the level it now seems far too obssessive. I was actually worried when you said you've taped Nadal's birthday interview 17 times, but the things you've posted since are shocking.

Now the reason I am posting is that I don't think being housebound with severe arthritis or anything else is a valid excuse for such behaviour. Honestly, if I were not in a similar situation to you I wouldn't comment on it but I am speaking from personal experience. A tennis thread isn't really the place to go into it, but I have complex medical conditions myself, suffering from crippling pain from early childhood and throughout my life. I know what it is like to be housebound, and even room bound, sometimes for months and even years on end. It's horrible, it's depressing, it's frustrating - but you will know all that yourself. I have a lovely posh electric wheelchair now so I am getting out far more, but tennis is one of the things that has really kept me going over the years. Just as you are a fan of Nadal, I am a fan of Venus and Serena, and Andy Murray. I can tell you that growing up watching tennis, the two things I wanted to see in my life time were a British player win Wimbledon and a black player to win Wimbledon (because I am from a Caribbean family). I actually cried with joy when Andy won Wimbledon and the US Open, and was similarily ecstatic when Venus won too. Even now, watching Serena or Andy beat a tricky opponent or win a Slam can fill me with untold joy which can make pain levels easier to bear if I am going through a bad patch, or make me happier if I am stuck indoors for ages. As you will have discovered, it gives something positive to focus on.

Having said all that, although I feel absolutely gutted if one of them doesn't do as well as expected, I could never dream of being so vile to the other player. When Serena lost to Gabine at the FO, Lisciki at Wimby or Venus to Pironkova, after I got over my initial disappointment (and I was really sad about it) I actually wanted those players to do well since they had done the hard work of taking out the biggest threat. The only players I really dislike on the tour are Sharapova and Lleyton Hewitt. And with Sharapova it's partly because on her official website there is a fan forum page where some of her supporters post the most vile, racist abuse about Serena and the other black players. Having said that, when she beats Venus (who I absolutely love) it would be a step too far to tweet abusive words to her. But liking and disliking players is part of the fun of being a tennis fanatic - but being abusive, going on and on about Nadal to the point you do really crosses a line.

In relation to what you said that you think Nadal would be happy knowing that he is making you happy - well, I think you are wrong. Obviously I cannot speak for him but I'd guess he would be quite concerned about the level of your obsession with him. It's different if you are a teenage girl, it almost goes with the territory - but I know you're a mature adult. Of course you're in a difficult situation but this isn't healthy at all. In fact, I would say it's turning into a condition just as worrying as the arthritis. Like I said, I don't know if you're receiving help and support but I do think you need to watch just how obsessive you are becoming as it's sounding pretty scary. And I hope that the fact that so many posters have commented on it, saying similar things will help you realise just how worrying it sounds.

Should be said that forum doesn't exist anymore, it's been removed from her website.
  • Options
    TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    Damn, I didn't know this was on on BBC TWO. Only just tuned in.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Failed to get any return tickets for Monday (they went on sale at noon).

So it's 4 hours in the queue instead.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Failed to get any return tickets for Monday (they went on sale at noon).

So it's 4 hours in the queue instead.

There's always tomorrow.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We all want our favourites to win and it is frustrating and sad when they don't but it's not something to get depressed about. I was disappointed Novak was sick and played badly in the FO final but I'm over it now. I certainly wouldn't tweet the French open or Nadal telling them to F off or anything. I don't like Nadal but I wouldn't step that boundary, same with other plays I don't like. It's sport, sometime your fave wins and sometimes they lose.

Roger has Rafa to get past and that's a nothing match up these days but if Rafa loses early, which based on the last 2 years and his tricky draw this year is possible, then he may have a chance. Djok's potential wrist troubles and Murray having Grigor may mean he may not face either of them or if he does he has better success against them than Rafa, so he's certainly by no means out of the running. I do put him 4th fave behind the other 3 though.

I want my faves to win every match they play but its just not possible but I would never abuse players who beat them. As you know on here, I dislike Murray but if he wins a tennis match I don't cry or abuse him for winning or abuse his opponent for losing. I hated Wimbledon last year due to Rafa losing early, Roger losing early, all the injury pullouts but mostly Murray winning. I wont even watch the centre court match at 1.00pm Mon and watch another match but if he wins I wont cry or scream about it. I want him to lose every match he plays as you do with Rafa im sure but if he does win im not fussed. My life doesn't revolve around tennis and abusing a tournament twitter account or tennis players when things don't go your way is wrong.

Deedee is showing worrying signs and for a few months now her obsession has been getting worse. I hope she sees we are all just looking after her best interests by pointing out our worries. Deedee if you see our concerns don't take them personally. We are just worried.
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    I think this is set for a Fed win hopefully

That's quite a worry, hope it's not true! :(

I know you write the Fed off at your peril, but I'm not convinced he's still got a slam in him, even this one. I don't see Andy defending either, although I'm no expert and I'd be happy to be wrong.
    My thinking is either Nole or Rafa, depending how bad Nole's wrist is of course, or maybe someone new if Nole and Andy really aren't fully fit and Rafa either doesn't survive one of his early scares again or has back/knee problems.
    Could potentially be a good time for someone else to step up and chip away at the GS stranglehold of the 'big 4', but I'm not going to suggest any names :blush:

I'm hoping for Rafa really though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I obviously love this article, I'm sure it won't change anyone's entrenched views though, yet hey it's worth a try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisicki and Stosur go into Wimbledon without coaches.

Coco Vandeweghe wins 's-Hertogenbosch. Garbine Muguruza, who she beat in quarterfinals this week will have a tough match against her in the first-round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Madison looks a lot different off court.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member

I'd love to see Roger win too - but I'll give him a 50-50 chance, and I'd give him a good chance against Rafa too on grass (although it does change by the second week). All depends on so many things, but - come on Roger!

Haven't been on here much lately. Have a bit of a nasty tumour and am undergoing unpleasant chemotherapy which zaps me out amongst other things (what a motley crew we are really!). Please forgive me if I pop in and out with no real consistency and hope you don't all mind my still doing so from time to time.

Beautiful day today and I'm now going to go out and make the most of the sunshine:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Roger win too - but I'll give him a 50-50 chance, and I'd give him a good chance against Rafa too on grass (although it does change by the second week). All depends on so many things, but - come on Roger!

Haven't been on here much lately. Have a bit of a nasty tumour and am undergoing unpleasant chemotherapy which zaps me out amongst other things (what a motley crew we are really!). Please forgive me if I pop in and out with no real consistency and hope you don't all mind my still doing so from time to time.

Beautiful day today and I'm now going to go out and make the most of the sunshine:)

Hey Rita. Good to see you again on here. Sorry to hear about your illness. I wish you a very speedy recovery. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger has Rafa to get past and that's a nothing match up these days but if Rafa loses early, which based on the last 2 years and his tricky draw this year is possible, then he may have a chance. Djok's potential wrist troubles and Murray having Grigor may mean he may not face either of them or if he does he has better success against them than Rafa, so he's certainly by no means out of the running. I do put him 4th fave behind the other 3 though.

I want my faves to win every match they play but its just not possible but I would never abuse players who beat them. As you know on here, I dislike Murray but if he wins a tennis match I don't cry or abuse him for winning or abuse his opponent for losing. I hated Wimbledon last year due to Rafa losing early, Roger losing early, all the injury pullouts but mostly Murray winning. I wont even watch the centre court match at 1.00pm Mon and watch another match but if he wins I wont cry or scream about it. I want him to lose every match he plays as you do with Rafa im sure but if he does win im not fussed. My life doesn't revolve around tennis and abusing a tournament twitter account or tennis players when things don't go your way is wrong.

Deedee is showing worrying signs and for a few months now her obsession has been getting worse. I hope she sees we are all just looking after her best interests by pointing out our worries. Deedee if you see our concerns don't take them personally. We are just worried.

I agree. To be honest, after the second set of the FO I only half watched the match, I knew how things were going because Novak just lost it and wasn't well either. I didn't watch the ceremony either. It may seem immature but if you don't like a player then it's not really in your interest to watch them win. So I understand why you didn't watch Wimbledon last year. But there is a difference between not being happy someone won and abusing them or the tournament etc. There is a line you shouldn't cross.

I am upset when my faves lose but I don't take it to heart like Deedee seems to, it is very concerning that her life seems to revolve around seeing Nadal and that she gets so depressed when he loses. I also hope she knows we want to help her and aren't attacking her. At the end of the day, there are much bigger things than who wins a tennis match. I don't like Serena but she is a great player and if she wins then good for her and her fans. Same with Nadal. There are more important things that should put it in perspective, like what happened to poor Bally :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »

So sorry to hear about your health Rita. Really hope you get better soon. I feel so bad for people in this thread, seems to be a lot of health issues :( Would indeed be excellent if Roger could win another slam :)
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is last I am going to say about all this as at the end of the day this is a tennis thread and not the deedee problems thread. I just want to clear some things up.

There is no need to worry for me at all honestly, :) Yes I have some problems the last time I went to the doctors I was just sat crying at them but that is another story., For the person that said about I have a husband yes that is correct but he spends most of his time with a 22 year old girl who had problems herself he is teaching her to mend instruments as that is his job anyway half the time anyone barley notices I exist. there are other problems too.

I remembered this morning that I didn't tell Wimbledon to F off directly it was hash tagged with that from masses of Rafa fans on twitter that I follow who seem to be a hell lot worse than me so we must be all mad together. :) I just joined them all with the hash tag. I deleted the tweet to Rosol and Darcis the moment I did them. :) as I knew it was wrong. :) If you all think I am bad you should see the fans I follow on twitter they even have massive posters up of him at their work :)

Yesterday I was down because Rafa was playing in a match at Hurlingham tennis club and I was sad thinking if only I had £150 and I could walk and manage OK I would have been able to go to see the match so I was sad.

By the way this is me meeting Leona last year and she was totally lovely and she knows about my problems as I wrote her a letter when I saw her at radio aire and she tweeted me to thank me for it. she made me so happy.

http://instagram.com/p/mm-JoRhs8m/

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to MARTYM8 for being so lovely yesterday in the posts you did. :)
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Do you have to be quite so brutal!

I do hope we see a little more tact and diplomacy over the next two weeks.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    So deedee loves Rafa.

Grown men cry over football matches.

Teenage girls go crazy over Harry Styles.

Where is the harm in it - just go with the flow!

I just wanted to say thank you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope we see Keys vs Giorgi at Wimbledon. 2 hard hitters who take the fluff off the balls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely think Fed has a chance at Wimbledon this year, if he gets a bit of luck.

Don't feel the other 3 are quite in the same imperious form they've been in the last few years, and he is, by far, the more natural grass-courter. Can't see anyone else remotely challenging either. Yet hey who knows I'd have said the same before the Oz Open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Lisicki and Halep could handle this power on grass from Keys. Kerber clearly struggling to handle her power.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Francesca Schiavone will be playing her 56th consecutive grand slam - 14 years without missing one !

2nd place in the all time list

Forza Franny !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Francesca Schiavone will be playing her 56th consecutive grand slam - 14 years without missing one !

2nd place in the all time list

Forza Franny !

I think that puts her in 1st place now. One ahead of Ferreira. Oh I've just read she equals his record. Roger holds the record of 57.
This discussion has been closed.