Options

Why do we turn the television set over to see what's on the other side?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,460
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As suggested in another thread, I thought I'd ask where the sayings associated with watching television came from.

Examples include such sayings as "turn the TV over" and "whats on the other side" and why we call it a "television set". Feel free to add any others that you can think of :)

My theory about "turning the TV over" to see "what's on the other side" came about because, when ITV first started in 1955, existing televisions were only designed to receive BBC (1).

In order to receive ITV, existing sets had to be modified with some sort of lever that had to be "turned over" to "the other side" between the two channels available.

The saying stuck, even though subsequent televisions were manufactured to receive the then only two channels available.

Dan's Dad thinks that the sayings come from the operation of turret tuners (for those too young to remember, these were large round channel changing mechanisms at the front of the TV) that were clicked through various positions until the desired channel was found.

As for the term 'television set' (set of what :confused:):

Dan's Dad has heard several theories as to where the etymology originated from. One is that there are transmitting sets and receiving sets, another that it has military origins in connection with the set of equipment involved in field operations, that it refers to the set of Marconi patents or that it refers to the set of thermionic valves used in televisions.

Aidan Lunn believes that the term is derived from when people used to build their own TV sets out of kits ie a set of parts when, after the war, there was a surplus of Government equipment and personnel with the required experise to do it available.

Comments

• Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never called it Television Set and if I want see what's on I usually just check the EPG or the Total TV Guide or LocateTV.

I also don't call a channel The Other Side.
  • Options
    scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    I have leads and sockets on the other side of my telly.:)
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    I've never called it Television Set and if I want see what's on I usually just check the EPG or the Total TV Guide or LocateTV.

I also don't call a channel The Other Side.

Might be an age thing, do younger people no longer say "what's on the other side"?

Maybe young people now say "what's on the other channel" now :D
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These phrases probably also don't just originate in the UK either. In 1955, the US had 4 Networks and I've heard it before in the states.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I would have assumed that the phrase came about when we had only two channels, the BBC and ITV.

Two sides, like a sheet of paper. You turn over a sheet of paper to see what's on the other side.
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the 60s the full expression was 'turn it over to the other side'. That is literally what happened. There were 13 channels. BBC generally had the lower channels, and ITV the upper channels. You turned the knob which located and clicked on each channel as you turned it over. It took quite a bit of strength to move this turret using thumb and forefinger. I recall the moment I had grown up sufficiently to have the strength to turn it. Almost a rite of passage!

There were other controls like 'horizontal hold', and 'vertical hold', which were great fun too, but that's another story!
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting discussion, I heard an old man call ITV Independent Television a couple of years ago and it was the first time I'd heard this since the eighties.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    logjam wrote: »
    Back in the 60s the full expression was 'turn it over to the other side'. That is literally what happened. There were 13 channels. BBC generally had the lower channels, and ITV the upper channels. You turned the knob which located and clicked on each channel as you turned it over. It took quite a bit of strength to move this turret using thumb and forefinger. I recall the moment I had grown up sufficiently to have the strength to turn it. Almost a rite of passage!

There were other controls like 'horizontal hold', and 'vertical hold', which were great fun too, but that's another story!

oh come on please tell you've mentioned it now:D
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 60's I was at my gran's when grandad said "there's nothing on the telly".

I looked and there was an ornament and a photograph. I might have been only 6 or 7 though!!
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember that knob from the very early 60's, the set must have been a Bush from mid-50's or at least before ITV was born as it was an addition.
    A bloody sight simpler than adding a box, plugging it in to the mains, and putting up a dish.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Could the phrase be of older vintage than TV? As a nearly 80 y.o. I remember my father saying of the radio "turn it off" or "turn it over to...". The phrase would then have been entirely logical, since controls were twist type and not the buttons we use now.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I said "what's on the other side" plenty of times. It's probably something I picked up from my parents.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very quickly tv manufacturers arranged the turret tuners so that the local BBC and ITV channels were located adjacent to each other, for example in Central Scotland, Channel 3 (BBC) was beside Channel 10 (STV)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very quickly tv manufacturers arranged the turret tuners so that the local BBC and ITV channels were located adjacent to each other, for example in Central Scotland, Channel 3 (BBC) was beside Channel 10 (STV)

apparently that soon broke down too, so several programmable options is what obviously got used later!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My mum used to say "what's on the other side" a lot. She doesn't say it any more.
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    An interesting discussion, I heard an old man call ITV Independent Television a couple of years ago and it was the first time I'd heard this since the eighties.

My old Gran used to say "what's on the ITA?"

She gradually got persuade to call it Anglia by my Grandad, but often went back to calling it ITA.
    When asked her why (Iwas about 8 years old) she said it must be the proper name becuse that's how it starts up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JHmvhbP7SI
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Usually the early sets would only have the components for the local channel(s) installed on the turret.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »
    My old Gran used to say "what's on the ITA?"

She gradually got persuade to call it Anglia by my Grandad, but often went back to calling it ITA.
    When asked her why (Iwas about 8 years old) she said it must be the proper name becuse that's how it starts up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JHmvhbP7SI

And some who had contact with the ITA etc would continue to call it that just to annoy them rather than try to remember what they were calling themselves that week! :):):)
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    oh come on please tell you've mentioned it now:D

In layman's terms the loss of 'Horizontal hold' resulted in the lines being out of sync with each other. The whole picture looked like jagged diagonal lines. A loss of 'vertical hold' resulted in the frame timing getting out of sync. The result was that the picture rolled up or down. The controls allowed you to adjust these values to get a watchable picture.
    To be fair these values only needed to be changed as the set wore out. Normally they could be left alone. If the holds needed adjusting on a regular basis it was time to call out the television repairman. I guess you wouldn't know about those either. :)

(I can't believe I'm having to explain this. I'm obviously a remnant of a bygone age! :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In layman's terms the loss of 'Horizontal hold' resulted in the lines being out of sync with each other. The whole picture looked like jagged diagonal lines. A loss of 'vertical hold' resulted in the frame timing getting out of sync. The result was that the picture rolled up or down. The controls allowed you to adjust these values to get a watchable picture.
    To be fair these values only needed to be changed as the set wore out. Normally they could be left alone. If the holds needed adjusting on a regular basis it was time to call out the television repairman. I guess you wouldn't know about those either. :)

(I can't believe I'm having to explain this. I'm obviously a remnant of a bygone age! :D)

Yes Im too young to remember those controls, but I had already picked up on what they did.
    I was kind of thinking you had a story about playing with these as a kid!

I do have a rather technical mind so I get it technically!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I If the holds needed adjusting on a regular basis it was time to call out the television repairman. I guess you wouldn't know about those either. :)

And TV repairmen always carried a stock of replacement valves in their estate car, to effect a repair at home. Otherwise, they would take the set back to their shop to repair it there (usually involving a soldering iron).
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After closedown in the VHF days we could hear the police radio on our telly, I remember one night listening to them chasing someone in a stolen car.

I used to get a bit worried by presenters who said ''See you tomorrow'' until I realised they actually couldn't see me (which was fortunate on some occasions:D)
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We say what's on or look and see if there's anything on and call it the TV. My mother, who was born in 1951, can remember when there were only 2 Channels but she never says what's on the other side, she usually says is there anything on anywhere.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the phrase be of older vintage than TV? As a nearly 80 y.o. I remember my father saying of the radio "turn it off" or "turn it over to...". The phrase would then have been entirely logical, since controls were twist type and not the buttons we use now.

Exactly. And calling it a television set would have been a logical extension from calling a radio a "radio set", or even a "wireless set", which would have been the military term for a transceiver used by the army. Ultimately this could be an example of our language being adapted to suit the times, with men returning from national service with a new vocabulary.

The other weird one is that many people of my parents' generation didn't refer to television channels, they called them programmes. So my dad would ask, "what programme is this?", and expect the answer to be BBC One, ITV, etc rather than Panorama or the Sooty Show. Again, I think it was a logical expression derived from the old names for the BBC radio networks such as Light Programme and Third Programme.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We found some old newspapers from the early '60's a few years ago. Mostly the London Evening News (broadsheet). The TV listings had two columns: Channel 1 and Channel 9 - not BBC and ITV (as it would have been the local ITV company). They didn't even bother naming the broadcasters.

Though, looking: even then the programmes were mostly crap, too.
    Plus ca change.