Options

Britain's 'extinct' names - Gertrude gone, Rowland retired and Marjorie missing.

Comments

• Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw my nan was called Blodwen, a good Welsh name there
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can any name be deemed 'extinct' just because someone didn't register it this year? They might register it next year.

I agree, it's nonsense. Nobody did any research at all by the looks of it.

Names tend to be cyclical in popularity. Right now it's the "old lady" and "old man" names that were popular 100 years ago that are in. Scullery maid names for sure!
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Still plenty of old 'scullery maids' names around. Rosie, Daisy, Violet Florence, Ruby Martha, Sara, Hannah, Poppy.

And Albert, Arthur, George, all the names that my grandad and his mates were called. Coming soon are the slightly later Stanley, Ernest, Reginald, Raymond type names.

Names from my generation are the mum, aunty, uncle and grandad names and they are currently out. Susan, David, Tracy, Donna, John etc. They'll be back though. We would never have picked names like Florence or Ethel for our daughters though! They were our grannies!

There are only few names that seem completely timeless and are widely found in every generation. Catherine, Elizabeth, Sarah, James, Alexander perhaps.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theodora, and Dorothea. Also Myrtle.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Also Myrtle.

My dad calls me Myrtle as a nickname lol. Mostly because when I was born the midwife was called Myrtle and my mum made a point of saying that if I was a girl she would not consider the name Myrtle. Of course I was a boy who got named Mark, but my dad's sense of humour being what it is he calls me Myrtle anyway lol.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    My dad calls me Myrtle as a nickname lol. Mostly because when I was born the midwife was called Myrtle and my mum made a point of saying that if I was a girl she would not consider the name Myrtle. Of course I was a boy who got named Mark, but my dad's sense of humour being what it is he calls me Myrtle anyway lol.

Haha, that's quite funny. :). We used call someone who was very old fashioned a right Martha. My niece called her daughter Martha to her mothers eternal embarrassment . I love it now as she is lovely. I don't know any Myrtles but knew a Dorothea who was never shortened to Dot or Dorothy.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My paternal relatives had names like Mabel, Lettice ( which I really like), Gideon - you don't see too many of them around now.

Popular named do date you - my classes at school were full of Karens, Kims, Debbies, Susans, Jackies etc. Boys were Paul,CPeter, David, Terry, Alan etc

Sometimes you had contemporaries who were given more unusual names - Cheri, Clara, Clea - all the Cs! I was always a bit jealous of them, their parents were a bit more bohemian than mine were.

Seem to be a lot of Siennas and Madisons around now, which I find a bit cringe, but they are the modern Karen, Kim equivalents.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My paternal relatives had names like Mabel, Lettice ( which I really like), Gideon - you don't see too many of them around now.

Popular named do date you - my classes at school were full of Karens, Kims, Debbies, Susans, Jackies etc. Boys were Paul,CPeter, David, Terry, Alan etc

Sometimes you had contemporaries who were given more unusual names - Cheri, Clara, Clea - all the Cs! I was always a bit jealous of them, their parents were a bit more bohemian than mine were.

Seem to be a lot of Siennas and Madisons around now, which I find a bit cringe, but they are the modern Karen, Kim equivalents.

Wasn't there someone on Britains Got Talent called Lettice?
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Indeed, and my mother told me when I was young that if I had been a girl I would have been called Gaynor. I had a lucky escape!

My SIL is called Gaynor
  • Options
    Forum Member

I said before, I know a LOAD of Sarahs, plus a lot of Lauras, Emmas and Laurens. Boy wise, there are loads of Marks, James' (plus a few Jamies) and Bens.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a Gideon in every hotel room.

Nowadays we just have one in Number 11 Downing Street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    There used to be a Gideon in every hotel room.

Nowadays we just have one in Number 11 Downing Street.

Lol. It's one of those names, like Quentin, where you can almost picture what someone called it looks like.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Wasn't there someone on Britains Got Talent called Lettice?

Yes there was.

I can't imagine there will be any Richard's shortening their name to Dick anytime soon;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I grew up in the 70s with Pamelas, Suzies, Deborahs, Wendys, and Janets. Boys included Jonathans, Charleses, a Leo, Toby, a Marcus and a Giles.

My friend has a daughter called Daisy Bluebell. Sounds silly but it really suits her little girl. Not sure about when she grows up though! I love names such as Arabella, Georgina, Phoebe and Cordelia. I thought I was expecting a boy when I was having my daughter and we had planned Benedict for him.

I love people talking about their names and where they originated from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The three most unique names among people I know are Kitrina (universally shortened to "Kit"), Saint (legally her name, but not her birth name) and Kalon (I have no clue where that comes from)
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE Roland, fantastic name - never had a son, but that would have been on the short list.

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.

Romantic with a capital R, and Rolly is accessible, I don't know why we are losing it:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE Edith too, such a gentle and beautiful name.

And Pearl, I had a second cousin - a dear cousin of my Father's called this.

I wanted my child to be Alexandra Pearl, but when I looked at her, she just wasn't an Alex, and the father vetoed Pearl.

I do have a cousin who I am close to, who has a baby called Tabitha Pearl, and I'm sort of terribly happy about it.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,938
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    I'm struggling to get my head around a few of the at risk names, such as:

Arnold, Fred, Ann, Jane, Janet, Jennie (isn't that just a spelling) and Mary. I'd have thought these would be fairly common traditional names.

Ann has become very unusual.

I teach in a comprehensive school and there isn't a single Ann in the pupil population.

There are three Ann(e)s on the staff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I grew up in the 70s with Pamelas, Suzies, Deborahs, Wendys, and Janets. Boys included Jonathans, Charleses, a Leo, Toby, a Marcus and a Giles.

My friend has a daughter called Daisy Bluebell. Sounds silly but it really suits her little girl. Not sure about when she grows up though! I love names such as Arabella, Georgina, Phoebe and Cordelia. I thought I was expecting a boy when I was having my daughter and we had planned Benedict for him.

I love people talking about their names and where they originated from.

Daisy Bluebell sounds like the name you'd give a cow.
    These people need to remember that one day these babies will be adults.
    'Wilfie' for example sounds ridiculous if the man is in his 40s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my year at school we had 3 Owains, 3 Rhyses, 4 Aleds and 2 Gareths.

They all got unflattering nicknames in order to differentiate.

The popularity of names depends which part of the country you're in I suppose.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came across a baby Maggie the other day. (I believe not Margaret, just Maggie)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    In my year at school we had 3 Owains, 3 Rhyses, 4 Aleds and 2 Gareths.

They all got unflattering nicknames in order to differentiate.

The popularity of names depends which part of the country you're in I suppose.

And the time.

In every class I was in, there were more than THREE Alisons.

Just like Elvis' song.

And my name was absolutely unique - in every school and workplace.

And Alison has disappeared, and my name has become a bit depressingly common, although they are all twenty years or so younger than me:(
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    snip>>
    I have noticed a definite shortage of Fanny and Willie in these modern times.

Never mind I am sure things will pick up soon

I don't get how they can class a name as extinct as it was on a list in 1905 but not on a list in 2012,m maybe there were none in 2012 that doesn't mean there wasn't it 2011 or 2013. I know a Muriel and a Gladys and both are in their 40's .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gertrude's not Extinct with me. My dad has called everything and everyone Gertrude for donkey's years. Pets, family, all his children.

We all answer to Gert:blush:

Anything male gets called George.

I don't know you or your dad but I love your daddy .... give him a cuddle from me. He's a proper man and gentleman in my books.

Tell him Scots Gertie from way back in the day sends her best wishes
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Lol. It's one of those names, like Quentin, where you can almost picture what someone called it looks like.

My relative Gideon looked like a Jim. That's what he called himself! We are not posh, think it was an old family name that got passed down to oldest son. My ancestors seem to have been farmers, and not the gentleman type either!
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm nearly expired but my name not mentioned so far, unless my tired eyes missed it.
    "Gerald":)