Options

Is anyone else dissapointed by today's technology?

By this year, I thought it would be better to be honest.

Mobile phones still need charged each day, you'd have though someone would have invented a much longer battery.

Things are still quite big/thick/noisy, laptops are definitely getting thinner, but most still have fans too (noise).

I thought SSDs would have ruled now, but HDDs are still around.

Computer startups are not instant yet.

Internet speeds are getting better but still not amazing

Comments

• Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    It's just human to never be satisfied, that's what drives us forward.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some hardware is thin.

SSD does rule in users that know their stuff.

My internet is amazing.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mobile phones still need charged each day, you'd have though someone would have invented a much longer battery.

Things are still quite big/thick/noisy, laptops are definitely getting thinner, but most still have fans too (noise).

Even though technology's advancing rapidly, I think companies will try and milk their technology for all it's worth until they're ready to move on to the next generation. SSDs have only been popular for about 4 years. The sales for them seem to have taken off like a rocket! I think HDDs are still being bought for storage only and not for the OS by a load of people now. From what I've read, it's the speed of the motherboard that affects the first half of the startup time. The second half is when the SSD is using radom reads to load the OS. Maybe if SSDs were quicker at random reads, this would perhaps load the OS far more quicker once the motherboard has loaded. As far as internet speed goes, FTTC is still in its very infancy right now. The speed might get upped in a couple of years time. Laptop and desktop processors would very quickly overheat if they didn't have fans blowing air down on the heatsink, or over the heatsink for a laptop. I have been wondering how fast things would be if processors and memory didn't have clock speeds. AMD and Intel could always design their non clock speed processors so that the higher the price, the more instructions it performed. This would remove the heat issue and might mean that we wouldn't need CPU fans anymore. I don't know how exactly this would be achieved though.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Hover car and jet pack.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Hover car and jet pack.

Ditto... and those hover boards from Back to the Future 2...
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,419
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else dissapointed by today's technology?

Yes; Windows 8/8.1 shows that, in the 21st century, Microsoft still can't get things right. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Microsoft still can't get things right. :(

Then who would buy Windows 9+? As far as the marketing bods at MS are concerned they're doing things spot on...
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    It's just human to never be satisfied, that's what drives us forward.

That is about right, always want bigger, faster and better, even if it is not needed.

Technology is fine as it is, I sometimes think they go a bit too far to be hones and
  • Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Yes, without a doubt.

40 years ago you could fly from London to New York in just over three hours.

Today it takes seven hours. :(
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought computer operating systems would be more intelligent and self regulating by now.

Things like software conflicts and driver problems shouldn't bring the whole system crashing down with blue screen errors (Windows).
    The OS should be able to manage all that, and if it needs a new driver for something it should just ask permission to go off and get it from the web.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I thought computer operating systems would be more intelligent and self regulating by now.

Things like software conflicts and driver problems shouldn't bring the whole system crashing down with blue screen errors (Windows).
    The OS should be able to manage all that, and if it needs a new driver for something it should just ask permission to go off and get it from the web.

Most of the time that is what it does. New hardware you would not expect the Os to find the driver, but for older hardware finding drivers work ok.
    the problem is it is not always just drivers you need, some hardware need other software to work. My scanner for instance need software so the buttons on the front works, my keyboard needs software for the G keys to work correctly.

I have not had a BSO on windows due to driver problems since the early beta on windows 7.

I may knock windows sometimes, but it is a lot more stable than it ever been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debb1e wrote: »
    Yes, without a doubt.

So why is that? I do not fly, so I have know idea.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    So why is that? I do not fly, so I have know idea.

It was the era of supersonic air travel via Concorde, travelling at just over twice the speed of sound.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/history-and-heritage/celebrating-concorde
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not jetpacks that are the problem, it's using a jetpack without a) trusting people not to run out of fuel and plummet to their deaths and b) scorching your legs to crispy stubs.

Anyway yes, SSD does still seem to be relatively expensive. The problem isn't that the technology isn't good or dropping in price, it's that we have two technologies. The older one is still more than adequate and is ALSO improving and dropping in price. So just as SSD gets up to a decent size for a decent price, you find that HDD has just bumped it's size and dropped it's price too. So SSD can't overtake and will always seem the more expensive option.

Battery technology is the biggest hurdle facing mobile technology and there has been no breakthrough to market in the past decade. Plenty of possibilities though, and hopefully one will be viable and be powering phones soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, without a doubt.

Having never been rich enough to use concorde, 7 hours is absolutely fine with me... better than spending weeks on a boat to do the same journey 70+ years ago :D
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've had a laptop with Windows 7 for over four years now, and have had very few single problems with it. Occasionally it'll drop the wifi connection.I open the relevant troubleshooter, and it toddles off and fixes the problem (for some reason it had switched itself off, and the troubleshooter switched it back on again).

I've never in that time had a system crash, nor had a blue screen.

The problem is not that technology disappoints, it's that it progresses too quickly.

I can't keep up!
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Yes, without a doubt.

Concorde was a marvel and it's sad that it's gone and nobody is even considering replacing it. but it was never commercially viable.

there is another angle.

In 1970 nobody could afford to fly.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not had a single system crash since I installed W7 and W8 and had little or no problems with Vista.

I'm far from disappointed with technology, I love it, perhaps its because I'm almost 60 and 53 years ago built a crystal set. Our radio's, tv's were run on valves so I've been fortunate enough to have experienced the vast leaps in technology there has been over the last fifty years. I embrace technology.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've had a laptop with Windows 7 for over four years now, and have had very few single problems with it. Occasionally it'll drop the wifi connection.I open the relevant troubleshooter, and it toddles off and fixes the problem (for some reason it had switched itself off, and the troubleshooter switched it back on again).

I've never in that time had a system crash, nor had a blue screen.

The problem is not that technology disappoints, it's that it progresses too quickly.

I can't keep up!

As far as I'm concerned, technology can progress as fast as it likes. There's tons of things that are ready to be created in the technology world. Technology, especially anything that hooked up to a computer, was always going to progress rapidly once more and more people started getting computers, mainly because of the introduction of high speed internet. As far as I can see, loads of electronic things (that can use it) are now being made with access to the internet. Internet related technology will only continue to rapidly progress until every opportunity for improvement has been exhausted.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you are rather young to be saying what you say.

I'm in my 60s thus have seen immense changes in technology over the last 50+ years.
    Far from being disappointed, I'm incredibly impressed by what has been achieved and is available now.

Just taking one of your points about batteries. That has been a hard slog over decades to improve the chemistry, technology and capacity. Not really one of some 'invention'.

I can remember the days when semiconductor devices started to appear, one device on a 'chip', now there are tens of millions of devices on a 'chip' of the same size, it works and is more reliable.

That is incredible, not a rather miserable 'disappointed'.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Most of the time that is what it does. New hardware you would not expect the Os to find the driver, but for older hardware finding drivers work ok.
    the problem is it is not always just drivers you need, some hardware need other software to work. My scanner for instance need software so the buttons on the front works, my keyboard needs software for the G keys to work correctly.

I have not had a BSO on windows due to driver problems since the early beta on windows 7.

I may knock windows sometimes, but it is a lot more stable than it ever been.

BIB I don't see why not?
    Each bit of hardware should send a code to the OS, and the OS could look that up on an online database to see what it needed to work with it.

I had blue screen crashes with Windows 8 when I first installed it.
    Can't remember exactly why, and I don't get them now on that computer, so must have sorted it out.

But the fact remains that when something goes wrong, the computer user still needs to have a fair amount of knowledge in order to put it right, or have someone they can call up.
    They can't rely on the computer to sort itself out.
    (obviously not applicable to gross hardware errors that prevent the computer working)
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I have been wondering how fast things would be if processors and memory didn't have clock speeds. AMD and Intel could always design their non clock speed processors so that the higher the price, the more instructions it performed. This would remove the heat issue and might mean that we wouldn't need CPU fans anymore. I don't know how exactly this would be achieved though.

and here's me overclocking my cpu's to get more performance - when what I need is 0.0GHz. Seriously though, the mobo clock synchronises data transfer - no clock, no processing.

Anyhow, the limit is not the tech - it's the people using it (at both ends of the process). Give someone an i7 laptop and they'll still watch dancing cat video's. Crank up the power of the phone and they'll just take endless pics of their own face. If everyone had curved 4K OLED TVs, the channels would still be chock full of repeats, X Factor, Kardashians etc.

Intel inside, idiot outside ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    I presume you are rather young to be saying what you say.

Early 20s, I think, going off their other threads...
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Batteries are getting better but phones are also requiring more power of r faster processors/bigger displays etc.

Most phones/laptops/tablets seem to have got quite thin - not sure which ones you mean. You can have a laptop with no fan - you just won't have a powerful processor.

SSDs are starting to take over and a computer can startup instantly if you just put it to sleep.

What do you class as amazing when it comes to internet speeds?

Personally I find technology and the pace of change pretty amazing - 20 years agao the internet barely existed. 30 years aga a ZX Spectrum was about the best you would have at home. 40 years ago you would not have a hope of a computer at home.