Options

Royal Family Cost going up to "£40m" / £106m

brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That right folks, the family that own all the land in the country and worth £330m are rising their royal budget up to £40m per year. Included in these cost is £4m for refurbishments at Kensington Palace so its comfortable and "large" for Harry & Kate, 6 train journeys cost £125,000 and a trip for Prince Charles to Mandela's funeral somehow cost £250,000. Not included in this cost is the huge cost of security a cost the family has kept secret for a long time (estimated at a whopping 46m). Also omitted are the cost to local councils arranging royal visits (estimated to cost £26m).

Isn't it time that this wealthy, non elected, sponging family pay for their own lifestyle. Think what a difference that money would make to a deprived area in Britain, or how much it would save us on interest alone if we just set the budget against the deficit. Don't forget that thanks to the bona vacantia law which means that all estates of duchy residents who die without leaving a will pass to the Queen or Charles, which is another nice earner for the family.

Before the royalists get on their high horse comparing the cost of the royal family to the cost of the USA presidency can I remind you that we are also paying for the cost of parliament, which cost us £391m in 2009 and is expected to have increased since. I also think this is a bit steep. But I wont go into that because this thread is about the needless cost of the royals.

Isn't it time to at last agree that times have changed we no longer need a royal family, to live in a diplomatic society we should have a head of state that is electable. Seeing as the Queen doesn't make any difference to the laws of the land and has no real power any more, other than turning up to prime events such as the Olympics and looking bored out of her mind. It's time to move on!

Comments

• Options
    Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    So how much would that cost taxpayers per day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is there a need to divide costs, we don't divide the cost of education or military to the cost of per "taxpayer" per day.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £0.0017 per day. Although most of that money will be used to pay staff wages who will give a percentage back to the government through various forms of tax so the actual cost is probably quite a bit lower.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was just wondering since I heard the official stats for how much the Royal Family cost us atm had been published. I guess the two news headlines were meant to coincide. Thanks for the links :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I don't mind paying for the government as they are doing a proper job but I resent having to pay for an already rich family to live in the lap of luxury who show up to open a new building or spend 30 minutes with their charity when we are losing jobs in the Armed Forces and NHS, people are being denied lifesaving treatment and NHS staff and other public sector staff are denied pay rises in line with inflation.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I think they should be given more. One billion a week each would be fair. Let's not forget that they can, and more importantly often do, walk in a straight line. I've seen it with my own eyes. Extraordinary individuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    £0.0017 per day. Although most of that money will be used to pay staff wages who will give a percentage back to the government through various forms of tax so the actual cost is probably quite a bit lower.

Its still £40m, a significant amount of money! It doesn't matter what stupid maths formula you use!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering since I heard the official stats for how much the Royal Family cost us atm had been published. I guess the two news headlines were meant to coincide. Thanks for the links :)

No problem, glad to see someone is checking the facts! :)
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    Its still £40m, a significant amount of money! It doesn't matter what stupid maths formula you use!

Well that's a mature response isn't it. Honestly as long as you are not paying the £40m yourself (I mean all of it) then a few pennies isn't really worth all this shenanigans is it?

So What would you do with this £40 as you seem an expert in economics.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    That right folks, the family that own all the land in the country and worth £330m are rising their royal budget up to £40m per year. Included in these cost is £4m for refurbishments at Kensington Palace so its comfortable and "large" for Harry & Kate, 6 train journeys cost £125,000 and a trip for Prince Charles to Mandela's funeral somehow cost £250,000. Not included in this cost is the huge cost of security a cost the family has kept secret for a long time (estimated at a whopping 46m). Also omitted are the cost to local councils arranging royal visits (estimated to cost £26m).

Isn't it time that this wealthy, non elected, sponging family pay for their own lifestyle. Think what a difference that money would make to a deprived area in Britain, or how much it would save us on interest alone if we just set the budget against the deficit. Don't forget that thanks to the bona vacantia law which means that all estates of duchy residents who die without leaving a will pass to the Queen or Charles, which is another nice earner for the family.

Before the royalists get on their high horse comparing the cost of the royal family to the cost of the USA presidency can I remind you that we are also paying for the cost of parliament, which cost us £391m in 2009 and is expected to have increased since. I also think this is a bit steep. But I wont go into that because this thread is about the needless cost of the royals.

Isn't it time to at last agree that times have changed we no longer need a royal family, to live in a diplomatic society we should have a head of state that is electable. Seeing as the Queen doesn't make any difference to the laws of the land and has no real power any more, other than turning up to prime events such as the Olympics and looking bored out of her mind. It's time to move on!

It's a large amount of money taken on its own, however when you compared it to NHS spending, which is over 100 billion a year, it's small change. Even railway projects like the Thameslink Programme and Crossrail are going to cost the government in excess of £20 billion.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The Thameslink Programme, originally Thameslink 2000, is a £6 billion project in south-east England to upgrade and expand the Thameslink rail network to provide new and longer trains between a wider range of stations to the north and to the south of London without requiring passengers to change trains in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thameslink_Programme
    wikipedia wrote:
    The original plan was that the first trains would run from 2017. However, in 2010 a spending review aiming to save over £1 billion of the £15.9 billion projected cost meant that the first trains are now planned to run on the central section in 2018.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail

Even my local council has a budget of £550 million per year.

The same argument used against justifying Royal expenditure (and I'm no supporter of the Royals) was used to discredit the cost of the London Olympics, but in reality was a red herring, as a large chunk of the expenditure was used for transport infrastructure upgrades, still in use to this day, e.g. Victoria Line tube upgrades (brand new trains and signalling), London Overground (brand new trains and infrastructure upgrades), Docklands Light railway (brand new trains and line extension), Javelin Trains (new service and brand new trains). Etc. Besides, the Olympics expenditure was a one off cost and we all know how successful it all was, despite all the nay sayers on DS.

A lot of people on DS dismissed my views at the time, but once again I was proved right. One of the issues being the lack of understanding by many people of transport movements, i.e. most people going to the Olympics would be travelling in the opposite direction to commuters, both in the morning and evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Well that's a mature response isn't it. Honestly as long as you are not paying the £40m yourself (I mean all of it) then a few pennies isn't really worth all this shenanigans is it?

So What would you do with this £40 as you seem an expert in economics.

To clarify its £40m we are talking about, not just £40. As suggested earlier it could help with the deficit of help regenerate a poor area of the country. Why do you think we should fork out £40m on royalty?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry and101, only just saw this! Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's a large amount of money taken on its own, however when you compared it to NHS spending, which is over 100 billion a year, it's small change. Even railway projects like the Thameslink Programme and Crossrail are going to cost the government in excess of £20 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thameslink_Programme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail

Even my local council has a budget of £550 million per year.

The same argument used against justifying Royal expenditure (and I'm no supporter of the Royals) was used to discredit the cost of the London Olympics, but in reality was a red herring, as a large chunk of the expenditure was used for transport infrastructure upgrades, still in use to this day, e.g. Victoria Line tube upgrades (brand new trains and signalling), London Overground (brand new trains and infrastructure upgrades), Docklands Light railway (brand new trains and line extension), Javelin Trains (new service and brand new trains). Etc. Besides, the Olympics expenditure was a one off cost and we all know how successful it all was, despite all the nay sayers on DS.

A lot of people dismissed my views on it at the time, but once again I was proved right.

* Not a thread about the Olympics

I agree with every penny spent on our NHS, schools, transport etc because they are vital to our society. But to see £40m (more like £106m as I've explained before) spent on one of the richest families in the country who are not elected, look down at us and call us subjects is just wrong.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that would be £1.19 a week according to Google.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm perfectly happy to pay money towards our Queen and the future kings. They are a great representation for this country and its what makes us unique. I hope her Maj is still on the throne in another 20 years. No reason she won't live as long as her mother.

People want to count themselves lucky. The last thing we want is a President Michael Gove being head of state. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So that would be £1.19 a week according to Google.

Jesus, what is it with everyone, its still 40 million pounds!!! More like over 100 million pounds! A huge amount of money

NO ONE CAN ANSWER WHY IT IS WORTH PAYING!!!
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I'm perfectly happy to pay money towards our Queen and the future kings. They are a great representation for this country and its what makes us unique. I hope her Maj is still on the throne in another 20 years. No reason she won't live as long as her mother.

People want to count themselves lucky. The last thing we want is a President Michael Gove being head of state. ;-)

But it wouldn't be Michael Gove. It would be a pedophile serial killer who's done time for fraud. Married to Katie Price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you a valid answer at last!!! I respect your difference of opinion.

I agree with you about Mr Gove!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, what is it with everyone, its still 40 million pounds!!! More like over 100 million pounds! A huge amount of money

Why are you getting angry for? I was only giving the answer of how much that amounted to over a week.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TO PAY THE WAGES OF THE 100+ STAFF OF THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD AND THE EXPENSES INVOLVED IN DOING THEIR JOBS, RUNNING THEIR OFFICES AND KEEPING THEM IN GOOD REPAIR.

What did the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Equalities_Office do to justify it's £76m in 2010/11, £65m budget in 2011/12?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    TO PAY THE WAGES OF THE 100+ STAFF OF THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD AND THE EXPENSES INVOLVED IN DOING THEIR JOBS, RUNNING THEIR OFFICES AND KEEPING THEM IN GOOD REPAIR.

What did the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Equalities_Office do to justify it's £65m budget in 2012?

But why is that important when the royal family don't do anything good for society???
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

It probably isn't worth paying, but neither is the huge amount of wastage incurred by government departments and councils.

Governments are generally wasteful with money, whatever they are spending the money on, as it isn't their money.

As the expression goes. In order of getting value for money for any expenditure from best to worst.

When you spend your own money on yourself.

When you spend somebody else's money on yourself.

When you spend your own money on somebody else.

When you spend somebody's else's money on somebody else.

And government expenditure is generally in the last and also worst category.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why is that important when the royal family don't do anything good for society???

Because it is simply another government department with another budget.

The Royal family, or more likely The Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Charles do what is asked of them by government.

One might as well ask what good do pensioners, the unemployed and disabled do for society?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,046
    Forum Member

From what I've read, The Crown Estate brought in £250m this year, the Sovereign Grant saw £37.9m given to the Queen out of that. We could just give her the £250m instead couldn't we?