Options

New version of Android called L out this Autumn

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
The next version of Googles Android OS called L will be out this Autumn but if you want a quick look at the developer preview you can have a look here:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/26/android-developer-preview-hands-on/

Google are keen to stop fragmentation but realistically they have no chance. Punters are still likely to wait several months or even forever for L to be made available for their device.

Comments

• Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't actually be called 'L' - just a name beginning with 'L'. My money's on either Lemon Meringue or Lollipop :D
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    My money's on either Lemon Meringue or Lollipop :D

Lucky Charms is my bet :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't actually be called 'L' - just a name beginning with 'L'. My money's on either Lemon Meringue or Lollipop :D

I suppose it all depends on whether they can get someone to sponsor/co-brand it. Lollipop does seem to be the most likely.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to 'K' ? Or is that combined with Jellybean? Agh sorry forgot about KitKat!
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    What happened to 'K' ? Or is that combined with Jellybean? Agh sorry forgot about KitKat!

schoolboy error
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was supposed to be Key Lime Pie so maybe they have kept the L from Lime? Maybe its Life just to break with tradition?

At any rate it should be 5.0 and looks likely to be 64 Bit:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/android-50-lollipop/19450/android-50-google-launches-new-look-android-l

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-l-release-date-news-and-features-1091500
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The next version of Googles Android OS called L will be out this Autumn but if you want a quick look at the developer preview you can have a look here:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/26/android-developer-preview-hands-on/

Google are keen to stop fragmentation but realistically they have no chance. Punters are still likely to wait several months or even forever for L to be made available for their device.

they've done a lot to help prevent this. like now when a new version has been released devices with the old version can only be certified for an increasingly short amount of time with the old version.

the fragmentation in the sense of the number of people running J and K is not a massive problem. API's tend to be introduced well in advance. it's the 15% of people still running Gingerbread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    they've done a lot to help prevent this. like now when a new version has been released devices with the old version can only be certified for an increasingly short amount of time with the old version.

the fragmentation in the sense of the number of people running J and K is not a massive problem. API's tend to be introduced well in advance. it's the 15% of people still running Gingerbread

Jelly Bean is the most used OS followed by Gingerbread then Ice Cream Sandwich. KitKat was released in October 2013 some 8 months ago which shows just how bad things are!

2.2 Froyo 0.8%
    2.3.3 -2.3.7 Gingerbread 14.9%
    4.0.3 -4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich 12.3%
    4.1.x Jelly Bean 29.0%
    4.2.x 19.1%
    4.3 10.3%
    4.4 KitKat 13.6%

Data collected during a 7-day period ending on June 4, 2014.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jelly Bean is the most used OS followed by Gingerbread then Ice Cream Sandwich. KitKat was released in October 2013 some 8 months ago which shows just how bad things are!

2.2 Froyo 0.8%
    2.3.3 -2.3.7 Gingerbread 14.9%
    4.0.3 -4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich 12.3%
    4.1.x Jelly Bean 29.0%
    4.2.x 19.1%
    4.3 10.3%
    4.4 KitKat 13.6%

Data collected during a 7-day period ending on June 4, 2014.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

You've just gone off and googled the installed base and not thought about what i said.

JB does have the biggest installed base. what is the problem with that? on a practical level? nearly 75% are on the latest two versions.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cannot believe they will have a name with lemon in the title. That is asking for problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've just gone off and googled the installed base and not thought about what i said.

JB does have the biggest installed base. what is the problem with that? on a practical level? nearly 75% are on the latest two versions.

I would imagine the biggest problem is the provision of consistent bug/security fixes.

I still think the main problem is the (in)ability of manufacturer's to roll out the software to their devices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I would imagine the biggest problem is the provision of consistent bug/security fixes.

I still think the main problem is the (in)ability of manufacturer's to roll out the software to their devices.

that is not made harder by the fragmentation though is it. it's made harder by the OEMs being too lazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is not made harder by the fragmentation though is it. it's made harder by the OEMs being too lazy.

I sort of agree. It is the OEMs that cause the fragmentation.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google Play Services, where most of the actual changes take place, is updated every 6 weeks, and according to the keynote yesterday 93% of users are on the latest version.

For example Here's what the latest version includes:
    http://www.anhroidpolice.com/2014/06/25/google-play-services-5-0-is-rolling-out-with-new-security-tools-android-wear-support-and-more/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Google Play Services, where most of the actual changes take place, is updated every 6 weeks, and according to the keynote yesterday 93% of users are on the latest version.

For example Here's what the latest version includes:
    http://www.anhroidpolice.com/2014/06/25/google-play-services-5-0-is-rolling-out-with-new-security-tools-android-wear-support-and-more/

check the link?
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

London Pride - cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    London Pride - cheers

nice.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,965
    Forum Member

Will the Android Silver project not help with this. Bringing some manufacturers into pure android way of thinking and encourage them to take updates quicker on more new devices.

[ from a users point of view, some updates are worth avoiding]
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L, so they did not find anybody yet ready to pay through their nose to have the honour.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Will the Android Silver project not help with this. Bringing some manufacturers into pure android way of thinking and encourage them to take updates quicker on more new devices.

[ from a users point of view, some updates are worth avoiding]

It's not just manufacturers, it's the owners, too. If there are no significant changes in provided functionality/APIs why bother. They need to pick the version that contains most needed features and use it as a standard all apps all OEMs need to support. Kind of like XP was for Windows. Developers will never catch up with this tempo. And they don't have to. I think the fragmentation is a false measure. They should consider how many versions the devices are behind the newest one. That's important IMO, not the absolute version number.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    L, so they did not find anybody yet ready to pay through their nose to have the honour.

it is a bit strange they're not referring to it by name (yet?). Either negotiations with Lion bar/Lucozade are ongoing or maybe they're dropping the sweet theme entirely.

I can imagine from a branding point of view that Lollipop may be considered infantile, liquorice not to everyone's tastes(as well as being hard to spell) and Lemon Meringue Pie a bit long for constantly referring to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not just manufacturers, it's the owners, too. If there are no significant changes in provided functionality/APIs why bother. They need to pick the version that contains most needed features and use it as a standard all apps all OEMs need to support. Kind of like XP was for Windows. Developers will never catch up with this tempo. And they don't have to. I think the fragmentation is a false measure. They should consider how many versions the devices are behind the newest one. That's important IMO, not the absolute version number.

i agree. currently we have about 75% on the last two versions and that is what is important for developers to know.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lobster? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here is where it all goes wrong.

Google release the latest version of OS.

Manufactures say were are only going to update a few of our phones (usually the premium ones only and only for devices that are less than 2 years old). Lengthy wait usually 4 - 6 months sometimes more.

Manufactures then gives it to network operator. This usually involves a lengthy wait while networks do their own customisation if they feel like it so no hurry here either!

Apple have kept on top of this sort of thing.