Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    No doubt but are they interested in paying market value?

Enrique wants to build his own side and that means players will leave.

I know that, but the DNA of Barca is 4-3-3, with wingers making the pitch as big as possible. If they play Neymar, Messi and Suarez in the same way Argentina are doing, with their 3 current forwards, you're asking Iniesta, Rakitic and Busquets to do more defending than they currently do and if it's one thing Barca do horribly, it's defending.

Their best player is Messi - they should be building the team around him. They should be spending their money on world class defenders and a RB.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    They'll be interested in offering what he's worth to them. And we'll be interested in dealing at an amount that's worth it to us. This whole 'market value' thing is stupid.

Bravo who would of thought that.
    I know that, but the DNA of Barca is 4-3-3, with wingers making the pitch as big as possible. If they play Neymar, Messi and Suarez in the same way Argentina are doing, with their 3 current forwards, you're asking Iniesta, Rakitic and Busquets to do more defending than they currently do and if it's one thing Barca do horribly, it's defending.

Their best player is Messi - they should be building the team around him. They should be spending their money on world class defenders and a RB.

Yes but the point remains Barcelona are now in a transitional period where the side that won so much will be broken up.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Of course they still want him, I don't think there's been much doubt there.

For them it's a new start - just like it was for us when he moved from Ajax. It's when he's been here a while and has dragged the club through the mud that you get to the 'enough is enough' stage. And I'm sure Barca or Madrid will reach that point further down the line too, should any other incidents occur.

That post was mainly in response to the number of "football fans" who have droned on for the last couple of days telling us how no one will want him now. He's still obviously a prized asset who would improve any side on the planet. If Barcelona make a serious offer I wonder now if the club will just accept to end this saga.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice to see intelligent debate hasn't disappeared from DS forums. Whoever said this place was going down the pan was clearly wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but the point remains Barcelona are now in a transitional period where the side that won so much will be broken up.

I understand that - just think its crazy for them to replace Pedro and Sanchez with Suarez, when they really should be replacing Pique, Alves and Mascherano, but then, that's been Barca's downfall over the last couple of years, buying players they don't need.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    That post was mainly in response to the number of "football fans" who have droned on for the last couple of days telling us how no one will want him now. He's still obviously a prized asset who would improve any side on the planet. If Barcelona make a serious offer I wonder now if the club will just accept to end this saga.

Can't disagree with any of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see intelligent debate hasn't disappeared from DS forums. Whoever said this place was going down the pan was clearly wrong.

Well you have basically described how any transfer (without a buy out clause) would be.
    I understand that - just think its crazy for them to replace Pedro and Sanchez with Suarez, when they really should be replacing Pique, Alves and Mascherano, but then, that's been Barca's downfall over the last couple of years, buying players they don't need.

Who's to say they wont be. Enrique will get more players.

He wouldn’t of taken the job if he wasn’t assured of that.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While in some ways I feel sorry for someone who clearly has deep-seated psychlogical issues, I'm glad that football takes a different view of thuggery on the field these days and that Suarez has received the punishment he deserves.

OMG, do you actually believe that? Football takes a different view of thuggery on the pitch? Have you been watching the WC? Pretty much every match has an incident of one player having a go at another player, usually in a cynical attempt to gain an advantage (unlike Suarez's bite). FIFA and the football world in general has zero interest in eradicating violent conduct from the field of play. The double standards that have been exhibited over the last 2 days has been breathtaking. In the France v Ecuador game last night a French player (Sakho, ironically) attempted to take an Ecuador player's head off with his elbow at a corner. Anything said or done about that? Not a sausage.

Suarez did wrong, very wrong, and frankly I think for once the punishment FIFA have applied is fair, even the part which impacts Liverpool. Given that he was out for 10 games last year it seems right that it's more this time round, but it's not as severe as many seemed to expect or want. Assuming he's still with us in the autumn he'll still have a big part to play in the PL & CL. I have no issue with any of that. What I cannot abide is the hypocrisy of FIFA and the multitude of fans and commentators lining up to condemn Suarez for this without lifting an eyebrow to the numerous other acts of violent conduct which happen game after game.

The message from FIFA is clear. Biting is a big no-no but headbutting, kicking, stamping, elbowing or punching are all fine as long as the ref doesn't see it.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,965
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    He is allowed to train right. People at my work saying all all football activity.

That would be outrageous as he wouldn't be anywhere near match fit once ban is over.

Not a chance he will be leaving if the ban includes transfer activity. Liverpool won't sell him in January...

It's looking doubtful. Listening to Mickey Quinn on TalkSport and his understanding of it was he wouldn't be allowed into the football club to train and mix with other players.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    OMG, do you actually believe that? Football takes a different view of thuggery on the pitch? Have you been watching the WC? Pretty much every match has an incident of one player having a go at another player, usually in a cynical attempt to gain an advantage (unlike Suarez's bite). FIFA and the football world in general has zero interest in eradicating violent conduct from the field of play. The double standards that have been exhibited over the last 2 days has been breathtaking. In the France v Ecuador game last night a French player (Sakho, ironically) attempted to take an Ecuador player's head off with his elbow at a corner. Anything said or done about that? Not a sausage.

Suarez did wrong, very wrong, and frankly I think for once the punishment FIFA have applied is fair, even the part which impacts Liverpool. Given that he was out for 10 games last year it seems right that it's more this time round, but it's not as severe as many seemed to expect or want. Assuming he's still with us in the autumn he'll still have a big part to play in the PL & CL. I have no issue with any of that. What I cannot abide is the hypocrisy of FIFA and the multitude of fans and commentators lining up to condemn Suarez for this without lifting an eyebrow to the numerous other acts of violent conduct which happen game after game.

The message from FIFA is clear. Biting is a big no-no but headbutting, kicking, stamping, elbowing or punching are all fine as long as the ref doesn't see it.

Great post. Sadly, that last paragraph sums it up. We've seen some very nasty acts at this World Cup. The indifference shown to all but Suarez's is worrying for the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you have basically described how any transfer (without a buy out clause) would be.

Who's to say they wont be. Enrique will get more players.

He wouldn’t of taken the job if he wasn’t assured of that.

True - just hope he gets them playing well again!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not allowed to train. I think that’s absurd.

So Liverpool or any buying club wouldn’t be able have a player train.

Fifa making things up as they go along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »

Yeah a bit like Howard Webb and De Jong's tackle on Alonso, although he actually saw it and only gave a yellow!! And to be fair, we've had some of our players give some really bad tackles over the years - anyone remember Carragher's one on Nani, now that deserved a four month ban - he almost snapped Nani's leg in half.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    It's looking doubtful. Listening to Mickey Quinn on TalkSport and his understanding of it was he wouldn't be allowed into the football club to train and mix with other players.

Urugauay are appealling
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll be interested in offering what he's worth to them. And we'll be interested in dealing at an amount that's worth it to us. This whole 'market value' thing is stupid.

Agree with everything you've said - I just fear that the likes of Barca are going to be reluctant unless they can get him comparatively cheaply.

Say they buy Suarez and sell us Sanchez - with the ban on training it may well be impractical for him to play (at a top performance level) until mid November which means missing almost all the CL group stage.

Would they be happy to be a striker down for such a long period of time?

SkyBet odds have moved massively in the direction of no transfer. Yesterday he was 4/6 to leave; now he is 1/2 to stay.

Finally if he does stay I can't see us buying Sanchez as that surely would not be the most efficient use of resources - ie we surely wouldn't put almost all available net additional resource into the forward line - defence must be the priority.

And we have already bought Lambert - which now looks an absolutely brilliant and indeed vital move!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ian Ayre, chief executive officer, said: "Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment."

Basically saying: we haven't got a clue what's going on at the moment and will wait until FIFA actually sort out the details of what they've just made up.

Uruguay FA will make things worse with their appeal. They should send Suarez home today.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should put Uruguay FA on immediate notice that we will claim damages from them if their appeal leads to a longer ban (which affects us).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Basically saying: we haven't got a clue what's going on at the moment and will wait until FIFA actually sort out the details of what they've just made up.

Uruguay FA will make things worse with their appeal. They should send Suarez home today.

Na I'm glad they did. The hope is Fifa see sense and reduce some aspects. I fully understand the international ban but the club ban and not allowed to train at all is way too harsh.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First reaction from the club.

Liverpool's chief executive officer, Ian Ayre, responded to the suspension by saying: “Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the Fifa Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can just see all the paps now following him everywhere trying to catch him kick a ball....

Hoping they can print "Gotcha Suarez" in one of the joke papers "cough" comics.

Talking about his fitness levels if he is still a Liverpool player for the conceivable future. If I was FSG and Brendon Rodgers I would send him to Boston. Red Sox. They said he is not allowed to play football, enter the club or use it's facilities.

Never said nothing about using the sports equipment, facilities or staff of another sport. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Na I'm glad they did. The hope is Fifa see sense and reduce some aspects. I fully understand the international ban but the club ban and not allowed to train at all is way too harsh.

The problem is the Uruguayans see him as innocent. No acceptance of wrong-doing, no apology, no contrition, no offer to negoiciate and help sort the player out. And they are not interested in how it affects Liverpool.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in two minds really. A lot of opposition fans are saying it's not long enough which then makes me think it's pretty fair. However I don't see why Liverpool are getting punished more than Uruguay and then why Uruguay are the ones to appeal it. Bizarre

I do think it's pretty fair though. Like somebody else has said I wonder if Manchester United will have him for a couple of months? Certainly no football related activities have been going on there for at least a year!
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I'm in two minds really. A lot of opposition fans are saying it's not long enough which then makes me think it's pretty fair. However I don't see why Liverpool are getting punished more than Uruguay and then why Uruguay are the ones to appeal it. Bizarre

I do think it's pretty fair though. Like somebody else has said I wonder if Manchester United will have him for a couple of months? Certainly no football related activities have been going on there for at least a year!

I think squibbles had the best idea, send him to Boston to train, he'll probably come back meaner though :D
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    I can just see all the paps now following him everywhere trying to catch him kick a ball....

Hoping they can print "Gotcha Suarez" in one of the joke papers "cough" comics.

Talking about his fitness levels if he is still a Liverpool player for the conceivable future. If I was FSG and Brendon Rodgers I would send him to Boston. Red Sox. They said he is not allowed to play football, enter the club or use it's facilities.

Never said nothing about using the sports equipment, facilities or staff of another sport. ;)

Genius ;)

It's been suggested elsewhere, but I assume he has a gym at home. All they need to do is install an artificial football pitch in there and jobs a good'un.

That said, he looked alright having barely kicked a ball for a month when he played England.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool didn't have the balls to punt him after the Evra incident. This has come back to bite (sorry) them on the bum.
This discussion has been closed.