Options

Should Dinnerladies Ever Return?

doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it was a fab show! Would love it to return even if it's just for one special.

Your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Unlike other shows, There is no reason it couldn't. Other shows have definitive endings....Dinnerladies wasn't as such.
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could all still be going strong (well most of them) with a few other people saying the same old things. "I fell off a diving board in Guernsy" and "my dad was a desert rat" would be there somewhere. Then they'd be told it was closing down. Cue them tying themselves to the cafe! :D
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They could all still be going strong (well most of them) with a few other people saying the same old things. "I fell off a diving board in Guernsy" and "my dad was a desert rat" would be there somewhere. Then they'd be told it was closing down. Cue them tying themselves to the cafe! :D

I can actually see it now, Not a bad idea there
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, should be left as it is, perfectly formed - not one duff episode.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,032
    Forum Member
    I'd love it for a one-off special, it's such a good series. I'm sure it wouldn't ever happen though.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    What Berty said.

That being said, there probably was a third series in it, but it would have had to have been done at the time. Partially for zeitgiesty reasons, partially for plot reasons, but mostly because Victoria Wood isn't funny any more.

Which is a shame, because it's probably one of the most finely polished, immaculate sitcoms in a long time.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think would depend completely on whether Victoria Wood wanted to write any more and whether the original cast were interested to play their roles again. It could not be written by anyone else and it would be ruined by any more than the odd change in the cast.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Victoria Wood but Dinnerladies just never worked for me. I wouldn't want to see it come back at all.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Unlike other shows, There is no reason it couldn't. Other shows have definitive endings....Dinnerladies wasn't as such.

I loved the show and thought there was more mileage in it, but you couldn't really go back after the last episode. They were already told it was closing; Bren & Tony were moving to Scotland, Dolly retiring to Mobberly, Anita staying at home with the baby and Jean staying on to work in the sandwich bar that would replace the canteen. Only Twinkle didn't have definitive plans. Don't see how it could come back...unless they did a spin-off following Bren & Tony in Scotland!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont get how the guy who Duncan Preston plays is allowed to be so rough with people in the canteen who shouldnt be there. Didnt like his character one bit seemed a bit of a bully who probably would get a assault case against him.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,658
    Forum Member
    No, the 2 series were enough - there was a story arc from beginning to end, and trying to add anything on to it now wouldn't work.

The characters will all be 15 years older now and will have moved on in their lives with Dolly and Jean for example both in retirement.

The magic of Dinnerladies was the entire thing being played in that one canteen set leaving the viewers to imagine the happenings outside of that environment. Without the canteen (which was closing in the last episode) there is no show.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was terrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I loved Dinnerladies, and thought it was perfect, but I'd love to see a one off, maybe hour long special with Bren and Tony in Scotland. It could be celebrating a big birthday, with all the original cast there.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    No, it was terrible.

I thought it was brilliant and as such would hate to see it return. Look at how bad the 'Only fools' and 'Royle Family' return episodes were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave it as a memory..... these re-hashes of old programmes rarely work.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,254
    Forum Member
    Leave it as a memory..... these re-hashes of old programmes rarely work.

I agree, and it would never be the same without Julie Walters, who's character was killed off.

The highlight of the show for me was when the wonderfully awful Petula Gordeno would make her increasingly outrageous entrances. :D
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I agree, and it would never be the same without Julie Walters, who's character was killed off.

The highlight of the show for me was when the wonderfully awful Petula Gordeno would make her increasingly outrageous entrances. :D

The episode where Jeannette Tough aka Wee Jimmy Krankie played Petulas friend was inspired casting
    I agree leave it as it is like Fawlty Towers .But please God if it HAS to be made just don't let Sky do it the frequent ad breaks in The Kumar's ruined it and it looked done on the cheap
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nigel12 wrote: »
    I love Victoria Wood but Dinnerladies just never worked for me. I wouldn't want to see it come back at all.

I don't like Victoria Wood
    at all and hated Dinnerladies.>:(
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria Wood said she'd written dinnerladies for quality rather than quantity; thus the resolution of series 2 was written in episode 1 of series 1.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    There could be a one-off reunion type show. Maybe Bren & Tony finally getting hitched or something. It wouldn't be the same without Petula of course but we'd still have Dolly, Jean (& her hen pecked hubby), Twink, Anita, Stan, one or two of the regular factory workers like her that always wanted "11-rounds-of-white-one-round-of-brown-low-fat-spread". Oh and one of my favourite exras, the pie-man who liked Tony a bit too much, and Judy Garland. He would of course invite himself.

Having said that, the 2 series are perfection. I never ever tire of watching them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't return, the 2 series were enough and it probably couldn't go much further. All the stories were resolved and Julie Walters couldn't return as Petula is dead. The canteen is also closed.

I remember Victoria Wood saying that Dinnerladies wasn't filmed how she intended and that she didn't see it as a 3 wall brightly lit studio based sitcom when she first stated writing it. She wanted it a bit more like The Royal Family or I'm Alan Partridge to give it a realistic edge but the BBC persuaded her to go for the traditional format.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, 2 series were enough I think. The quality never dropped throughout, and I think making more would see the quality drop.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'We can't all swan about ordering toast some of us have personal problems'
    'We all do but we don't bring them to work, I lost 8 tropical fish last week in a power cut :D:D:D:D:D

Fantastic series, I loved every episode but 2 series was a great length and the last episode seemed very final.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It was rubbish.

IMO
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,814
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    'We can't all swan about ordering toast some of us have personal problems'
    'We all do but we don't bring them to work, I lost 8 tropical fish last week in a power cut :D:D:D:D:D

Fantastic series, I loved every episode but 2 series was a great length and the last episode seemed very final.

Clint's mum: 'I've got high blood pressure and fluid retention. Do you know what that gives you?'
    Bren: "Boiling water?':D