Options

Good Morning Britain betting odds slashed....

i4ui4u Posts: 55,044
Forum Member
I read bookies have slashed the odds for this GMB surviving on its diet of celeb gossip & competitions.

Caught some of this today, what utter bilge and the falseness of the presenters is their for all to see like Ryan Clarks teeth. I wonder if BetFair have considered sponsoring the programme and giving the odds for its survival at each break.
Bookmaker Coral has slashed the odds on Good Morning Britain getting axed this year into 3-1 from 20-1, as ratings continue to slump.

And on top of this, Reid is 12-1 from 16-1 to get sacked, while Lorraine Kelly is 10-1 to replace her and Aled Jones is 14-1 to re-join the line-up.

"The future of Good Morning Britain is looking increasingly uncertain, leading to a betting frenzy on ITV pulling the plug," said Coral's Nicola McGeady.

Comments

• Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calling ftv, there is a GMB thread you haven't yet contributed in.

I can't see any of those situations happening, at least not this year. The bookmakers would make a lot of money taking those bets, assuming anyone in real life would actually care in the first place
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Express article is over 3 weeks old (it's from 2nd June). Why start a thread about it on 25 June?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorraine and Aled won't be called back, they hardly set the world on fire with Daybreak did they?

I still think ITV may as well give up on breakfast. Lobby Ofcom to cave in like they always do and show a diet of ITV 2 repeats in that slot. It couldn't do any worse.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should seek out a Johnny Vaughn type to present it, someone with an actual personality.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    They should seek out a Johnny Vaughn type to present it, someone with an actual personality.

There’s often talk of them taking a different approach at breakfast and going for a more ‘Big Breakfast’ light entertainment style show instead of the news/showbiz format they’ve been using for years, and losing to the BBC with for years.
    However there are a few problems with this, first I’m fairly sure it would require Ofcom’s authorisation to move away from a news format, and secondly multiple attempts have been made to make a ‘Big Breakfast’ style show and they’ve all failed. I’m not sure it’s success can be recreated.

To be honest, such a move would be a huge risk for ITV, but maybe it might be their saviour. As has been said, their current constant revamp of a news/showbiz format just isn’t working.

Channel 4 must be very happy right now watching ITV put more and more money into breakfast for it to continuously fail. They get fairly decent ratings, all for the low cost of some US sitcom repeats.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calling ftv, there is a GMB thread you haven't yet contributed in.

Kind of you to remember me Andy but in the real world some of us have to work.GMB will end in tears sometime next year and ITV will replace it with omnibus editions of their soaps after taking senior OFCOM suits out for a jolly good lunch and convincing them there is no need for a news-type breakfast show on ITV as there are ample alternatives on other channels, particularly the BBC.
  • Options
    dallardicedallardice Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    I read bookies have slashed the odds for this GMB surviving on its diet of celeb gossip & competitions.
    Bookmaker Coral has slashed the odds on Good Morning Britain getting axed

So have they slashed the odds on the programme surviving, or on the programme being axed? These two statements are contradictory.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMB has only been on for two months. Way too early to call for it to be ditched. Besides what would ITV show in its place. There are a few issues about content being celeb and competition heavy. I would give it til christmas then start to think of life post GMB and what would be on between 0600 AND 0925 should ITV cut its losses
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont seek to defend ITV here, but Daybreak just dragged on, and on and on, GMB will drag on even longer, even if GMB was to be axed, it will only be replaced by exactly the same thing again, its been that way for decades really.
  • Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha i was thinking exactly the same thing Charnham. in 30 years Llorraine will still be telling the nations air-headed, busy, single mums what summer styles are 'in' followed by some breaking news about a breakthrough NEW 2minute super diet that all the anorexic hollywood drug addicts swear by.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I dont seek to defend ITV here, but Daybreak just dragged on, and on and on, GMB will drag on even longer, even if GMB was to be axed, it will only be replaced by exactly the same thing again, its been that way for decades really.

It will always be the same as long as they target hassled mums. After all, they're bringing in the audience...
  • Options
    david04121980david04121980 Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lorraine and her time in the morning should go as that reminds people of the past. Also less competitions, showbiz, more of a straight jacket show.

on another note I remember TVam or GMTV done shows outside in the summer. I think that would be great if they did something similar?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I could see them eventually bringing back GMTV with Ben Shepherd and Kate Garraway (as they're already on GMB) but it wouldn't achieve anything.

I can't see any of the presenters being sacked either, Susanna was on BBC Breakfast, Kate & Ben were on GMTV and Charlotte on Sunrise. All have been successful and if any presenter combination can make a breakfast show work, this is it.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, doesn't the OP mean the odds have been lengthened?:confused:
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    It will always be the same as long as they target hassled mums. After all, they're bringing in the audience...
    that was a pathetic statement.

Bringing back the GMTV brand does seem like the answer to at least stop the bleeding, but in reality its would be way too much of a backward step for ITV, a total humiliation, for them, which would effect how people view the channel over all.

I dont know what else ITV can air in that slot, C5 has kids TV, BBC has the successful Breakfast, and C4 repeats US sitcoms, something ITV would not get away with.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

Although the dip in ratings since GMB took over suggests that they are not bringing in as many of those hassled mums as they did previously under Daybreak.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    I can't see any of the presenters being sacked either, Susanna was on BBC Breakfast, Kate & Ben were on GMTV and Charlotte on Sunrise. All have been successful and if any presenter combination can make a breakfast show work, this is it.
    As we've said all along, it's not the presenters that make a show successful, it's the content and how that content is presented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As we've said all along, it's not the presenters that make a show successful, it's the content and how that content is presented.

Very true but the producers of the programme don't seem to be listening.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be great if they poached Andrew Marr and Sophie Raworth and just did a really serious current affairs and arts morning show. Of course everyone that would watch that show will be at work though :-D
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    that was a pathetic statement.

Bringing back the GMTV brand does seem like the answer to at least stop the bleeding, but in reality its would be way too much of a backward step for ITV, a total humiliation, for them, which would effect how people view the channel over all.

I dont know what else ITV can air in that slot, C5 has kids TV, BBC has the successful Breakfast, and C4 repeats US sitcoms, something ITV would not get away with.

Pathetic? When thats what they're doing?

Bringing GMTV back, now that's pathetic.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I strongly believe that it was the political agenda of the late eighties that led to tv am losing its licence that has led to ITV not knowing what direction to take with breakfast tv. TV am was a winning format albeit after a shaky start in 1983. Going off track but was it really necessary to have breakfast tv in the first place. We seemed to manage before 1983
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    I strongly believe that it was the political agenda of the late eighties that led to tv am losing its licence that has led to ITV not knowing what direction to take with breakfast tv. TV am was a winning format albeit after a shaky start in 1983. Going off track but was it really necessary to have breakfast tv in the first place. We seemed to manage before 1983

It meant another three hours of airtime a day where ITV could place advertising, nothing wrong with that as it is a commercial organisation. The US had had breakfast TV since NBC's Today began in 1952 for the same reason. One of the early co-presenters was a chimpanzee called Fred J. Muggs - GMB producers please note.The BBC mounted a breakfast news programme in 1982 during the Falklands War and there were a number of other experiments including televising a BBC Radio Scotland breakfast programme and YTV providing a breakfast version of Calendar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    That Express article is over 3 weeks old (it's from 2nd June). Why start a thread about it on 25 June?.
    I guess the Express was prt of a bundle with his fish'n chips!
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    I've flicked across to GMB a couple of times
    the problem I have with the programme is the advert interruptions.
    Yes the BBC repeat stuff over and over but that is the nature of the programme as people drop in and out at that time of the day.
    At this time of the day the TV is on in the background for the latest over night news and weather while breakfast is being made,washing/shaving and generaly getting set for the day ahead.
    I don't really take any notice of who is presenting from the sofa.........
    Regards