Options

Big Brother is dying, and it deserves to die

gratuitousgratuitous Posts: 1,171
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BB is probably several years past its use by date already, and the problem is simple:

There is no one left willing or able to do the show properly.

Everything that once made the show great has been trashed and replaced with silly twists and catering to the lowest common denominator. Even the participants selection has been replaced by an agent dominated casting process.

I haven't watched all of this series, but enough to see the decline continue and enter its terminal phase. So we should say RIP BB, for now at least, and maybe some day there will be a revival and a new enthusiasm for producing the program the way it was supposed to be.

Comments

• Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP :( it's just not the show I once loved anymore. Sick of these incompetent producers!!>:(
  • Options
    ZadethZadeth Posts: 5,450
    Forum Member
    Look at EastEnders, it had a dire time under Brian Kirkwood and Lorraine Newman, but now DTC has come in and it's refreshed it. Perhaps Viacom can grant us the salvation we seek.
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is still life in the old dog yet
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    gratuitous wrote: »
    BB is probably several years past its use by date already, and the problem is simple:

Everything that once made the show great has been trashed and replaced with silly twists and catering to the lowest common denominator. Even the participants selection has been replaced by an agent dominated casting process.

I haven't watched all of this series, but enough to see the decline continue and enter its terminal phase. So we should say RIP BB, for now at least, and maybe some day there will be a revival and a new enthusiasm for producing the program the way it was supposed to be.

This gets a tip of the hat from me. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree OP, BB is finished . What they have now is a farce .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    adamski94 wrote: »
    There is still life in the old dog yet

Give it a poke, then; see if it moves.
  • Options
    emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy it lol. No one is making anyone watch it. I agree it's not as good as it once was but I do find it entertaining.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show wouldn't be on air now if it hadn't of evolved.
  • Options
    Skip65Skip65 Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on op, they pick people now just for confrontation. I loved it for the tasks they used to do and the laughs from it. Now it's just fighting ,slagging each other of .
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's what it's evolved INTO that's the problem.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member

Whilst I agree that the show has to evolve - it really has taken the wrong direction. Constant manipulation, inteference and meddling - leading to aggression, fights and general tawdriness has ruined what was once a great show.

Anger and fighting all the time isn't necessary - we all used to love a bit of tension and the occasional spat but the fun and laughter was what made it great IMO.

And .....................I like 'proper' housemates - not semi pros.
  • Options
    freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree...this is the first season since BB4 that I haven't watched...
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No press articles have said they are going to cancel it are they?
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member

Its taken too much of the TOWIE, made in Chelsea and geordie shore road of how to be and the fact there's no live feed is a total pisstake. :( >:(
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have story editors now and a lot of the voters are not playing ball
  • Options
    027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its weird. They went so many steps forward with BB14. A series that was more balanced between fun and drama, more down to earth housemates, increased live feed and hype etc. A bit twist heavy, but the series was very well received for all of these things. CBB13 as well. Then BB15 comes in and we're back to the misery that made BB13 so unpopular towards the end. Really don't know what happened there.

BB COULD be thriving under the right management because it is successful enough for C5. But things always go back to the same old shit for some reason. Hopefully someone can break the show out of that cycle.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I could sort the show out ;)

Sure people might not like my idea of constant vote to SAVE in place, the culling of the crowd, proper open auditions, NO outside contact and a maximum of 2 'twists' per series. But I would say F them, because I would make the show a success ;)

Its currently run by monkeys let's face it
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest problem is the "making it up as they go along" issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem is the show DID evolve. The it de-evolved again. BB14 was like the fresh take the show needed and it was generally very well received. But then all the good will built up during BB14 / CBB13 was erased with this series, which is back to misery and conflict driven BB rather than more of a mix like those series mentioned. C5 need to take note of what actually works and stick with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats, we haven't had this very same thread for a least the past 14 hours
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    027huds wrote: »
    The problem is the show DID evolve. The it de-evolved again. BB14 was like the fresh take the show needed and it was generally very well received. But then all the good will built up during BB14 / CBB13 was erased with this series, which is back to misery and conflict driven BB rather than more of a mix like those series mentioned. C5 need to take note of what actually works and stick with it.

Trouble is channel 5 as Richard Desmond sold em off are having to do everything themselves which means bb has effectively come a cropper. :(
  • Options
    gratuitousgratuitous Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    027huds wrote: »
    Its weird. They went so many steps forward with BB14. A series that was more balanced between fun and drama, more down to earth housemates, increased live feed and hype etc. A bit twist heavy, but the series was very well received for all of these things. CBB13 as well. Then BB15 comes in and we're back to the misery that made BB13 so unpopular towards the end. Really don't know what happened there.

BB COULD be thriving under the right management because it is successful enough for C5. But things always go back to the same old shit for some reason. Hopefully someone can break the show out of that cycle.

I think they got lucky last year in that there were a couple of genuinely interesting characters who could thrive, but even so, imo it was part of the lazy wrong-headed decline which has continued this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they got lucky last year in that there were a couple of genuinely interesting characters who could thrive, but even so, imo it was part of the lazy wrong-headed decline which has continued this year.

I wouldn't say last year was lazy at all. I think they did quite a lot to try and inject life back into the show and on some levels it worked. Of course it wasn't perfect, but these things need to be a work in progress.

1. Giving the season a theme and subtitle was a good idea to drum up publicity and signify the show was going to be different.
    2. The split launch was a new idea and another good idea to try and stop the immediate decline from happening.
    3. The housemate selection seemed to be of better quality. A lot more subtle characters that reveal their layers as the series goes on. For example, people like Callum and Charlie seem plain on first look. But they were interesting housemates to follow in a way the immediate shouty gobby types aren't. Those types always burn out.
    4. The introduction of the few hours of nightly live feed helped drum up hype as well and helped in situations like Daley-gate.

The series was very twist heavy, but I feel like that didn't matter as much because the house was interesting enough to sustain itself despite this and the boot order was pretty spot on as well.

This year it feels like they just came up with a new title, added in the power housemate thing and then just repeated last year but with nastier people and even more twists. This year definetely feels lazy production-wise.
  • Options
    CupidStunt2010CupidStunt2010 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated BB14
  • Options
    General BounceGeneral Bounce Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Doesn't BB always do this though? We have one series which thrives off negativity, followed by one which is more balanced, then back to the negativity again. What killed it off first time round was C4 running scared from what makes the show popular after the Jade Goody "racism" incident. They only grew some balls again once it was already dead.

After a couple of duff seasons in its first 2 years on C5, the channel revitalised the show by going back to what makes it popular with BB13 (albeit by doing it on a budget).

I agree this series is far too negative at the moment, but I can't see the show going anywhere just yet.