Options

Disposable incomes rise for the poorest fifth of households

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
Forum Member
According to the Office for National Statistics...
The figures also show middle class families have seen the steepest fall in living standards since the financial crisis.

The wealthiest fifth of households have seen their disposable income fall by 5.2 per cent since 2007, while for the poorest fifth it has risen by 3.5 per cent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/10929370/More-than-half-of-homes-take-more-than-they-contribute.html

Which contradicts everything Labour has said about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because the Labour Party are congenital liars, IMO
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    How do Labour explain that one then.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you remove the Libdem tax threshold deal-stopper that Cameron said was not possible and not affordable from the figures, and then we'll talk again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle class families seeing the steepest fall isn't too surprising considering that the aim of this government has been to create a bigger underclass, smaller middle and a few remaining wealthy they continue to serve.

Does the article go on to explain why every week three new food banks are opening when disposable incomes for the poor are apparently rising, or can we expect these figures to be revised in the near future? it does happen quite often.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/surprise-surprise-real-wages-have-gone-nowhere-people-should-have-listened-to-the-real-experts-9538549.html
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D:D:D

...and we're up and running....
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can poor people have disposable incomes ?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    the important point in this is disposable income, remember this is whats left after paying all bills folks

the top 20% wealthiest households would hardly notice a drop of 5%

the poorest 20% will have so little disposable income after paying bills that an increase of 3% probably amounts to a couple of pound a month if anything

not really sure how the ONS can say this impacts the middle classes as well as surely by definition the middle classes are not part of the top 20% or the bottom 20% ?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOT PAYING INCOME TAX isn't good enough .....
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Can you remove the Libdem tax threshold deal-stopper that Cameron said was not possible and not affordable from the figures, and then we'll talk again.

Well that's a bit silly isn't it. Removing Government Policies so you get a result to match your views on the current Government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Well that's a bit silly isn't it. Removing Government Policies so you get a result to match your views on the current Government.

I didn't mention the current govt. Other posters are bringing Labour into the discussion.
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the purpose of this thread was not to thank the Libdems for the tax free £10k + ??
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    According to the Office for National Statistics...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/10929370/More-than-half-of-homes-take-more-than-they-contribute.html

Which contradicts everything Labour has said about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Maybe not,

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/27/top-lowest-earners-inequality-ons

Britain's top earners have pulled away from all other income groups, with the top 20% of households increasing their disposable incomes last year while all others fell.
    The top fifth of earners saw their annual disposable income rise by £940, while the bottom fifth lost £381 and all other groups lost around £250.
    Figures from the ONS covering the six years to 2013 show the richest fifth of households saw a 5.2% drop in income and the average income for the poorest fifth grew by 3.5%.
    But most of the drop in top pay over the six years came from a collapse in bonuses early in the last recession, when a sharp rise in tax credit and other benefit payments protected the incomes of the poorest.

However, the better than expected mean average figures shown by the ONS for all households, especially for the low paid, is skewed by the over 65s, who are the biggest winners over the six years from 2007/8 to 2012/13.
    The average disposable incomes of retired households has jumped 7.9% in real terms, or £1,700, since 2007/08 and the largest rise – 14% – was among the bottom fifth.
    This provides much of the boost to the average for all low income households.
    To emphasise the point, the ONS figures show that excluding retired households, disposable incomes fell overall by 6.3% on average, or £2,100, much further han the £1,200 fall for all households. The bottom fifth of non-retired households saw a 2% fall in incomes in contrast to the 3.5% rise.

It needs to be remembered that the top 20% of income earners starts just below $70,000 p.a. How well the top 1%, or top 5%, have done in recent years would be interesting.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the bottom 5th and can't see any increase in my disposable income - just the opposite in fact and I've had to cut things out due to the increase in outgoings on food, utility bills etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can the poor see a rise in disposable income when for the last few years, benefits and wages have lagged inflation and energy has risen well above inflation?

I can't believe it's all down to the increase in tax thresholds, that is a few hundred per year and essentials such as housing, energy and even food has risen steadily. :confused:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, 96.5% of sod all is still considerably less than 94.8% of a reasonable amount.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

why? do that and we are talking about a hypothetical situation, rather than real figures. or do you want to do that to suit your argument?
    I didn't mention the current govt. Other posters are bringing Labour into the discussion.
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the purpose of this thread was not to thank the Libdems for the tax free £10k + ??

yes you are mistaken. are you not happy re the OP figures?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes you are mistaken. are you not happy re the OP figures?

It is a good thing that the poorest, on the lowest incomes, have been given a small cushion against the effects of austerity. Period. A Good Thing. If you wish we can discuss the reality of that small improvement.

After that we move on to Politics. We can't avoid that - the GE is a few months away.

The credit for this small cushion must be given to the party responsible. But there are two aspects to this. One positive, one negative.
    Nick Clegg is going to tell us, at every opportunity that it was a LibDem Policy to take millions of poor people out of Income Tax. Each time he tells us this, it will be a reminder that David Cameron told us that the policy is unaffordable and not possible. We will all then ponder what the impact would have been on the poorest, under Tory policy as opposed to Coalition policy.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the over 65s (in the poorest group) that have seen such a large increase that the average is made significantly higher than it otherwise would be.

Strip out this over-65 group and people in the "poorest fifth" are of course doing very badly.

In other words the reality is exactly what we would expect, poorer pensioners have been more protected by this government while the rest of the poor have been dumped on.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/27/top-lowest-earners-inequality-ons
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I'm in the bottom 5th and can't see any increase in my disposable income - just the opposite in fact and I've had to cut things out due to the increase in outgoings on food, utility bills etc.

Probably do you good to cut down on food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The average disposable incomes of retired households has jumped 7.9% in real terms, or £1,700, since 2007/08 and the largest rise – 14% – was among the bottom fifth.

To emphasise the point, the ONS figures show that excluding retired households, disposable incomes fell overall by 6.3% on average, or £2,100, much further han the £1,200 fall for all households. The bottom fifth of non-retired households saw a 2% fall in incomes in contrast to the 3.5% rise.

So poorer pensioners ring-fenced, poorer-everyone-else are not. And everyone else is down, not up.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe some on here. Do they not realise the amount of money the wealthiest earn, and how little the poorest do?

Averages.

Pah.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real stories here are the disappearing middle classes and the fact that working families still have to take more from the public purse than they contribute.

I don't see the current government (or the opposition, for that matter) being able to resolve that any time soon.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again with percentages,
    OK Mr multi Millionaire how about we do a swap?
    I will swap you 100% of everything in my bank account for 0.2% of what's in yours, come ON that's a fantastic deal I am sure you would agree, after all 'apparently' I have more 'disposable income' than you and apparently MY 'disposable income' has grown and is growing faster than yours, you would be crazy to turn down my offer,
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    As most of the welfare cuts for working age people are taking effect after 2012/13 then I suspect that the figures will be very different by the time we get to 2014/15. Also, I see that the comparison is from 2007. It would be interesting to see how they would differ if we started from 2010.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because the Labour Party are congenital liars, IMO
    So are the Tories only it's not my opinion it's a fact.
    1/ " genuine cases have nothing to fear"

2/ "we are ALL in this together"

3/ "we support those who work hard and try to do the right thing,

1/ the evidence quite clearly shows that genuine cases certainly DO have everything to fear,

2/ yeah right, said just before the top earners got given a huge income boost while the poor got another kicking,

3/ the biggest LIE of all, if holding the in work benefits for hundreds of thousands of low paid "hard workers" to below inflation rises for three years (a pay cut in real terms) not to mention on top of that there are scores of thousands of low paid "hard workers" who have not only had a Tory imposed 3 year pay cut but they are also guilty of spare room crime and have had another chunk of their income removed,

is an example of Tory "support" then they can shove it up their Osborne.

More Tory lies? oh there are plenty more,
    Far more shocking is the spectacle of Cameron and Osborne's unabashed, barefaced and premeditated mendacity. Begin with the great broad questions about which they so reassured voters. Three days before the election, Cameron said on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, "any cabinet minister … who comes to me and says 'Here are my plans' and they involve frontline reductions, they'll be sent straight back to their department to go away and think again". Yet £81bn in cuts now rain down on frontline services.

Would VAT rise? A month before the election, Cameron said: "Our plans involve cutting wasteful spending … our plans don't involve an increase in VAT."

As for the NHS, "We will stop top-down reorganisations of the NHS," said the coalition agreement,

The coalition promise that "we will guarantee that health spending increases in real terms" has gone the same way.

Two months before the election, Cameron eulogised universal child benefit: "I wouldn't change child benefit, I wouldn't means test it, I don't think that's a good idea.

On education maintenance allowances, Michael Gove said, just before the election: "Ed Balls keeps saying that we are committed to scrapping EMA. I have never said this. We won't."

On tax credits, the promise was to cut them only for families on £50,000, but the budget book shows families with an income of just £30,000 lose all credits.

Liam Fox promised "a bigger army for a safer Britain", but it now loses 7,000 soldiers.

Never mind what you think about all these promises – some are more honoured in the breach than in the observance – but such breaking faith with voters is breathtaking. The list is long – prison for anyone carrying a knife; no cuts to the navy; keeping the child trust fund for the poorest third of families; no hospital closures; 3,000 more midwives; a two-year council tax freeze – and more. Bluster about bank bonuses, wellbeing, going green and family-friendly government were all deceptive conceits too.

But all politicians lie, don't they? No, in 1997 Labour was so terrified of breaking pledges that it stuck painfully and needlessly for two years to Tory spending plans and kept to policies that the former chancellor Ken Clarke laughingly said he never had any intention of following.
    Labour MPs were driven through the lobby in tears to cut single parents' benefits. Jack Straw carried out Michael Howard's two strikes and you're out "prison works" act. Every Labour manifesto promised no income tax rises, and only in its very last month after the worst crisis since 1926 did Labour finally raise it for top earners. Here were promises that would certainly have been more honoured in the breach – but Labour, facing a mostly hostile press, never felt it had the leeway for the slipperiness afforded to Conservatives.

There was indeed Labour dishonesty, from Brown's hubristic "no return to boom and bust" to the greatest deceit of them all – Blair's 45-minute frightener and the dodgy dossier taking us to war in Iraq. But there was care about election promises.

Source,
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/jan/07/politicians-lie-david-cameron-mendacity-expenses

Labour are indeed guilty of telling lies, but the Tories are the masters at it,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real stories here are the disappearing middle classes and the fact that working families still have to take more from the public purse than they contribute.

I don't see the current government (or the opposition, for that matter) being able to resolve that any time soon.

"....working families still have to take more from the public purse than they contribute. "

That isn't possible, since the entire wealth of the nation is derived from people doing the work.

You perhaps mean contribute in income tax. But income tax is just one small part of what people contribute from their work. When a person works for a company that company derives benefit from that work as well, a far greater benefit in fact.

You cannot compare a persons wage with their "contribution". Wages rarely reflect anything like a persons real contribution.