Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    They might of taken the piss out of Steve for giving him useless presents, but imagine if he did the same to Michelle? There would be hell to pay and he and he would be expected to buy something really expensive for her and she would still be miserable. I know it was meant to be funny but was Lloyd really that thick to give Steve empty CD cases?

No, he isn't and it's a good job it was Lloyd and Steve, they are the only characters that could have carried that scene off ...... just about.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,324
    Forum Member
    I personally have never heard that name. I thought it was common knowledge that Kal had a daughter.

Maybe I've just missed loads!

No you could well be right - just my impressions :)

I work at a school and we have so many Aliyas we have to call them Aliya B, Aliya K etc - I appreciate the name won't be so familiar to everyone.

Just catching up, and it seems very unlikely that Kylie would storm round to Roy's and hammer on the door because there was glue on the carpet. :confused:
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Aliya is quite a common name, and Gary might not have known Kal even had a daughter. They don't seem that close.
    k9fan wrote: »
    I thought that they were in the army together.
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    They were - and that's how he was introduced to the programme - but I think we're meant to forget that.

When Kal's daughter said to Gary in the gym that he looked familiar Kal said that she probably saw Gary in some of his old army photos.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    Michelle sitting in the back of Steve's cab stating that she would support him whatever he does to improve himself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this "support" include ridiculing him and sniggering at him with Liz?

And also in the cab, Steve said 'everything important in my life is in this cab' (or words to that effect). Has he forgotten Amy then?! Or is his only child (and his own mother, actually!) further down the pecking order than his bullying nag of a girlfriend?
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve got slippers and a coffee table for his 40th birthday! As someone else mentioned imagine the look from Michelle if he got her something like that!

The producers have forgotten the living room Steve shared with Becky. You never see him anywhere but the back room of the pub with Michelle.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve got slippers and a coffee table for his 40th birthday! As someone else mentioned imagine the look from Michelle if he got her something like that!

The producers have forgotten the living room Steve shared with Becky. You never see him anywhere but the back room of the pub with Michelle.

Even if he bought her diamonds, a holiday in the Maldives and filled a bath with Champagne she'd still glare at him, flick her hair - and all while rolling her over made up eyes and folding her arms!
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve got slippers and a coffee table for his 40th birthday! As someone else mentioned imagine the look from Michelle if he got her something like that!.

As I said above, I reckon this was a "joke presents" to make him think that this was all he was getting, and then surprise him with his "real" big present - which was a party he didn't want in a backstreet pub, which he also happens to own! :D
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it was meant to be funny but was Lloyd really that thick to give Steve empty CD cases?

Embarassingly, I did similar! We sold a Wii game on eBay just before one Christmas, and I wrapped and sent the box without checking it actually had the disc in it! :blush: To make it worse, the buyer gave it to their young child as a Christmas present and also didn't check the disc was in before they wrapped it! :( Needless to say I sent the disc ASAP and refunded their money :D

Showed how often we used the Wii - which we also sold shortly afterwards!
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it quite odd, there was no mention of his twin either or did I miss it?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I found it quite odd, there was no mention of his twin either or did I miss it?

You did miss it. He was briefly mentioned when Steve reminded Liz to ring him later
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    You did miss it. He was briefly mentioned when Steve reminded Liz to ring him later

At least someone rememebered!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie Armstrong has now turned supersleuth. She now notices what others don't but just to make sure we notice she makes it so obvious with her facial expressions.

Katie Armstrong. Isn't she the woman who cheated on Chesney? Yes, she regrets it. Boo hoo. But it doesn't give her the right to sit in judgement of Anna & Gary which she no doubt will. Anna and Gary didn't treat Katie like a slapper did they?

Steve's 40th. Is that the best they could do? Leftovers from the banquet of delicious food from Tina's funeral?!!! ;-) What a wonderful woman Michelle is offering her support when earlier she had been smirking in the bar with the rest of them over the hilarious, side-splitting Lloyd's 'present' scene. And she only bought Steve a coffee table which she wanted herself! Is it any wonder Steve was peed off?!
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOR ...that there is one woman who would find Gary desirable, let alone two
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria's back next week, wonder if she got fined for taking Liam out of school in term time

noticed on the new set the side windows on the rovers are finally in the right place, quite why it was so hard to put them in the right place (either side of the chimney, not either side of the "kitchen" door) on the old set is quite beyond me
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »

Well, that one in particular who was far too good-looking and classy to carry on the way she did! *rolleyes*
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    Maria's back next week, wonder if she got fined for taking Liam out of school in term time

She probably went to the same hotel we've just come back from. Absolutely full of school age kids so that system is working well.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That scene in the gym wasn't at all contrived, was it? :D

Kal's daughter pays her first visit when ...

Katie happens to be on shift (complete with her new Inspector Clouseau expression)

Gary happens to be completing an odd job (I'm still wondering why he's doing jobs at the gym when Jason is the more likely - though Jason doesn't seem bothered, having lent Gary tools to do the work!)

Izzie zooms in with Joseph in his usual precarious position on her lap *

Cue one of Gary's two acting expressions - either looking vacantly down or in the air.

* BTW. I didn't noticed whether she used the new ramp this time. Last time she looked distinctly surprised when she reached the bottom - as if she'd gone a little faster than expected. (which is unusual, given that she usually rockets into a scene as if fired from a catapult!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam is five on Tuesday (born July 1st 2009 ) so would be in reception yet we hear of him being picked up from nursery, have they forgot how old he is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably went to the same hotel we've just come back from. Absolutely full of school age kids so that system is working well.

I hate that system and I dont even have kids, I hear parents now budget the fine into the holiday and go when it's convenient to them, like when their boss gives them the time off, good on them

anyway how old is kia meant to be cause he looks too young to have a child of alyias age
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »

Who wouldn't want to feast on Gary's ass?! It puts Max Branning's to shame:D
    No wonder those two were interested in him.

Anyway, I found it a real SOR that those two girls in the nightclub wouldn't take offence to neanderthal Jason referring to them as "birds" right in front of their faces.
    Or is this an acceptable way of addressing females in the uk?:confused:
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Kal's family will observe Ramadan. I know they are a "moderate" Muslim family, but Blackburn makes a big deal about them being the first and religious observances tend to get swept under the carpet in soaps.

I have complete faith* the writers will surely have done their research -- not like it happens spontaneously. Which means no nookie with Leanne for a month. Otherwise it'll look bad on their part as you saw with the Masoods on EE last year.

*I have no such faith. :p
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Who wouldn't want to feast on Gary's ass?! It puts Max Branning's to shame:D
    No wonder those two were interested in him.

Anyway, I found it a real SOR that those two girls in the nightclub wouldn't take offence to neanderthal Jason referring to them as "birds" right in front of their faces.
    Or is this an acceptable way of addressing females in the uk?:confused:

I'm surprised that soaps still insist on using this term as I haven't heard it been used in over 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it is a total SOR that Leanne would continue to live in Weatherfield, where everyone knows about her dodgy past. I expect the drug addiction and prostitution tales will get another airing soon as Leanne gets to know Kal's family. She is pretty respectable now so it would make sense for her to get far away from Weatherfield, so there wouldn't always be the possibility of her past mistakes coming back to haunt her.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget arson to defraud the insurance company and theft of the factory girls winnings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget arson to defraud the insurance company and theft of the factory girls winnings.

I had forgotten them! Thanks for the reminder :)
This discussion has been closed.