Options

Mr Sloane - Sky Atlantic - Fridays 9pm

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Watched the first episode of this new "bittersweet comedy" series on demand starring Nick Frost, Olivia Colman and Peter Serafinowicz which starts on Friday and it was pretty good. Not laugh out loud funny but some funny scenes. The attention to period detail was amazing. Especially the scenes on the tube.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Seen clips and trailers and it didn't really interest me.

Can't believe they trotted out the pregnant faux pas <rolleyes>

Off topic but I saw an early appearance of Robbie Coltrane the other night, infact it may have been his first tv role, and I really thought that Frost looked and acted, had the same mannerisms as him.
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it - being of a certain vintage I enjoyed the well observed 60's recreation. Anything with Nick Frost, Olivia Coleman and a Gilbert & Sullivan soundtrack has gotto be promising !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it - being of a certain vintage I enjoyed the well observed 60's recreation. Anything with Nick Frost, Olivia Coleman and a Gilbert & Sullivan soundtrack has gotto be promising !

Yes it's well written and well observed. Enough to keep me watching also.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought episode 2 was so funny.That scene at the end with the old guy reading the card had me laughing out loud.Loved it.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I was put off this by the lame pregnancy/fat joke being the one they chose to push as a reason to watch. You show your best to get people hooked, If that was the best then no thanks....Also they trailed it for so long before it actually started that it annoyed me

Am i wrong? Is it worth a look?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I was put off this by the lame pregnancy/fat joke being the one they chose to push as a reason to watch. You show your best to get people hooked, If that was the best then no thanks....Also they trailed it for so long before it actually started that it annoyed me

Yes it's pretty funny. Some quality actors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

I'd say it's worth a look.

Nick Frost can be a hit or miss with me but i actually like him in this.The writing is also pretty witty.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See the first one.Enjoyed it.;-)
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this , wasn't sure I would but its pretty funny.
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good show. Enjoying it thoroughly.
  • Options
    fossilbearfossilbear Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoying this programme. I hope they make a second series.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Bumpitybump

Finished watching the finale tonight - I wasn't sure about Nick Frost early on, but I grew to love his character.

A really fun, little show. Would love a second series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 2nd series would be good.

Overall i thought the series was pretty good.It was funny & sad at times.I thought it was well written & the scenes with the 4 of them in the pub sitting around the table usually had me laughing.

The dvd is released tomorrow http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Sloane-DVD-Nick-Frost/dp/B00JYBCL62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404024207&sr=8-1&keywords=Mr+Sloane
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Bumpitybump

Finished watching the finale tonight - I wasn't sure about Nick Frost early on, but I grew to love his character.

A really fun, little show. Would love a second series.

Ditto. Was sad to see it was only 6 episodes, really enjoyed it. Would be good to see how it develops after the ending of S1.
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on a 2nd Series?
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched all six episodes today, thought it was very very good.

I'd like to see a second season but I'm not too sure it'd work after the ending of season one.