Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Regarding the possibility of a Mrs Brown's Boys spin-off series, worth noting that there is an exclusive announcement over on their Facebook page tomorrow morning....

Ooooh interesting. I wonder what the spin off will feature as it's main character. Thanks for this D.M.N.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh interesting. I wonder what the spin off will feature as it's main character. Thanks for this D.M.N.

There is a character in the movie that Brendan apparently wants to evolve. It has nothing to do with Mrs. Brown's Boys - sadly. It is a separate character.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    I'm sure all the ITV staff who've been working on their bulletins today won't quite feel the same. The match finished 10 minutes before the Regional News was due to start, so a weird decision.

The crazy thing is the ITV Regional News is often still one of ITV's most watched programmes of the day, after the soaps. It won't be for much longer when they treat it so poorly.

@GregScottTV: So seriously - All ITV regions who have prepared and worked hard on bulletins, DROPPED so we can hear Chiles and Chums? Astonishing.

@csayr: Adrian Chiles blaming the "cooling breaks" for the cancellation of ITV regional news. Did they need to show 15 mins of analysis? #pishtalk

@DamoIRL: Hold on @ITV, you have two live games today. You can accomodate regional news! Disgraceful that its been cut again!

@MJowen174: The regional news has been dropped because we're talking about a game of football that hasn't been happening for 15 minutes.

@PatMcNicholas: "The regional news has been cancelled because of the drinks breaks".
    There were two 3 minute breaks, Adrian. Don't give me that crap. #ITV

@nagood: So the regional news is dropped 'because of the water breaks'? Do away with the crap punditry and we can get the news @ITV

Disgraceful to drop the regional news like that. Seriously? Well at least the news teams were paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    I do wonder why local news on BBC One and ITV has not been expanded. As you say they are usually very well watched, especially on BBC One. A 30 minute evening programme would complete either News at Ten.

BBC1 and ITV already have 30 minute evening regional news bulletins.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown's Boy's has biggest UK box office launch of year to date:
    Universal Pictures International delivered a momentous number one UK debut as Mrs. Brown’s Boys D’ Movie based on the Irish TV show arrived on $7.8m from 520 sites.

This was the biggest UK launch of the year-to-date, the biggest opening day of all time in Ireland the biggest ever launch in Ireland of a local film.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/transformers-4-storms-to-201m-intl/5073630.article

Pretty sure the article means biggest box office launch for Universal, not across all film studios, as there have been several bigger weekends than that this year. Considering the film budget was £3.5m this is going to make a big profit over its run
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    BBC1 and ITV already have 30 minute evening regional news bulletins.

Does everything have to be spelt out here. Everyone in the UK knows we have a 30 minute teatime programme, i'm referring to later evening as in mentioning News at Ten was a big clue. Rolls eyes
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand Regional News is valuable to some viewers (I get Granada News and its very hit and miss)....there is a reason post match waffle gets a lot less viewers - its over and done with, no matter what they say it is just opinion and viewers aren't really interested what they say.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little somthing. For everyone saying the Voice UK artist will never have a number one, well you should take a look at the latest charts. Becky Hill has claimed number one with a collaboration. Granted she's not on her own, but it's still nice to see her doing well she was really good on the Voice.

Leah McFall could follow suit next month too, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/transformers-4-storms-to-201m-intl/5073630.article

Pretty sure the article means biggest box office launch for Universal, not across all film studios, as there have been several bigger weekends than that this year. Considering the film budget was £3.5m this is going to make a big profit over its run

Wow go Mrs Brown :)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    And you wonder why I criticise Itv and the broadcaster are regarded a joke by millions of viewers. Decisions like tonight prove why Itv are a dwindling broadcaster and why viewers much prefer the BBC. God Save The Beeb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Leah McFall could follow suit next month too, fingers crossed!

I hope so really like her debut single HOME.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    There is a character in the movie that Brendan apparently wants to evolve. It has nothing to do with Mrs. Brown's Boys - sadly. It is a separate character.

Ah ok. Out of interest have you seen the movie if so is it any good? Am going to try and see it next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What drama though, incredible. What a World Cup it's been despite England being rubbish.

This has been an excellent World Cup in terms of ratings and entertainment. If only England were a part of it a bit longer. Imagine the ratings!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This has been an excellent World Cup in terms of ratings and entertainment.!
    Cylon6 - the viewing figures statistics prove it has been an excellent World Cup for the BBC in terms of ratings, it's been their best rating World Cup since at least 1998. However this World Cup has been Itv's worst rated one since 2002, when there was no primetime games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Does everything have to be spelt out here. Everyone in the UK knows we have a 30 minute teatime programme, i'm referring to later evening as in mentioning News at Ten was a big clue. Rolls eyes

Because they have the main local bulletin they don't see a need for another one after the 10pm news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »

I think they are referring to a UK film so in terms of UK movies Mrs Brown's Boys Da Movie had a big launch.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been an excellent World Cup in terms of ratings and entertainment. If only England were a part of it a bit longer. Imagine the ratings!

Indeed, lots of drama, more goals than ever, lots of shock results, the only disappointment being that one of the shocks was England going out after basically 2 matches.

After the initial lull after England's poor performance, it looks like ratings are picking up again, and are massive across the board
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Cylon6 - the viewing figures statistics prove it has been an excellent World Cup for the BBC in terms of ratings, it's been their best rating World Cup since at least 1998. However this World Cup has been Itv's worst rated one since 2002, when there was no primetime games.

Is that official? They both got some good ratings bout of it and A World Cup isn't over yet. Don't forget a Brazil Quarter Final in primetime on ITV.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    However this World Cup has been Itv's worst rated one since 2002, when there was no primetime games.

The match averages tell a different story....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Indeed, lots of drama, more goals than ever, lots of shock results, the only disappointment being that one of the shocks was England going out after basically 2 matches.

After the initial lull after England's poor performance, it looks like ratings are picking up again, and are massive across the board

One of the best tournaments ever and it isn't over yet. It helped that quote a few matches had evening kick offs. I would love to see a World Cup with all the home nations and matches in primetime. Imagine those ratings!

Maybe one day.

Do you think The Commonwealth Games will hook people like The World Cup? I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    But they didn't need to change anything, because the football was over by 7pm.

ITV News Anglia has just retweeted this...
    @tim_langridge: @NatalieGrayITV @itvanglia disgusted they have pulled the news. Shut the idiot footy pundits up.... England are out so who cares!

I quite like Anglia News but don't watch the really short ones.
    I would say they are right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is that official? They both got some good ratings bout of it and A World Cup isn't over yet. Don't forget a Brazil Quarter Final in primetime on ITV.
    In terms of Itv's coverage average for the Group Phase, they are down from the previous two World Cups:

BBC v Itv World Cup Ratings War - average ratings after the completion of the Group Stage:

BBC - 5.0m/34pct
    Itv - 4.3m/29pct
    * excludes BBC3/Itv4 games

Despite showing just one England game, the BBC have ended up triumphant in the Ratings War for the 2014 World Cup Group Phase, beating Itv by 0.7million and 5share points. This was the BBC's best rating Group Phase since at least World Cup 1998 [perhaps even before that], but Itv's worst since World Cup 2002 [a competition which didnt even air in primetime]. Comparisons to previous Group Stages:

2006 - BBC: 4.5m/34pct, Itv: 4.7m/30pct
    2010 - BBC: 4.5m/33pct, Itv: 4.9m/33pct

In both previous World Cups, Itv was the winner for the Group Stage with shares of 30%+. This time, they rated 0.6million worse than the previous World Cup despite this year's tournament having better kick off times than before. The BBC surged up 0.5million compared to the last couple of World Cups, confirming their status as the Nation's Favourite football broadcaster and confirmation that they chose wisely in terms of picks.
    The match averages tell a different story....
    Match averages unfortunately for Itv dont pay the bills. It's the coverage average, and in particular how the adverts rate pre, mid and post match, which is important. Thats why the coverage average matters more.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV deserve to get a good bashing for this, I'm just gobsmcked they have done this. I bet the rpt of Catchphrase will get at least 1million lower than the regional news would have.

It reasons like this that make the BBC the more reliable broadcaster. Sometimes you want to really want to have a good moan at them for some of these stupid decisions. Do they really think that little of their regional news? Looks like it.
    I caught a bit of Catchphrase in the pub. Now I normally quite like the show, but a repeat of a zeleb version is barrel scraping, but probably acceptable as it fills a gap between two matches. ITV probably know it will rate badly, but the football will pull in people who normally don't watch their main channel much, like young men.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Programme lengths - group stages
    2010 - ITV: 162 minutes
    2014 - ITV: 182 minutes

I can't do the same calculation easily for the BBC games, because of the three way split but if you're looking for a reason why ITV's programme average has dropped, that is why - not the 'weekly reach' issue, or anything else.

And I doubt ITV care about the average dropping 0.3m versus 2010, as no doubt that extra 20 minutes of air-time is rating significantly higher than whatever they would usually have on at that time (for example: 16:00 to 16:20 for sake of argument).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Programme lengths - group stages
    2010 - ITV: 162 minutes
    2014 - ITV: 182 minutes

I can't do the same calculation easily for the BBC games, because of the three way split but if you're looking for a reason why ITV's programme average has dropped, that is why - not the 'weekly reach' issue, or anything else.

And I doubt ITV care about the average dropping 0.3m versus 2010, as no doubt that extra 20 minutes of air-time is rating significantly higher than whatever they would usually have on at that time (for example: 16:00 to 16:20 for sake of argument).
    Theyve actually dropped 0.6million from 2010. That is not only down to airing 20more mins, which maybe would knock off about 0.2million off a 2.5hour coverage average. Weekly reach reduction has impacted their ratings, as well as some poor picks.

The Beeb are up 0.5million from 2010, so why arent Itv at least stable vs. 2010?
This discussion has been closed.