Options

Costa Rica vs Greece - ITV 9pm KO

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So far this world cup during penalties, we have seen Keepers way off their line, and players stuttering their run ups, i thought these were against the rules
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't they wait at least a couple of minutes before rushing to the adverts??

Exactly!!! Let us see the celebrations and tears
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes it two penalty shootouts which my least favourite team have won.

Put your bets on a Messi winning penalty against the Swiss.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who'd have thought this thread would hit 24 pages?

:)
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we can officially say this is a great World Cup.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »

Well done to everyone who made it to the end of that match. Medals all round I think.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Impressive penalties by Costa Rica, grateful they've spared me from Greece - wonder if Greece will get Capello for their next manager, they deserve each other.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how long the odds were of Costa Rica making the quarter finals when the draw was made?
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Greece really should have won it in E/T. Well done to Costa Rica. Excellent penalties.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member

Definitely.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Well done to everyone who made it to the end of that match. Medals all round I think.

You say that, but after the Costa Rica goal and the red card it turned into quite an entertaining match - and the second period of extra time and penalties were pulsating.

I think Navas deserved to be the hero there, he made several key saves at the end of that second half and extra time too and although he was well off his line at the penalty save, that's for the referee to spot and pull up.

He should share the glory, though, with everyone in the Costa Rican defence and midfield who put in a magnificent effort to keep the Greeks at bay for most of the second half and extra time with a one-man disadvantage.

Full credit to Joel Campbell too, dead on his feet and he calmly rolled it in as though he'd just walked onto the pitch.

How the Greeks will now rue that 5v2 break they couldn't finish.

Still, they take their thankfully unique brand of non-football home with them now and let's hope it doesn't bother any major tournament for the next 20 years.

Well done Costa Rica.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Exactly!!! Let us see the celebrations and tears

But you have to see these important messages! :p

Chuffed for Costa Rica. From Group D whipping boys to Quarter-Finalists in 2 weeks. :)

And that keeper? As I said earlier, he should have schools named after him back home. Roads too. :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good shoot out.

The world cup is now costa ricas to lose. And i think they will lose it.
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't they wait at least a couple of minutes before rushing to the adverts??

That bloody cue-dot appeared literally half a second after the last pen went in >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Costa RIca were even more dull, but each to their own.

That's what playing against Greece does to you! Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy in their group, they fully deserved to go through.

I'm thrilled for them, I really am. :D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith: "Always dramatic, always fantastic to watch..."

unless it's on ITV who rarely show the aftermath of any match.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's 9 WC shootouts in a row where the team going first has won.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    You say that, but after the Costa Rica goal and the red card it turned into quite an entertaining match - and the second period of extra time and penalties were pulsating.

I think Navas deserved to be the hero there, he made several key saves at the end of that second half and extra time too and although he was well off his line at the penalty save, that's for the referee to spot and pull up.

Full credit to Joel Campbell too, dead on his feet and he calmly rolled it in as though he'd just walked onto the pitch.
    I agree with Navas and Campbell overall but to be honest if the keeper dived the other way to was a nailled on save.
    I guess you could argue that he gave him the eyes or the run up made the choice for the keeper.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ITV want advert money. It's Costa Rica v Greece. They probably think nobody is watching.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    That's what playing against Greece does to you! Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy in their group, they fully deserved to go through.

I'm thrilled for them, I really am. :D

yeah yeah, thrilled for them blah blah blah :D

I agree, a lot of teams have looked poor against Greece, but I actually think Costa Rica are a bit boring to watch too. I don't even think the Greek defence was that great today and the Greeks were actually pushing forward a lot, and still Costa Rica hardly had any chances in 120 minutes.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »

Great that it can do KM, shows that there is a love of football no matter who is playing.

I reckon most sporting events can be great, so looking forward to the Commonwealth Games too :)

Chuffed for Costa Rica :D
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, glad that Greece lost.

CR though wont be able to handle the Dutch....
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It now looks like all the 8 group winners will get to the quarters.

Usa might trouble belgium, but the others look nailed on.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What???? Costa Rica managed to score?:o

I'd turned over because I just assumed that Costa Rica had blown it and there'd be no way they'd come back with 10 men.
    Now I come back to the thread and find that Costa Rica actually won.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    What???? Costa Rica managed to score?:o

I'd turned over because I just assumed that Costa Rica had blown it and there'd be no way they'd come back with 10 men.
    Now I come back to the thread and find that Costa Rica actually won.

Well, Costa Rica won on penalties.