Options

Conservatory and building regs control

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have made an offer on another house which has been accepted. Hopefully there will be no problems with this one.

However, it has a conservatory which is open to the house, no doors from the lounge into the conservatory. It doesnt bother us, although the garden is north east facing so I will presume that it may get chilly in winter.

However my understanding was that building regs specify that conservatories need external doors to them from the house, is this the case? What will happen if this doesnt meet building regs, we wouldnt need to change anything would we? It has underfloor heating.

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    We have made an offer on another house which has been accepted. Hopefully there will be no problems with this one.

However, it has a conservatory which is open to the house, no doors from the lounge into the conservatory. It doesnt bother us, although the garden is north east facing so I will presume that it may get chilly in winter.

However my understanding was that building regs specify that conservatories need external doors to them from the house, is this the case? What will happen if this doesnt meet building regs, we wouldnt need to change anything would we? It has underfloor heating.
    What does the above in bold mean?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it means there and no doors between the house and conservatory ... And no external door on the conservatory....

If so, that's very odd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    What does the above in bold mean?

As it says, the conservatory is on the back of the house but with no doors between the house and the conservatory. I thought there had to be external grade doors between a property and a conservatory?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it means there and no doors between the house and conservatory ... And no external door on the conservatory....

If so, that's very odd

No, there is an external door from the conservatory out to the garden, but thats not my query its that I thought to meet building control you had to have doors between a property and the conservatory.

The property last sold in 2008 and by the looks of the pictures on right move, it was the same then, so this has not been added by the current occupants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it says, the conservatory is on the back of the house but with no doors between the house and the conservatory. I thought there had to be external grade doors between a property and a conservatory?

You haven't explained this very well,

What doors are where?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't explained this very well,

What doors are where?????

I dont know how to say it any different, the conservatory is open to the house!!! I thought there had to be external grade doors between a property and a conservatory, not just open to the house. I thought you had to be able to shut the conservatory off to the house to meet building control?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, well you need to have a survey done....

I have double glazed French doors opening into my conservatory. I couldn't imagine it without doors.. Cold for one thing

Your surveyor will tell you what's needs to be done etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, well you need to have a survey done....

I have double glazed French doors opening into my conservatory. I couldn't imagine it without doors.. Cold for one thing

Your surveyor will tell you what's needs to be done efc

Yes of course we will have a survey done but it wont tell me anything I cant see with regard to the entrance to the conservatory !! I just want to be prewarned if there are going to be any obvious issues, we have had to pull out of one property already due to a problem with the house and Im not sure our buyers would tolerate another wait.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know how to say it any different, the conservatory is open to the house!!! I thought there had to be external grade doors between a property and a conservatory, not just open to the house. I thought you had to be able to shut the conservatory off to the house to meet building control?
    Are you saying to get into the conservatory you say come out of a back door, walk round into the garden and through a door into the conservatory?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes of course we will have a survey done but it wont tell me anything I cant see with regard to the entrance to the conservatory !! I just want to be prewarned if there are going to be any obvious issues, we have had to pull out of one property already due to a problem with the house and Im not sure our buyers would tolerate another wait.

Well the survey will tell you if you need to have doors put in....

Good luck
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The house we used to live in had what was called a sun room (don't know if that's a proper name or what it was dubbed by someone). It looked like a conservatory but part of the house and were no doors on two sides, one leading to the kitchen, the other to the sitting room. The other side was a wall with another room the other side of that and the front and roof was glass.

Due to the design it wasn't classed as a conservatory but just another room in the house. Passed building regs etc fine. So will probably depend how it has been done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Are you saying to get into the green house you say come out of a back door, walk round into the garden and through a door into the conservatory?

No, its open to the house!!!!!! I have said this! I dont know how else to explain it, there is the back of the house with no wall, which is open then to the conservatory. We only get one viewing at these awful viewing days, the offers have to be in by Monday morning so there isnt a chance to get another look. I didnt see whether there was any room to put doors in if necessary.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got a local chippie to sort out a set of wood double doors with half safety glass (dining room to conservatory).
    Five years ago. I think it was £600 but he was cheap.

Building Regs shouldn't apply in your case, but even if they do, you are unlikely to get done (or just asked to put it right).

Hang a curtain in the meantime :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the survey will tell you if you need to have doors put in....

Good luck

So they may just advise to put doors in, there wouldnt be any come back if we didnt? Although not having had a conservatory before I dont know how cold it might be. It was baking on Saturday and I got stressed because I dont like the house too hot. But I dont like being cold either!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we talking about a conservatory extension built onto a house? Not sure about adjoining doors being required, I know of at least three houses with conservatory extensions which don't have door access between the original build and the extension, you just walk through...
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Hope this helps tiacat.
    Building Regulations

Building regulations will generally apply if you want to build an extension to your home.

However, conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:

They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.
    The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.
    There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls.
    Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below).
    You are advised not to construct conservatories where they will restrict ladder access to windows serving rooms in roof or loft conversions, particularly if any of the windows are intended to help escape or rescue if there is a fire.

Any new structural opening between the conservatory and the existing house will require building regulations approval, even if the conservatory itself is an exempt structure.
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So this particular conservatory cannot have been exempt from building control as it does not have external doors separating it from the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this particular conservatory cannot have been exempt from building control as it does not have external doors separating it from the house.

Sounds like it but if they got building regs when they did it all will be fine. That will be pulled up in the searches if you come to buy it. If they didn't get it retrospective building regs may be needed but if it is over 2 years old the coucil will not enforce compliance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doors may be required for fire risk reasons (spreading between 'rooms')

You really ought to budget for doors though. It WILL be cold in winter in your living room.

Note that if you have a gas fire in the living room, and then you put doors in, you may have to put extra vents to the outside (Carbon Monoxide reasons). It's not expensive or difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doors may be required for fire risk reasons (spreading between 'rooms')

You really ought to budget for doors though. It WILL be cold in winter in your living room.

Note that if you have a gas fire in the living room, and then you put doors in, you may have to put extra vents to the outside (Carbon Monoxide reasons). It's not expensive or difficult.

Yes, I wondered about the cold. This couple have children and from the pictures dont appear to have ever put doors in. The previous owners didnt have doors, makes you wonder why not?

Problem is we have gone right up to our limit due to the market, there literally is no money left for anything. Luckily I have lots of jumpers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about it then....go for the curtain....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about it then....go for the curtain....

Yes, Im taking my living room curtains which should fit nicely!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours wasn't cold in the winter. was very nice all year round.

edit: just checked, ours was north west facing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Join your local Freecycle group too....good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Ours wasn't cold in the winter. was very nice all year round.

edit: just checked, ours was north west facing

North west is lovely, not too hot and you get the evening sun set. We have had to compromise hugely, pay way over the odds, get a 2 bed instead of 3 and small kitchen but its a very good area and lovely road, so we cant get everything!