Options

"the harder you work, the luckier you get." do you agree with this quote?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you agree with this quote or not?

Comments

• Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »

Yes .
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I dont understand how you can get luckier by working harder
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.

<filler>
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »

You make your own luck that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's normally a case of who you know and attitude than skill in the corporate world. And the more your earn the more freebies you get.
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you work hard in a factory job, you could go - absolutely nowhere! Same applies for any other menial, low skilled job. You can get worked like a slave, but absolutely no chance of doing better as there are probably limited opportunities available.

Like the above said, it's probably more beneficial to know influencial/important people.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    You learn what you can from a lowly job and apply the skills you've learnt in a job hunt elsewhere. You don't stick in one place forever hoping for a lucky break, you make your lucky break by looking elsewhere off your own accord.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »

You've completey misunderstood the quote.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Isn't this usually a sarcastic response to someone claiming you only achieved X because you got lucky?
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

Today, overworked, underpaid, impoverished sweatshop worker - tomorrow, millionaire.

Think I saw the film.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that the original and better quote was from golfer Gary Player - 'The more I practise, the luckier I get'.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    Isn't this usually a sarcastic response to someone claiming you only achieved X because you got lucky?
    It's similar to a quote attributed to various sportsmen (often golfers)

Fan: "You were really lucky to make that shot!"

Sportsperson: "It's funny, the more I practice the luckier I get..."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that the original and better quote was from golfer Gary Player - 'The more I practise, the luckier I get'.

It works well with sports people and musicians, not so much in general life. It might be truer in a lot of cases to say "the harder your parents worked, the luckier you got." I bet Stella McCartney was not the hardest working fashion student of her year when Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell modelled her student show, ensuring her wall to wall press coverage.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years spent in education, a job that doesn't pay much more than 20k a year, and no prospects. I really am considering quitting by the end of the year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Judging by the way the bosses carry on (just because I agree to stay an extra hour/start a bit earlier, depending on the staffing levels and size of the delivery, they're lucky to have me there at the time.
    The problem is, that I finish at five on two afternoons and there's nobody else to work to load as the bos has to do some things round the back and the tills need working and between5-6, there's nobody else to work the load.

The above and me offering to hang on (last time, the boss was almost pleading with me:confused::confused::confused:).
    Still, with two juicy weeks off the early finish would have been an added bonus.

I told one of the bosses I was working with that It'd be a waste of time putting all the Fosters, Strongbow, Carling and Stella out just for the World Cup and I be half of it's been reduced.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You learn what you can from a lowly job and apply the skills you've learnt in a job hunt elsewhere. You don't stick in one place forever hoping for a lucky break, you make your lucky break by looking elsewhere off your own accord.

This is very true for me. Willingness to move around the country to follow the work; to gain experience from a variety of different companies; and to take risks / new challenges on a regular basis has benefited me far greater than my limited education, family background, or contact list

Though hard work is a big part of it
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's just a sarcastic quip in response to success being put down to luck.

'Luck' is when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

No ... at least not according to my undesrtanding of "luck".

Oxford dictionary definition:

"Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions"

If you work hard and create the opportunities to succeed, that's hard work, not luck.

If you start chatting to a complete stranger in a pub, and they just happen to be looking to recruit someone with your skills, that's luck! Obviously, gaining those skills required hard work, but the opportunity to use them was down to a chance encounter ... i.e. luck.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It's clearly worked for Pippa Middleton...oh wait...
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Luck has nothing to do with it, nor has working hard just for the sake of it. However, I do believe firmly that if you embrace every opportunity given to you, even if it is challenging and takes you out of your comfort zone and go the extra mile when doing so (I.e. outside normal working hours) you will a) improve your cv b) grow as a person c) put yourself in a position where you are noticed, regarded more highly and as a consequence will be given new opportunities. It's like stepping stones, follow the pattern and each iteration moves you upwards. So not luck at all but I can vouch that it does work.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Often some people fail to think before putting hard effort down as luck. We were the poorest family in the street, At 14 years I left school to deliver groceries on a trades cycle. While neighbours were passing their overseas holidays snaps around I was working up to 12 hours a day and despite 2 years compulsory national service in Malaya, by the age of 29 had three premises a top range car and two planes. Obviously all down to 'being lucky'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The harder you work, the less luck you need.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    No, if you work hard you earn what you get. That's not luck.
  • Options
    denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The harder you work the more opportunities may come your way, not sure luck comes in to it.