Options

EE: Aflie is making me cringe!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
Forum Member
Catching up on last nights Eastenders, now I've never had an issue with Aflie and I know there is a fair bit of hate for him on here but the whole constant skeme to be this amazing 'East End trader' just makes me majorly cringe! Starting to think the character has run it's course again.

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, I do

He is meant to be a fairly intelligent man, seriously, who would a) spend their LAST £70 on ice cream that he hasnt even looked at - from Fat Elvis of all people :confused: and b) why would he even contemplate trying to sell it without checking with the market inspector :confused:

its just ridiculous - he has become a baffoon of the greatest proportions
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    They need to find something better for him to do. The other market traders are either extras, or in the case of Bianca, only feature market storylines sporadically.

What sort of business would Alfie be good at? Perhaps they need to diagnose him with alzeimers and make it a long running realistic story for him & Kat.
  • Options
    SuburbanqueenSuburbanqueen Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Fully agree. I used to quite like him but he is just dire now. Utterly ridiculous storyline surely he'd just go and take a job in Tesco or something - in real life ! Still no-one ever looks outside the Square to make their living !
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    yes, I do

He is meant to be a fairly intelligent man, seriously, who would a) spend their LAST £70 on ice cream that he hasnt even looked at - from Fat Elvis of all people :confused: and b) why would he even contemplate trying to sell it without checking with the market inspector :confused:

its just ridiculous - he has become a baffoon of the greatest proportions

He has the business brain of a toddler!!!

As for trying to break into Aleks laptop, who does he think he is?
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Alfie anymore. I used to be a big fan of him but he's a joke now. They really need to give Alfie better storylines but he's annoying me a lot at the moment.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he'd be good in the bookies. What's happened to it anyway?

Personally, I didn't mind it. A silly decision but that's Alfie. I found him much more cringeworthy back in the day when he was chasing after his sister in law.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    They need to find something better for him to do. The other market traders are either extras, or in the case of Bianca, only feature market storylines sporadically.

What sort of business would Alfie be good at? Perhaps they need to diagnose him with alzeimers and make it a long running realistic story for him & Kat.

Ian should employ him in the café, of Max could take him on in the car lot. He could do his cheeky chappie routine without having to make big decisions.

Or maybe he could buy Terry's taxi when he leaves, as long as he does it by the book and gets his licence.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    He has the business brain of a toddler!!!

As for trying to break into Aleks laptop, who does he think he is?

it cant be that toddler like - he ran a pub fairly successfully..............
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

But he was always late with his rent payments to Phil.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

He wasn't successful. He never had the rent and when he did have it he gambled it away. He would but job lots of strange booze etc. Any money he did make was from stealing, fencing stolen goods or storing loot for Derek. The man is a hopeless businessman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate him, hated him since his return. He is just awful. He is way too old for that garbage on the market. They should just make it official and have Alfie become a cabbie, I dont care the amount of fudging that has to go on to do it, it would be much better for him, wouldnt have to see him as much and more interesting stories like finding drugs left in the cab or someone claiming he raped them or something on a night out. Anything but 'Allo sweetheart, yeah thats duck a'l'orange you'll love it!'
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Alfie needs to go. The writers clearly have no idea what to do with his character nowadays.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    I think he'd be good in the bookies. What's happened to it anyway?

Personally, I didn't mind it. A silly decision but that's Alfie. I found him much more cringeworthy back in the day when he was chasing after his sister in law.

That's a good suggestion, I'm not even sure the set is still there, it would be a much better solution for him to have a job like that and not have theses tedious money problems every episode, I never understood the point of them giving him the burger van and taking it away.

They use to use the bookies quite a lot back in 2009/10 when Glenda and Carol worked there.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Since he got kicked out of the Vic it feels like Shane Richie has been going even more OTT than usual.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie's always made me cringe! He and Kat are the reason I stopped watching Eastenders when they were first in it and I've never gone back to it.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still love both Kat and Alfie, but what happen to the Alfie who used a fake identity and conned the Mitchells?
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the other day that they have turned him into another Billy Mitchell. :(
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    He wasn't successful. He never had the rent and when he did have it he gambled it away. He would but job lots of strange booze etc. Any money he did make was from stealing, fencing stolen goods or storing loot for Derek. The man is a hopeless businessman.

He must have had the rent or he wouldn't have managed the Vic for so long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Alfie just looks out of place, especially out in that leather jacket in this decent weather. I don't want to see people loose their jobs, but the character really should be laid to rest now. Danny Dyer plays the cockney geeza much better.

The market itself is missing a trick - EastEnders could use it as a source of bringing characters together, like Corrie have the factory & "factory girls" - EastEnders could use the market in a similar style, with more cast out there interacting instead of the same extras buying the same stuff from the same stalls - Alfie's ice cream last night - who was he shouting at to buy...there was about 5 customers browsing the market, the rest was fellow traders!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I still love Alfie and he made me laugh last week when he and Terry dressed up as women and imo the loveable cheeky chappy that I love is still there...somewhere, but I agree he has become stupid at times, making silly decisions and encountering on one brainless money making scheme after another, he should have known that ice cream would be dodgy if it involves Big Mo and Fat Elvis.

I can't see Alfie evet getting a proper job (i doubt he's EVER even had one), what would he do apart from bartender or car dealer and who would employ him with his criminal record and at his age?

I feel as if i'm slowly watching his character dying, not physically but like a slow deconstruction of his character, like he's drowning in a sea of random story lines where he's making stupid decisions and doing stupid stuff like driving a cab without a licence and not calling an ambulance for Kat when she had a twinge last week.

And as for calling them babies Bert and Ernie....words fail me!

Come on, DTC give the script writers a kick up the arse and tell them to write him some decent story lines.