Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise he went out so early! Who's Eugenie Bouchard playing (I've got a bet on her)?

She's playing Kerber. I think it starts at midday.
  • Options
    TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise he went out so early! Who's Eugenie Bouchard playing (I've got a bet on her)?

Angelique Kerber.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Serena showed classic signs of labrynthtis, an ear infection where you loose your balance.
    I don't think there is anything sinister. It will be interesting to see if she goes straight home because she should not be flying in her condition.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    I know I'm abit late but don't think Sharapova and Nadal losing is as big a shock as they are making out. This is Nadal's best Wimbledon.performance in years. The person who he lost to is a surprise but the result isn't. I actually predicted Kyrigos would win to my family before the match. I think he will be good for the game - he has a type of cool swagger which I think the girls will like. And he looks different to other players. I think ordinary kids will relate to him. He looks like the average teen you might see in London.

Sharapova averages one slam win every two years and has never won two consecutive Slams - I think once Serena lost the commentators were underestimating everyone else in the draw. Very surprised that Sharapova hasn't come back from a set down in ten years here.

Very odd about Serena. Don't think she was hungover though as I doubt her close knit family would have allowed the world to see her in that state if she was, but it did seem strange that Venus appeared to be disinterested. And the fact she hasn't seen her coach and hitting partner in days sounded odd too.

It was a far more entertaining contest than just seeing Nadal manoeuvring a fellow behind the baseline player of a similar ranking to Kyrigos around the court for almost the entire duration of the contest with Nadal strolling through in 3 easy sets barely breaking sweat in the process.

Wimbledon is the place traditionally for the big hitters. It would be great to see a few big hitters coming back to the fore again and in the mix with a good chance of winning the whole thing rather than it just being rear court players completely dominating and making up all of the last 8 and the vast majority of the last 16 all the time.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    I think Serena showed classic signs of labrynthtis, an ear infection where you loose your balance.
    I don't think there is anything sinister. It will be interesting to see if she goes straight home because she should not be flying in her condition.

I had that before myself two years ago for a few weeks. Nasty dose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only caught Nadal's presser this morning

Haha even happier he lost now, talk about bitter!!
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Only caught Nadal's presser this morning

Haha even happier he lost now, talk about bitter!!

It's not his best one is it? To be fair, some of what he's saying was true (he's young, he's had nothing to lose, no fear, no pressure) he just didn't say it in the right way. Or at the right time!
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    The HL show is scheduled every eveing from 8-9pm BBC2 but now they seem to think viewers prefer to stay with any live match .

I'm sure there are lots of people working during the day and who look forward to these HLs, especially when you have big upsets like today . They surely could have put the Kvitova match on the red button .

Or the highlights on the red button. A live quarterfinal on quarterfinals day should always take precedence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    It's not his best one is it? To be fair, some of what he's saying was true (he's young, he's had nothing to lose, no fear, no pressure) he just didn't say it in the right way. Or at the right time!

Yeah exactly!

Didn't like his comment regarding "impossible play against someone who serves so well" (or along those lines) either, looked to me given his tone he was clearly implying he only lost because Kyrgios servebotted. "I play better than him in sets 2 and 3" who gives a toss, you're out, get over it!! :D

But it's the "he's young, he's nothing to lose, lets see can he keep it up" quote which was very bitter if you ask me.

I was actually surprised in the end he didn't try and blame an injury the way he was going on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    It was a far more entertaining contest than just seeing Nadal manoeuvring a fellow behind the baseline player of a similar ranking to Kyrigos around the court for almost the entire duration of the contest with Nadal strolling through in 3 easy sets barely breaking sweat in the process.

Wimbledon is the place traditionally for the big hitters. It would be great to see a few big hitters coming back to the fore again and in the mix with a good chance of winning the whole thing rather than it just being rear court players completely dominating and making up all of the last 8 and the vast majority of the last 16 all the time.

Wouldn't put it past this kid making the final. Huge test today but if he could pull himself through it, I'd actually probably fancy him to beat Stan/Roger on this surface
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still like Nadal and think he's the greatest player I've ever watched but he can really learn to conduct himself better after such losses^^^

I couldn't really believe what I was hearing
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 28,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    :o:o I'm well jell :p

So do I call you Sir now or what? :p Can you send me your autograph pls? I can put it amongst the others I have of celebrities :p lol!

Was Maria friendly?

How friendly were the others?

Your friend the journalist doesn't want someone to type up their notes do they? I'm available, but I'd have to come along to the party to make sure they're writing the correct notes :D:D

Not that famous yet. Let's see if I can go back next year.

They were all friendly to a point. it's limited how friendly or unfriednly you can be when you talk to them for 30 seconds. It's not like we gonna be best friends (unfortunately ;)) It's part of their job, being nice to fans...

I've done the same with Eurovision. It was interesting to actually meet Maria and be close to her for a while. I think she's the highest paid female athlete in any sport right now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger cruising in a snoozefest while Stan and Lopez knock seven shades of sh1t out of each other

All irrelevant anyway in that he'll barely win 5 games in the semi in what'll be a typically overhyped snoozefest
    Yes, Roger's game goes to pieces when he meets Rafa, no matter how well he's been playing prior to then and no matter how much of a struggle Rafa has had. If Rafa gets dumped out today then Roger has a chance.

This is so true. Rog would have had no chance whatsoever against Rafa. Not the draw opened up, and I doubt hell get a better chance to win a final slam.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interview (10m) by Annabel and Mats with Genie. A few other extended interviews there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyrgios not lacking in confidence. He's quite cocky.
    JB92 wrote: »
    I think that helps when you're playing someone like Nadal.

True. So many players are already defeated before they even starts playing the top players
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would be the first time since 1992 that the top seed has lost to someone outside the top 100.

Wow. Love these stats!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    This is so true. Rog would have had no chance whatsoever against Rafa. Not the draw opened up, and I doubt hell get a better chance to win a final slam.

For sure!

The Nadal point still stands. Had he made the semi Roger would never beat him.

I still think roger does have a lot of work to do to make the final but I believe his chances have now gone from "slim" to "very good"
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah exactly!

Didn't like his comment regarding "impossible play against someone who serves so well" (or along those lines) either, looked to me given his tone he was clearly implying he only lost because Kyrgios servebotted. "I play better than him in sets 2 and 3" who gives a toss, you're out, get over it!! :D

But it's the "he's young, he's nothing to lose, lets see can he keep it up" quote which was very bitter if you ask me.

I was actually surprised in the end he didn't try and blame an injury the way he was going on!

That quote is true though! I was listening to Radio 5, yesterday, and one of the Aussie guys, didn't really want him to win! He thought it would be too much too soon. Meaning he didn't want him to crash and burn before he had even arrived!

I'm really shocked Rafa was upset and grumpy because he had lost!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind if Nick went on to win the whole thing, but have a feeling he'll crumble in the next round.

Not unlikely. His biggest win ever, then playing another tought oppononet less than 24 h later. It will be close. Anything can happen I guess...
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »

Very odd about Serena. Don't think she was hungover though as I doubt her close knit family would have allowed the world to see her in that state if she was, but it did seem strange that Venus appeared to be disinterested.

Yes. Very strange. The internet is currently rife about Serena and PED's, prescription drugs etc. As you say particularly strange that Venus seemed uninterested as if she wasn't at all surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Wow. Love these stats!

And, in case it's not already been mentioned, the last 19-year old to beat the world number 1 was...? Rafa Nadal! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah exactly!

The thing is with these interviews is that from the questioning you're virtually directed to come up with some reasons why you lost, other than that the other guy played better. If you just answer yes/no, it makes for a boring interview. You have to provide an "analysis" and it will tend to sound like excuses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Wimbledon is the place traditionally for the big hitters. It would be great to see a few big hitters coming back to the fore again and in the mix with a good chance of winning the whole thing.

Yes, in the past the big hitters had good chances of reaching the final at Wimbledon even while getting nowhere elsewhere. Usually in the final they would be outclassed by a Borg or a peak Federer. :)
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like Nadal and think he's the greatest player I've ever watched but he can really learn to conduct himself better after such losses^^^

I couldn't really believe what I was hearing

I'd get rid of all post match interviews.

I listened to the first 3-4 questions and had to turn it off.

You've just lost in a Grand Slam match as #1 in the world to a talented but lowly ranked teenager, you haven't calmed down yet (next morning, you may have done) and you are asked ridiculous questions about the future of your opponent ('Do you expect to be facing him again a lot in the future?)

Yes, no, maybe, who cares at this moment?

It's a 'Give us a soundbyte for our next headline / story' exercise.

If these guys and gals can't write their story without this farce of a process, then they shouldn't be writing at all.

Asking players, whoever they are, to sit and be held to task by a bunch of journalists many of which no very little about the game, ticks boxes for the Tours / Slams as far as media transparency but add no insight whatsoever to our understanding / knowledge base.
This discussion has been closed.