Options

George Osborne refuses to answer schoolboy's simple '7 times 8' question

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
George Osborne was embarrassed today when he failed to answer a basic maths question.

The Chancellor was being interviewed by a panel of children on Sky News about the economy.

But he was left flummoxed when asked him what seven times eight is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10942559/George-Osborne-stalls-over-7x8-times-table-question-from-a-seven-year-old.html

What a pathetic example to set by the Chancellor.

It says a lot about our politicians when they refuse to answer such a simple question.

Comments

• Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    If he had answered he would have been asked other more difficult and less straightforward questions in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    If he had answered he would have been asked other more difficult and less straightforward questions in the future.

Oh yes, can't have the bloke running the economy doing that.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Oh yes, can't have the bloke running the economy doing that.
    So you would be quite happy to give the answer to question involving multiplying 2 five figure numbers off the top of your head?
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty - I am not bothered.

The journalist that wrote this story is as daft as the Tory MP who is (presumably) going to raise a Point of Order every time a member stands up in the house and says "Under the previous administration this figure was only one third by comparison......."

That level of pedantry is probably not a great idea. I commend this opinion to the Forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    So you would be quite happy to give the answer to question involving multiplying 2 five figure numbers off the top of your head?

Come off it, he was asked a simple question by a kid and was so tied up in own politicking he couldn't even bring himself to answer it.

What a poor example to set anyone, let alone children.

People say politicians are out of touch, well this is a fine example of it. They can't even bring themselves to answer a simple times table question from a child in a program that is set up for children to ask questions.

That's assuming he knew the answer of course, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Give the guy a break. It was just too difficult for him.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's likely that the chancellor was not quite certain of the answer.

But that child missed a trick, the correct thing to do would have been to suggest if he would then do an easier sum. Say, 2 x 4 ?
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Osborne is in good/bad company. Former Labour minister Stephen Byers thought eight times seven was 54.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think it's likely that the chancellor was not quite certain of the answer.

But that child missed a trick, the correct thing to do would have been to suggest if he would then do an easier sum. Say, 2 x 4 ?

Extraordinary if he couldn't answer that simple question which most 7 year olds might be expected to know. But then he is a history graduate whose only two proper jobs outside politics were data entry of stats on dead people and folding towels in a shop.

Still I suppose he has officials to add things up!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Osborne is in good/bad company. Former Labour minister Stephen Byers thought eight times seven was 54.

When did he become chancellor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    In all honesty - I am not bothered.

The journalist that wrote this story is as daft as the Tory MP who is (presumably) going to raise a Point of Order every time a member stands up in the house and says "Under the previous administration this figure was only one third by comparison......."

That level of pedantry is probably not a great idea. I commend this opinion to the Forum.

You'll find it reported in all the major media not just the Telegraph...

George Osborne dodges simple maths question

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/03/george-osborne-refuses-boys-maths-test

George Osborne dodges child's question on eight times table live on TV

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-osborne-dodges-childs-question-on-eight-times-table-live-on-tv-9581566.html

etc etc

To be honest, I think you're being a little flippant and playing the pedant yourself.

One could easily take some interesting things from this whole event, from the sheer abrasive stiffness of our politicians, to the nit picking from the public which is probably a cause of politicians conduct.

At its most basic, I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Osborne couldn't actually answer the question either. Which is something coming from a government that seems to have a fixation on things like learning times tables.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    When did he become chancellor?

He wasn't, he was Chief Sec to the Treasury

He joined the Cabinet in July 1998, as Chief Secretary to the Treasury and became a Member of the Privy Council. After the sudden resignation of Peter Mandelson, Byers was appointed as Secretary of State for Trade and Industry in December 1998. After the 2001 general election, he was made Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government & the Regions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the story here is totally about whether Osborne knows his times tables, of course he doesn't, but more so the illusive behavior of our politicians.

This was a show set up specifically for kids to ask him questions, he gets asked one and the politician dodges it. FFS.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's it, he should resign immediately.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the story here is totally about whether Osborne knows his times tables, of course he doesn't, but more so the dire behavior of our politicians.

This was a show set up specifically for kids to ask him questions, and he gets asked one and the politician dodges it. FFS.

How do you know he doesn't?
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll find it reported in all the major media not just the Telegraph...

George Osborne dodges simple maths question

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/03/george-osborne-refuses-boys-maths-test

George Osborne dodges child's question on eight times table live on TV

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-osborne-dodges-childs-question-on-eight-times-table-live-on-tv-9581566.html

etc etc

To be honest, in trying to look clever, I think you're being a little flippant and playing the pedant yourself.

One could easily take some interesting things from this whole event, from the sheer abrasive stiffness of our politicians, to the nit picking from the public which is probably a cause of politicians conduct.

At its most basic, I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Osborne couldn't actually answer the question either. Which is something coming from a government that preaches about kids and times tables.

Jol - It's Me.
    It's just not in my Top 100 things I don't Like about George Osborne List
    Lefties fall out Shocker :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    How do you know he doesn't?

It was said jokingly. I've no idea.

People will try and turn it into a story about whether he knows or not though, but that isn't the full disgrace of this. His slippery behavior is the shame and disgrace.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was said jokingly. I've no idea.

People will try and turn it into a story about whether he knows or not though, but that isn't the full disgrace of this. His slippery behavior is the shame and disgrace.

He was right to avoid a loaded question.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6CKBYE535Ps#t=41

"I've made it a rule in life not to answer."

Doesn't mean he didn't know the answer (7x7 is 49, add another seven, 56).
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »

But he had a sure grasp of money when it came to cash for questions.

I question whether it is a good thing that school children should be meeting politicians and told beforehand they are very important people. The hour would have been better spent advising them that most are useless and corrupt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was appointed the youngest Chancellor of the Exchequer for over one hundred years. Continuing the tradition of appointing Chancellors of the Exchequre with no relevant experience in economics or finance and no qualifications in economics or finance. For all we know he may have failed Maths O level.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We now know what question will be first on Ed's list for PMQ's next Wednesday
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's a Golgafrinchan.
    6x9=42? really?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Maybe he's a Golgafrinchan.
    6x9=42? really?

At least he could have given the children a lesson in base 13 arithmetic.

Yes, it's embarrassing but I can understand why Osborne didn't answer. If they get the answer wrong then they look stupid but if they get it right they either look smug or invite even more questions.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Osborne was embarrassed today when he failed to answer a basic maths question.

The Chancellor was being interviewed by a panel of children on Sky News about the economy.

But he was left flummoxed when asked him what seven times eight is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10942559/George-Osborne-stalls-over-7x8-times-table-question-from-a-seven-year-old.html

What a pathetic example to set by the Chancellor.

It says a lot about our politicians when they refuse to answer such a simple question.

I notice you didn't answer it either, what's wrong your calculator not working ?

(and to save you taking your shoes and socks off to work out the anawer 7 X 8 = 56)