Options

CH4+1 HD and 4Seven HD for Freesat?

Comments

• Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard back from CH4 and Freesat. They have no plans for launch anytime soon.

Freeview seems a better option, Dave, just as many if not more HD....
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a shame that these channels are not available to all of the uk on freeview.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Just a shame that these channels are not available to all of the uk on freeview.
    Yes, although those who can't get COM7 aren't missing much from these new channels.

I'd be far more annoyed at missing out on BBC4-HD on freeview, something that satellite users don't need to worry about. :)
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    I have heard back from CH4 and Freesat. They have no plans for launch anytime soon.

But only for some in some parts of the country.

I have to wait till 2019!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,421
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »

Thank you twice for contacting them and also for letting us know. :)

At least we know now that we won't see these channels in the near term.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But only for some in some parts of the country.

I have to wait till 2019!

This really annoys me. I'm in the same boat. I pay the same license & want mainly HD. If they can't do the whole country, they should wait until everyone can get the broadcasts. I'm sure they would pull their fingers out then.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humid wrote: »
    This really annoys me. I'm in the same boat. I pay the same license & want mainly HD. If they can't do the whole country, they should wait until everyone can get the broadcasts. I'm sure they would pull their fingers out then.
    And P*ss off a lot of Viewers who would need to change their TV sets as SD emission would be stopped by the PSBs- so they would need to buy Freeview HD boxes) ... Hence COM7/8 to help the move . but I cannot see the government giving the BBC more money!

but as this is a Sat forum - it probably can be done on Freesat as there are few SD boxes to be replaced .

But Sky still has around 2 million SD STB in service.... which is a problem for it to get replaced.

The Government is very keen to get DVB-T2 AVC AAC done at the same time as terrestrial antenna have to be changed at DSO2 - whenever that is!

On any broadcast service there is also the issue that you need to get the whole value chain chnaged - and much of it is not under the control of influence of one (group of) orgastsion. -
    so historically the broadcasters have taken the lead and broadcast to sheep not people..... e
    which for any one could be seen to be a short term waste of money ...
    hence starting to do it gradually rather than all at once

more recently the set manufacturers have tried to lead but without sustaining Broadcasting their sets do not sell! (and they make an even greater loss_)
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another nail in Freesats coffin, who would pay extra for Freesat when theres so much HD on Freeview HD, & you dont need an unsightly dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Another nail in Freesats coffin, who would pay extra for Freesat when theres so much HD on Freeview HD, & you dont need an unsightly dish.
    People who want more channels and a solid, reliable signal.

My Com7 reception on freeview is flakey to say the least, but I only want it for BBC4-HD anyway. The rest of Com7 is pretty pointless tbh and I can easily do without it.

Would I take CH4+1 HD and 4Seven HD on satellite? Sure, but it's not the be all and end all, especially when flicking between the new CH4 HD offerings I found both were just showing repeats of 'Come Dine with Me' anyway. :o
  • Options
    Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dish is a functional item, in the same way that a Yagi for DTT is. Which is the most unsightly is a matter of individual perception, as well as being trivial.

And rather too many of us still cannot get worthwhile DTT reception, despite DSO, so Freesat does very nicely indeed, thankyou.

Oh, and the other unsightly dishes many of us have pull in HD Channels from across Europe and beyond. How good is that?!
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, buy im talking about 97% of people who can get a decent Freeview HD signal, & already have that aerial. Are they now when buying a new set going to buy a Freesat TV & have a dish installed at a cost of several hundred pounds? Not many I'll bet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why anyone would be obliged to get a new Freesat TV when all they need is an inexpensive STB.

And Dish installation comes in at around £80 for those who can't DiY and who don't have a legacy BSkyB dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should probably mention all the extra red button channels available on freesat right now too.

Five SD channels compared to only two on Freeview, and all with better picture quality. There's also an HD red button feed as well. :cool:

Btw 97% isn't the number who can get ALL of the freeview HD channels as many areas are not served by Com7.
    I think it's roughly about 70% who can get the new mux, but then you have to consider that they're at a significantly lower power than the other muxes and a lot of people (like me) will have problems with reception due to the low power. It's basically like pre DSO days again.

My local tv transmitter is a mish mash of varying power levels on the muxes and this causes me no end of problems throughout the year. Satellite doesn't have those issues for me, and don't get me started about all the freeview retunes I seem to be constantly doing! >:( Something that freesat does automatically for me.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Twaddle, you can mount a dish in most places at or near ground level (mine is invisible from the street as it's below fence height). Not so for Freeview for most locations you have to have them high up and totally visible.

Where I am satellite is a much more reliable source (no problems with high pressure interference from other transmitters).
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,421
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    People who want more channels and a solid, reliable signal.

My Com7 reception on freeview is flakey to say the least, but I only want it for BBC4-HD anyway. The rest of Com7 is pretty pointless tbh and I can easily do without it.

Would I take CH4+1 HD and 4Seven HD on satellite? Sure, but it's not the be all and end all, especially when flicking between the new CH4 HD offerings I found both were just showing repeats of 'Come Dine with Me' anyway. :o
    A dish is a functional item, in the same way that a Yagi for DTT is. Which is the most unsightly is a matter of individual perception, as well as being trivial.

And rather too many of us still cannot get worthwhile DTT reception, despite DSO, so Freesat does very nicely indeed, thankyou.

Oh, and the other unsightly dishes many of us have pull in HD Channels from across Europe and beyond. How good is that?!

I agree with the above. Overall, Freesat offers a wider choice of TV channels and radio stations, it reaches areas where there is no, poor or Freeview Lite-only reception and the standard definition channels are generally clearer than their Freeview counterparts.

I have both Freesat and full Freeview and if I had to choose between them, I'd go with Freesat every time.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,603
    Forum Member
    Yes, buy im talking about 97% of people who can get a decent Freeview HD signal, & already have that aerial. Are they now when buying a new set going to buy a Freesat TV & have a dish installed at a cost of several hundred pounds? Not many I'll bet.

Make that 70% for those wanting COM7 and 8. All those "extra HD services" you mention consist of these two new C4 services + Al Jazeera HD, on and also Community Channel HD which is actually an upscaled 24/7 SD service so a complete waste of time and bandwidth.

I have every faith that these new services will arrive on Freesat, just hope that C4 don't go running to Sky first like all the other commercial PSB's as it's their fault and not Freesat's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yea right in your world, not mine.
    Using freeview with a regular aerial or indoor portable, we only get the primary channels. We don't get stuff like itv3/itv4, sky news, quest, Dave, yesterday. To get all the freeview chs we need to use a distant mast blocked in part by hills, and this requires a massive high gain aerial like the triax 52, or televes dat75, with amp, on a massive high pole. If you want multiple TV points with it, the price is often as high as £300, and the signal may still be unreliable on certain chs, and you may suffer ch scan issues where the massive aerial needed also picks up multiple stray duplicates etc from other regions. Also happens to be a windy area so much higher risk of wind damage with this mega structure on the roof. I have personal experience and the experience of many friends and family who will testify to all these points inc the common quote of £300.

Visually, which would u prefer, a sky mini dish over the back of the house not even visible from the road or a massive high gain aerial flapping around in the wind on top a high pole easily seen from the road. Now imagine your choice repeated along the whole street. In my book the mini dish wins hands down.

A sky mini dish sits low down on the house but provides perfect reception with zero stutters etc and with sky or freesat (using multiple humax as freesat examples) providing perfect fault free auto tuning - I don't touch anything, the chs just appear by magic. U can't even see our dish, it's round the back of the house - most people think we don't even have a dish! And being low down, very little wind loading. The service provide is universal, we get the same ch line up as all other freesat users in the uk, location makes no difference. The sd pics are marginally better than sd on freeview, but that's like comparing bad to very bad - sd quality though variable depending on source material and channel has largely gone down the plug hole. We want more hd channels ASAP, and on satellite as well.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

I do find is funny when people start throwing around the 'I pay the licence fee' argument!
    And then have the cheek to say no one should have it until all can........!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If in the future with all new hd equipment mandated to have card slot as standard (in an ideal world but unlikely to happen) with pay TV replacing the license fee, with the channel subscription management to a degree of changing individual channels in and out, one could opt out of paying for the channels that were not available where u live.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I do find is funny when people start throwing around the 'I pay the licence fee' argument!
    And then have the cheek to say no one should have it until all can........!!

Why? ... ... ... ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? ... ... ... ...

Because its selfish for one.
    And petty to use the LF card when its nothing to do with the BBC in the first place!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because its selfish for one.
    And petty to use the LF card when its nothing to do with the BBC in the first place!

Could you, perhaps, address some of the other facts given by several Posters in relation to your earlier Post #34 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could you, perhaps, address some of the other facts given by several Posters in relation to your earlier Post #34 ?

Post #34 isn't mine.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post #34 isn't mine.....

Good point.
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before people get too unhappy, it should be remembered that the Freeview mux broadcasting these channels, and indeed BBC3/4/CBBC/CBeebies HD, are temporary muxes that are unlikely to survive once the government sells of the capacity for 5G mobile use.
    In fact, after 2022, even more DTT channels are likely to dissaperar.
    At least with Freesat HD the channels we have got are there for "the long haul",