Options

Telling your partner they're getting too large

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by that last bit

I mean that some people might try to change their appearance to impress a partner.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I mean that some people might try to change their appearance to impress a partner.

Then those people are silly IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then those people are silly IMO

And yet, when people go out to attract someone, they often try to look their best, by wearing make up, dressing in a certain way, etc. If you're trying to attract a mate, you don't go out unwashed and wearing your dressing gown and expect to be judged on your inner character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    No, but being a stone overweight is never going to improve matters.

Many married women who get fat seem to adopt the tactic of stuffing as much food down their partner as possible to make him less attractive to anyone else.
    I think you are confusing 'men' with 'Perigord geese'. A man old enough to marry is surely old enough to eat what he chooses. I have never actually seen a woman forcing food down her husband's throat with a funnel.
    If your partner gains 30 stone, it's not beautiful, no matter how much you love them, surely?
    It sounds rather pathological. It's like saying 'if your partner is burnt in a fire, it's not beautiful'. How many people do you know who have gained 30 stone?

The issue is with people who have gained 3 or 4 stone.
    There's a difference between loving your partner and being sexually attracted to them and the two aren't mutually inclusive. Some people seem to be suggesting that if you love someone it shouldn't make any difference what they look like. It may be like that for some people but doesn't work that way for me. If your partner's appearance changes drastically then of course that can affect how attracted to them you are.

My partner's put on so much weight in the time we've been together and it's gotten to the stage where I'm just far less attracted to him than I was although I love him deeply. I've asked him to lose weight for the sake of his health but he seems unwilling/unable to lose weight and he's now obese to the stage where he's going to start suffering health problems at some stage. I don't really know where we can go from here.

Roll on the 'you're so shallow'/'your partner deserves better than you' comments.

It's difficult to comment on someone else's marriage without sounding unbearably patronising. But - excuse me if this is out of order - the issue seems to be with your husband's refusal to communicate properly, not with his shape per se. There are various things he could say or do that might be more attractive than the nothing he seems to be doing. Refusing to listen to your wife's justified concerns IS unattractive; I am sure you would find him more attractive if he listened, took on board that your fears are reasonable, and started a realistic plan to address them; hopefully the attractiveness would start before the flat stomach, as valiant attempts are appealing even if not wildly successful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet, when people go out to attract someone, they often try to look their best, by wearing make up, dressing in a certain way, etc. If you're trying to attract a mate, you don't go out unwashed and wearing your dressing gown and expect to be judged on your inner character.

I just think people changing themselves to attract or keep a partner is silly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds rather pathological. It's like saying 'if your partner is burnt in a fire, it's not beautiful'. How many people do you know who have gained 30 stone?

The issue is with people who have gained 3 or 4 stone.

Yes, my comment only really works in the context of the post to which I replied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? Everyone who wears make up or dresses up or puts on aftershave to attract someone - just silly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? Everyone who wears make up or dresses up or puts on aftershave to attract someone - just silly?

If that isn't how they usually are then yes

For instance I'm a bit of a rock chick, I wear leggings, rock T, boots no make up etc if I single and I suddenly started dressing like a girly girl in dresses and heels, wearing make up, fake lashes and hair extensions just to attract a partner that would be silly because it's not the real me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that isn't how they usually are then yes

For instance I'm a bit of a rock chick, I wear leggings, rock T, boots no make up etc if I single and I suddenly started dressing like a girly girl in dresses and heels, wearing make up, fake lashes and hair extensions just to attract a partner that would be silly because it's not the real me

I understand. I think quite a lot of people make an effort to attract a partner, though, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I understand. I think quite a lot of people make an effort to attract a partner, though, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

There's a difference between making an effort and changing who you are/what you wear though

I was talking about the latter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between making an effort and changing who you are/what you wear though

I was talking about the latter

Right, got you. Good point, well made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right, got you. Good point, well made.

Thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you

I got there in the end (a bit slow sometimes). :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got there in the end (a bit slow sometimes). :)

I should have explained better :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have explained better :blush:

No, thank you for persevering. :cool:
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    It's difficult to comment on someone else's marriage without sounding unbearably patronising. But - excuse me if this is out of order - the issue seems to be with your husband's refusal to communicate properly, not with his shape per se. There are various things he could say or do that might be more attractive than the nothing he seems to be doing. Refusing to listen to your wife's justified concerns IS unattractive; I am sure you would find him more attractive if he listened, took on board that your fears are reasonable, and started a realistic plan to address them; hopefully the attractiveness would start before the flat stomach, as valiant attempts are appealing even if not wildly successful.

Not out of order at all wonkeydonkey, thanks for your input. You make a really good point actually - I find the apathy and the not doing anything about it at all so frustrating I could cry. I feel like I'm beginning to nag and thats making me feel really frustrated with myself on top of everything else. It's actually becoming the elephant in the room, it's becoming a huge issue and I just don't know what to do anymore. If I ignore it, nothing happens. If I talk about it, nothing happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not out of order at all wonkeydonkey, thanks for your input. You make a really good point actually - I find the apathy and the not doing anything about it at all so frustrating I could cry. I feel like I'm beginning to nag and thats making me feel really frustrated with myself on top of everything else. It's actually becoming the elephant in the room, it's becoming a huge issue and I just don't know what to do anymore. If I ignore it, nothing happens. If I talk about it, nothing happens.

Does he actually want to lose weight?
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Does he actually want to lose weight?

Yeah - he's said he hates being so fat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    The girl looks great now. Ive been overweight more than once in my life and I didnt need anyone to tell me, I knew. I would think sometimes a comment from someone else might spur someone into action. Of course people have to lose weight first and foremost for themselves, but it depends on the delivery, if its said with tact, its not the same as someone being rude about it.

Its all very well saying that your partner should love you for who you are, but if someone gains 4 or 5 stones, they change, they probably won't feel as good about themselves and that will probably affect their mood as well

I bet shes a hell of a lot happier in herself losing the weight shes lost.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your not changing who you are as a person, just want to look attractive.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    teardrop77 wrote: »
    The girl looks great now. Ive been overweight more than once in my life and I didnt need anyone to tell me, I knew. I would think sometimes a comment from someone else might spur someone into action. Of course people have to lose weight first and foremost for themselves, but it depends on the delivery, if its said with tact, its not the same as someone being rude about it.

Its all very well saying that your partner should love you for who you are, but if someone gains 4 or 5 stones, they change, they probably won't feel as good about themselves and that will probably affect their mood as well

I bet shes a hell of a lot happier in herself losing the weight shes lost.

I bet she is. I gained weight on steroids and was miserable, I couldn't wait to shift it. But that was because I wasn't happy...my skin was sore, my thighs rubbed, deodorant didn't work. Not because my husband wasn't happy. He never once mentioned it.

He bought her a bedroom shoot as a reward...the whole tone of what he says is it's all about how she looks makes him feel and cause he's not happy he passed that on to her. I'd've told him to go **** himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member

My look is part of who I am
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet all the women who are outraged at this would be the first to tell their boyfriends/husbands they are getting too fat.

There are too much double standards when it comes to gender and weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scofield wrote: »
    I bet all the women who are outraged at this would be the first to tell their boyfriends/husbands they are getting too fat.

There are too much double standards when it comes to gender and weight.

I wouldn't

As I said earlier his weight is nothing to do with me just as mine is nothing to do with him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member

People's looks evolve as well. I dont dress in the same way as I did at 25 or even 35 and Id dress differently going to a gig than I would to a wedding obviously.