Options

Telling your partner they're getting too large

Comments

• Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH and I have a little joke about our weight,.
    He says he would dump me if I put on weight.
    I say it is a good job I am not as shallow as him as he would have been gone a long time ago ;-)

I encourage my OH to lose weight as I want him to be healthy.
    I have tried to encourage him in lots of ways, but he seems a lost cause.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My look is part of who I am

Your looks determine your personality? Seems a bit shallow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    scofield wrote: »
    I bet all the women who are outraged at this would be the first to tell their boyfriends/husbands they are getting too fat.

There are too much double standards when it comes to gender and weight.

I dont think its ever been an issue with anyone Ive dated, but I remember one ex bf who gave me a very hard time about my weight when I was about 9 stones, I saw him years later in a pub in town and he had put on a lot of weight, he was probably around 20 stones, having been about 12 when we were dating.

Hes lost the weight, Ive seen him in the passing since. Having had weight issues myself, Im probably quite sensitive to other peoples feelings, but I do know people in my social circle who are big and when I say big I mean morbidly obese, very much so and the impression they give is that they are happy and their extra weight doesnt bother them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't

As I said earlier his weight is nothing to do with me just as mine is nothing to do with him

However, you are trying to lose weight at the moment and your OH is supporting you in this, even cooking your meals for you.

If your OH is slim which I believe he is then you have never been in the position where someone has gained several stones.

You might feel differently if he did. The same way that he might have a preference in the way you look.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    teardrop77 wrote: »
    However, you are trying to lose weight at the moment and your OH is supporting you in this, even cooking your meals for you.

If your OH is slim which I believe he is then you have never been in the position where someone has gained several stones.

You might feel differently if he did. The same way that he might have a preference in the way you look.

What if it wasn't weight but disfigured or maimed in a terrorist attack? Basing love on looks would seem a bit shallow then. Weight seems to be the one thing that's acceptable to judge people by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    What if it wasn't weight but disfigured or maimed in a terrorist attack? Basing love on looks would seem a bit shallow then. Weight seems to be the one thing that's acceptable to judge people by.

One is preventable, one isn't.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think as someone already said on here that 'love' and 'sexual attraction' are not the same.
    It can appear as terribly shallow I know.

My OH was 2 stone heavier than he is now when I married him, I loved him and fancied him then.
    He lost the weight when got together gradually over the first two years, but for health reasons and for how he looks I think he should lose more now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

To be honest, given that as I said Ive had weight issues for a long time and been judged on it by people and Im talking way back, even when I was 9 stones I still had people refer to me as fat, because Im pear shaped, the subject is something I would tread carefully with, because I know some people are really sensitive.

It can go both ways, I know people who are slim and get nothing but stick because they dont put weight on easily.

As for being disfigured, some couples would get through that and have as strong a relationship as before, others wouldn't, very much depend on the people involved.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Your looks determine your personality? Seems a bit shallow.

Lol, that coming from you is funny

But no it doesn't, how I dress is part of who I am, my personality is very tom boyish

He's been up and down in weight

I didn't feel differently
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But no it doesn't, how I dress is part of who I am, my personality is very tom boyish

Why is that funny coming from me?
  • Options
    Forum Member

How much weight? Several stones?

The thing is, just because you didnt feel differently, doesnt mean that someone else wouldnt or that if you had another partner, they might feel stronger about you putting weight on than he does.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One is preventable, one isn't.

Is it? Mine's wasn't. I was put on medication and two months later was almost three stones heavier, no change in diet. It's listed as a side effect of the medication.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, most people still see obesity as self-inflicted and a mere case of laziness, greed, and lack of willpower. Now before anyone jumps all over me, all I'm saying is more and more evidence is coming to light that it's not so simple. There are other things going on: genetics, hormones, conditioning, etc. For those who have never been overweight, it's probably not easy for them to consider other possibilities outside the realm of 'eat less move more'. For those who have been overweight and lost it, that's fantastic, but everyone's different and what worked for you may not work for someone else.

I think it's important to provide support for those who want to lose weight, and possibly be less judgmental. Finding out why someone is overeating is just as important as nutritional advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member

My style of dressing isn't girlie. But there are times when casual clothes aren't appropriate and then I'll make more of an effort than day to day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How much weight? Several stones?

The thing is, just because you didnt feel differently, doesnt mean that someone else wouldnt or that if you had another partner, they might feel stronger about you putting weight on than he does.

Define several stone

People can feel the way they want I'm not disputing that, if I had another partner who had a problem with my weight then that's his problem and he's out the door
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My style of dressing isn't girlie. But there are times when casual clothes aren't appropriate and then I'll make more of an effort than day to day.

I would never dress girly no matter the occasion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Define several stone

People can feel the way they want I'm not disputing that, if I had another partner who had a problem with my weight then that's his problem and he's out the door

It's you who needs to clarify, when you said his weight has been up and down, you havent said by how much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? Mine's wasn't. I was put on medication and two months later was almost three stones heavier, no change in diet. It's listed as a side effect of the medication.

For most people yes it is preventable, wouldn't you agree?

Medication can change your metabolism yes, but you adjust your diet accordingly. I have taken anti-depressants before and also steroids for my colitis, both can make you gain weight, however I changed my diet and did more cardio to help prevent weight gain. Anyhow even if you have short term weight gain, long term you can lose it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would never dress girly no matter the occasion

But you might dress occasion appropriate yes?

Weddings, funerals etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's you who needs to clarify, when you said his weight has been up and down, you havent said by how much

Four and a half stone between his lightest and his heaviest
    But you might dress occasion appropriate yes?

Weddings, funerals etc

Oh yes but it would be in my style
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People have the right to be happy at whatever size they are. Im sure some people are overweight and don't give a hoot about being so. Others will be miserable.

When I lost weight last year (and this) I lost it for me, I dont have a partner so I didnt have someone nagging me (or not as the case may be) to lose it.

But I had to have the motivation to get the weight off. I dont know how I would have felt if someone had said to me, you need to lose weight, but I would hardly have been in the position to turn around and say no I dont, because I did.

And from comments in the article, it seems like the woman in this story was miserable and depressed because she was overweight, she was ready to lose it.

Its a tough call, because some husbands and wives will be very concerned about a spouse needing to lose weight, for their healths sake if nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is that funny coming from me?

Saying I seem a bit shallow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying I seem a bit shallow

Equating looks to personality does seem a little shallow to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Equating looks to personality does seem a little shallow to me.

I didn't to that, they are different things

My personality is tomboyish, my looks reflect that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't to that, they are different things

My personality is tomboyish, my looks reflect that

What is tomboyish? You act and dress like a man?