Options

One Born Every Minute - Use of Imperial measurements

Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
Forum Member
My wife and I watch One Born Every Minute each week and I am starting to get seriously fed up with the programmes use of Imperial Measurements for baby weights.

I don't get why they do it? The NHS routinely uses the Metric system for Babies weights and this means that OBEM are converting the weights themselves to put it in the horrible Imperial system.

I have complained to Channel 4 about this on numerous occasions asking them to at least show the weights in both metric and imperial, however I am continually ignored.

I really get fed up with people clinging to the Imperial system, it is illogical, backwards and very inaccurate. Metric allows for accuracy and is in simple and easy to use units. I think that Channel 4s use of Imperial is encouraging people to stick with this system and anyway is it nor now illegal to provide measurements in only imperial?

Comments

• Options
    OmlOml Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Lol! I don't really know the ins and outs of imperial (always used metric at school) but I do use imperial for height and weight (although I do use metric as well for weight)

I totally agree about using metric from a scientific point of view. And I always use metric in weights and measures for food etc but there is something I like about using imperial for heights and weights. For some reason it's feels easier to visualise. For example it's easier to understand the difference when people describe a 5ft or a 6ft person, metres is harder to picture. I feel the same about baby weights, you can sort of imagine what a 5, 6 or 7lb baby would look like but in kgs I wouldn't have a clue without converting it to pounds.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    My wife and I watch One Born Every Minute each week and I am starting to get seriously fed up with the programmes use of Imperial Measurements for baby weights.

I don't get why they do it? The NHS routinely uses the Metric system for Babies weights and this means that OBEM are converting the weights themselves to put it in the horrible Imperial system.

I have complained to Channel 4 about this on numerous occasions asking them to at least show the weights in both metric and imperial, however I am continually ignored.

I really get fed up with people clinging to the Imperial system, it is illogical, backwards and very inaccurate. Metric allows for accuracy and is in simple and easy to use units. I think that Channel 4s use of Imperial is encouraging people to stick with this system and anyway is it nor now illegal to provide measurements in only imperial?

Nothing wrong with imperial where necessary, as surely in baby weights it is, I've never heard anyone describe a babies weight in metric terms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with imperial where necessary, as surely in baby weights it is, I've never heard anyone describe a babies weight in metric terms.

NHS use Metric, just people demand they convert as there seems to be some perverse attachment to Imperial in the UK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NHS use Metric, just people demand they convert as there seems to be some perverse attachment to Imperial in the UK

Nothing perverse about it, imperial and metric live happily side by side, will you be complaining to the government about the use of imperial distance and speed signs on roads?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    Nothing perverse about it, imperial and metric live happily side by side, will you be complaining to the government about the use of imperial distance and speed signs on roads?

Yep, I am a supporter of the UKMA, and believe we should be using kilometres for distance and speed
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for some reason asking for 0.568 litres of milk from my milkman doesn't have the same ring to it, I much prefer imperial and don't see why we should have metric forced upon us by e.u bureaucrats
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I am a supporter of the UKMA, and believe we should be using kilometres for distance and speed

Can't see it ever happening, certainly not in my, or your lifetime, have you never been in France or Spain or Holland for example? They'll happily sell you a pint of beer
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member

Nearly everyone in the UK will use pounds and ounces for a baby weight. If you told people your baby weighed 3.2kg they'd look at you like you were nuts.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's a cultural thing IMO. People still prefer pounds and ounces for baby weight and that won't change in the foreseeable future. Some imperial measurements will always be used. People still go into pubs and ask for pints and give their height in feet and inches.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see the point of the show i.e. the strength and fragility of human relationships, the joy and pain of childbirth and the awe inspiring incredible act of bringing a new life into the world is TOTALLY LOST on the OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Glad to see the point of the show i.e. the strength and fragility of human relationships, the joy and pain of childbirth and the awe inspiring incredible act of bringing a new life into the world is TOTALLY LOST on the OP.

I bet Channel 4 are enthralled each time they receive a complaint from the OP.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    for some reason asking for 0.568 litres of milk from my milkman doesn't have the same ring to it, I much prefer imperial and don't see why we should have metric forced upon us by e.u bureaucrats
    Or by some single-issue pressure group. ;)
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really matter? I mean, I just cannot imagine being wound up about this. As a country weve ended up in a fuzzy middle-way of using imperial for some things and metric for others. I don't really understand why that's an issue at all.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I went to America the taxi driver I was with was shocked we used miles for measuring speed and distance!

I prefer having both, imperial for heights and weight, speed and distance, but metric for most other things.

I was taught both at school (I'm 27, so not that old!). I do hate doing the conversions though, and don't get me started about the American food measuring system of 'cup' a cup to me is something you drink out of, they're all different sizes!!
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    When I went to America the taxi driver I was with was shocked we used miles for measuring speed and distance!

I prefer having both, imperial for heights and weight, speed and distance, but metric for most other things.

I was taught both at school (I'm 27, so not that old!). I do hate doing the conversions though, and don't get me started about the American food measuring system of 'cup' a cup to me is something you drink out of, they're all different sizes!!

I assume every American kitchen come with an official "CUP" so everyone knows what it is! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    I assume every American kitchen come with an official "CUP" so everyone knows what it is! :D

It is a defined amount, not just a random cup of something. I've got a set of 'cups' at home.
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no metric equivalent for that most useful of all imperial measures, the foot. It is common for television and film studios to be measured in "metric feet", which in this case is thirty centimetres. All air traffic control heights throughout the world are in thousands of feet, i.e. flight level 250 is 25,000 feet. It always amuses me that, in the fifties and sixties, when continental railways were being upgraded and electrified the standard maximum speed was set at 160 km/hr, the nearest metric equivalent to 100mph, rather than a round metric figure like 150 km/hr. Then there is the old Italian motor race the Mille Miglia and French markets selling things in livres etc.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The USA is now the only one of 3 countries in the world to only use Imperial. The UK is stuck in the middle using half and half (or should that be .5 and .5 ??). But we need to remember that the USA imperial measures are not the same as the UK - e.g. their 6 pint gallon compared without 8 pint etc.

Personally, I've never heard of a baby's weight being given in metric (in the UK) - always pounds and ounces - it's a British tradition!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me when the t.v news give the distance in kilometres, we still use miles in this country.>:(
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll tell you what annoys me - when a report mixes metric and imperial measurements and when its very hot and suddenly Fahrenheit is back in fashion!
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    But we need to remember that the USA imperial measures are not the same as the UK - e.g. their 6 pint gallon compared with our 8 pint etc.
    Actually, US gallons are also 8 pints. It's just that a US pint is 16 fl oz as opposed to the Imperial pint which is 20 fl oz.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I'll tell you what annoys me - when a report mixes metric and imperial measurements and when its very hot and suddenly Fahrenheit is back in fashion!

That's because 82 degrees Fahrenheit sounds much hotter than 28 degrees Celcius (it's a bigger number, so it must be hotter ..... )
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »

I believe a "cup" is eight ounces.

I still get the odd customer at my work asking for "ounce of Golden Virginia please" (other rolling tobaccos are available) and I know to give them the 25g pack, but some of my colleagues have no idea how much they want.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm of the generation that started with imperial but adopted metric so am fluent in both and don't get my pants in a bunch over which one to use.
  • Options
    wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no metric equivalent for that most useful of all imperial measures, the foot. It is common for television and film studios to be measured in "metric feet", which in this case is thirty centimetres. All air traffic control heights throughout the world are in thousands of feet, i.e. flight level 250 is 25,000 feet. It always amuses me that, in the fifties and sixties, when continental railways were being upgraded and electrified the standard maximum speed was set at 160 km/hr, the nearest metric equivalent to 100mph, rather than a round metric figure like 150 km/hr. Then there is the old Italian motor race the Mille Miglia and French markets selling things in livres etc.

It's true, there is no metric equivalent to the imperial foot, but there doesn't need to be.

If television and film studios are measured in metric feet, then they are measured in millimetres, or possibly metres and millimetres.

No .. Not all air traffic control heights throughout the world are measured in thousands of feet. China and Russia are exceptions they use metres.
    And most measurements in aviation are measured in metric.
    Aircraft weight, fuel weight, runway length, air temperature, air pressure, are all measured in metric. The only exceptions are aircraft height (feet), visibility ( mile and sometimes nautical mile) and most times wind speed (knots).

Metrication doesn't change old traditional names like Mille Miglia and the Livre is 500 g.