Options

London buses are officially cash free today

Comments

• Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about people who generally don't use public transport but need to on occasion? Are they meant to have a card topped up for something they don't use for some infrequent journeys? Crazy idea. Really hope it doesn't roll out across the rest of the country.

Totally agree. I just want to get on a bus ang go, not arse about putting no ey in a pot for infrequent journies. Really shot idea
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    Infrastructure

Am so sorry, was multi tasking and forgot to spell check my post.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    The idea of not taking cash was introduced to speed up the buses, from my experience, buses are slower due to passengers taking their own sweet time getting on and off buses, ringing the bell for the next stop when they don't want it, not having their Oysters or freedom passes ready when getting on the bus, and visitor's getting on buses just to ask for directions or inane questions (despite all bus stops giving very good info on where the bus is going, and most having extensive maps)

The main reason why buses are slower is due to traffic congestion, namely cars. However, having a cashless system eliminates the driver needing a float of cash, which can be a problem if everybody want to pay with notes.

Oysters and travel cards are easy enough to buy in London.

I have an Oyster card for emergencies and I don't even live in an Oyster zone.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    Bit confused about Londoners' difficulties with topping up their Oystercard. Is there some reason they can't set auto top-up?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Any tourist can buy a travel card or Oyster card without difficulty.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't roll out across other bus networks in the next year or so.

IMO a great idea.

It's already started.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/connect/
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point in robbing bus drivers any more
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Bit confused about Londoners' difficulties with topping up their Oystercard? Is there some reason they can't set auto top-up?

This thread is about those who don't take the bus that often being made to add to the mound of plastic they already have
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to go to Grays from Lakeside last week and I must admit it was a lot slower as people paid their fare with money but I still think you should have the choice though. As I said elsewhere, a lot of times I have been on the bus and even though people have paid on their Oyster, the card sometimes does not read this on the reader or the chip inside can be corrupt which makes it not work properly. How many people are going to be stranded at goodness knows where unable to get home because they can't pay by cash?
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to go to Grays from Lakeside last week and I must admit it was a lot slower as people paid their fare with money but I still think you should have the choice though. As I said elsewhere, a lot of times I have been on the bus and even though people have paid on their Oyster, the card sometimes does not read this on the reader or the chip inside can be corrupt which makes it not work properly. How many people are going to be stranded at goodness knows where unable to get home because they can't pay by cash?

Get a taxi? Use their debit/credit card?
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Bit confused about Londoners' difficulties with topping up their Oystercard. Is there some reason they can't set auto top-up?

You can't set up auto top up if you only use buses. You have to make a chargeable journey from a specific station in order to set it up.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There would be blood on the streets if Ensign went cashless :). I travel to and from Grays via Lakeside most days and see so many people without the right fare or who want to pay with a note or who just want a bit of a chat and they all hold up the bus.

And, invariably, they're also the ones who complain the loudest when the bus is late.

Most buses have contactless terminals now anyway - even Ensign - so implementing a contactless system nationwide really wouldn't be a massive undertaking. If they integrate the card top-ups with the paypoint payment system then there would be very few reasons why a person couldn't top a card up.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    At some bus stops you can

Not anymore.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When everyone gets onto a bus in quick fashion until the person who pays with cash (and preventing others from getting on), it's easy to see the benefit of removing cash on buses. The overwhelming majority of people now use Oyster cards, it shouldn't be difficult for the remainder to move over and hopefully it won't be too problematic for organised tourists.
  • Options
    blgsmrssblgsmrss Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Get a taxi? Use their debit/credit card?

Not everyone has a contactless debit card - I don't.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will all end in tears I'm sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There may be an issue with using contactless debit cards, taken from a London bus forum:

"looking at the terms and conditions on my card it says you may still have to use the pin occasionally, how does that work on a bus?"
    Someone (sorry cant remember the name) explained this to me on this forum. Some or most contactless cards there is a limit to how much contactless paying you do either a certain amount or a certain amount of touches, you might want to find out from your bank as once the limit is reached you will have to verify your pin when paying (this stops someone stealing your card and having a shopping spree) I've had it on my bus where the contactless card does not work and that is because the user has to pay for something at a shop and use there pin to enable the contactless again.

http://www.tangytango.*********.com/thread/8394/using-contactless-on-buses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    This will all end in tears I'm sure.

Lol. Talk about amatuer dramtics.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    What was the minimum fare when they used cash?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    What was the minimum fare when they used cash?

There is only 1 fare. It was £2.40 cash and £1.45 Oyster.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    The overwhelming majority of people now use Oyster cards,
    99% actually. See tfl http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2014/july/london-s-buses-go-cash-free-from-this-sunday
    it shouldn't be difficult for the remainder to move over and hopefully it won't be too problematic for organised tourists.

Here is the list of contact less cards they can use without getting oyster
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-is-contactless?intcmp=8610
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    There is only 1 fare. It was £2.40 cash and £1.45 Oyster.

One fare allowed you to go to any zone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    One fare allowed you to go to any zone?

Yes. 1 Stop or 100 stops. It doesn't matter. Anyone who paid £2.40 cash was completely mad.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Already seen two people turned away by a bus driver for not having an Oyster or any other form of payment other than cash.

Did feel sorry for the driver as he had to explain to the occasion user that money may be legal tender, but not on a bus.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Already seen two people turned away by a bus driver for not having an Oyster or any other form of payment other than cash.

Did feel sorry for the driver as he had to explain to the occasion user that money may be legal tender, but not on a bus.

Not surprised really. Despite the publicity, you'll almost invariably get a few people who won't have a clue what's going on. Bus passengers in general tend to have their collective heads in the clouds most of the time :)
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you pay with your phone assuming it's got nfc?