Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,596
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Dan Ackroyd - Dragnet :D

Someone got one of my references, I feel strangely proud :)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the facts Ma'am :p:)

Yeah, the fact is you shouldn't trust the ATP press release as being up to date. :p

Rafa has met the cut-off point, and did so before Novak. The person who claimed Rafa had qualified was correct. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not Andys drop which surprised me. It was Marias.

Fair enough. I've got to admit, I struggle more with the women's ranking than the men's. Partly because there are more tools to help you understand the current situation, and where each active player's points come from. It's all very easy to find on the ATP website. I also like that ATP tournament levels are described according to how many points are available.

A lot of people do seem to be confused by Andy's drop, or simply put it down to one bad tournament. I read someone on twitter claim it's madness that he's behind Ferrer and Raonic, when they've never won a slam. It's a strange mix of people thinking ranking should reflect your overall career, and people who think it's about recent form. :confused:

Delpo is defending 500 points in Washington, so he'll drop behind Murray when those points come off, and will start to slide fairly fast with every further tournament missed. It will be interesting to see where he is by the time he returns. But he's fought his way back once before, so I'm sure he'll do it again.
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I didn't see either (out of my control), so I'm wary of saying too much, but I agree. It's easy to under-estimate the value of having 'been there, done that'. My sympathy is slightly limited, as Genie's projects quite a hard image, deliberately. I admire that, and she has a lot of justified hype, but a lot of hype based on her looks and youth. I think Saturday's loss will ground her a bit, and be good for her in the long-term.

I had to follow the men's final on social media, which was obviously a bit more unpredictable! It sounds like it was a great match, but I was reading a lot of complaints that the crowd were far too one-sided, included a lot of the royal box. I think everyone, including Novak, understood a biased crowd last year, and how much the Brits and a great many neutrals wanted a British winner after all those years.

The vibe I got was that this year it was plain rude to the point of being a bit awkward.
    Not so much the cheering for Roger, but the muted response to brilliant rallies won by Novak. Roger winning again would have been amazing, but he has won an awful lot, and Novak needed the win more. For him to lose another final would have been devastating.

I'm not brave enough to read back, so hopefully that was an exaggeration.

Have to say I didn't notice this at all. He's never going to get as much support as Fed but I thought the crowd were ok yesterday. I've certainly seen him play with a lot less support. As seansnotmyname said, he's gaining support albeit slowly - as witnessed at the FO presentation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    It's taken me a while to digest yesterday's result because after such a terrific fightback from Roger it all seemed to be over very quickly in the end. I've gone through all kinds of emotions and was at one time blaming Novak for gamesmanship with his injury breaks. But now the dust has settled I have to admit that overall Novak played slightly better than Roger and deserved his victory - so well done Novak! It was close though, wasn't it. And I'm proud to be a Roger fan right now. Not a bad performance from an "old man". I don't think he's planning to retire any time soon, and I for one hope he's not. There will be a huge gap in the tennis world for me when he does.

Unfortunately I had unexpected visitors turn up hallway though set 4, so was only able to watch with one eye on the TV and not really appreciating what was happening. Had to catch up on that set later thus losing the momentum of the match - something the BBC expect you to do all the time when they suddenly decide to switch matches!

Anyway, bravo to both Novak and Roger for providing us with a truly thrilling match - the kind you don't get to see that often.
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    It's taken me a while to digest yesterday's result because after such a terrific fightback from Roger it all seemed to be over very quickly in the end. I've gone through all kinds of emotions and was at one time blaming Novak for gamesmanship with his injury breaks. But now the dust has settled I have to admit that overall Novak played slightly better than Roger and deserved his victory - so well done Novak! It was close though, wasn't it. And I'm proud to be a Roger fan right now. Not a bad performance from an "old man". I don't think he's planning to retire any time soon, and I for one hope he's not. There will be a huge gap in the tennis world for me when he does.

Unfortunately I had unexpected visitors turn up hallway though set 4, so was only able to watch with one eye on the TV and not really appreciating what was happening. Had to catch up on that set later thus losing the momentum of the match - something the BBC expect you to do all the time when they suddenly decide to switch matches!

Anyway, bravo to both Novak and Roger for providing us with a truly thrilling match - the kind you don't get to see that often.

Oh no that must have been so annoying. Could you not pretend you were out? :D
    I know it's incredibly rude but I think would have had to be honest and say I simply couldn't miss it. I suppose it depends who it was though. But you don't turn up at a tennis fan's house in the middle of the Wimbledon final. It's like turning up in the middle of the World Cup final - you just don't do things like that. :D
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbf everyone seemed to be getting wins at Old Trafford last season, so it's hardly worth taking up the offer :p

Ouch!:o Confucius say "When the Orange god arrives the Reds will revive" ...or something like that...:D

Sure that pic is meant to be Saurez....;-)
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    I know it's incredibly rude but I think would have had to be honest and say I simply couldn't miss it. I suppose it depends who it was though. But you don't turn up at a tennis fan's house in the middle of the Wimbledon final. It's like turning up in the middle of the World Cup final - you just don't do things like that. :D

A then new friend invited me for lunch on the Sunday of the 2008 Wimbledon final. She was astonished and shocked that I politely declined citing the tennis....:blush: She now knows me well enough to not make that mistake again. Although she still calls Rafa, "Raf".:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    lyn2 wrote: »

Some people just do NOT understand though. I did keep one eye on the tennis which was rather unsatisfactory. Watching the match back afterwards when you know the result is just not the same :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D LOL That got a good laugh at Tally Towers.

I see I missed most of the annual debate about equal pay :) The women would have to play 5 setters for me to change my mind¬

:o NOOOOO. You lock all the doors, pretend you're not in.....anything. I once let a non tennis friend stay during the US Open. I still haven't recovered but it will never happen again ;)
    I feel your pain.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The moment Roger shed a single tear yesterday which they didn't show on camera :

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/heartbreaking-single-tear-federer-emotion-defeat-100609617.html
  • Options
    denver23denver23 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Players out on court in Bastad and Bad Gastein.

Not quite the same.

Maybe not - but I bet it is celebrity free. It is a part of Wimbledon I really dislike and I wish they would stop it. They won't but I wish they would. I don't mind former great tennis players being invited as they have contributed to the good of the sport but outside of that no. What the heck as Jack Nicklaus done for tennis? I know he was a top golfer in his day but what does he do for tennis. I know Sir Chris Hoy was a great cyclist but again what he does he do for tennis - or is he really that interested?
    I really doubt that 95% of these so called celebrities that are invited have any real interest in the sport let alone do anything for grass roots tennis. I don't mean to come across as bitter and I know that is just the way it is - but still.
    Has it ever occurred to Wimbledon to invite ordinary people who volunteer to give up their time for the good of their club and to to help the grass roots of the game across this country or in anyway help the sport? This a bit like what the FA do when they invite volunteers or give a supply of tickets to the FA Cup Final each year who help the grass roots of football. But then again these people don't really do it for any personal reward so even if they were invited they may not necessarily accept. But it would be an improvement than Ellie Goulding, Pippa Middleton and the like.
  • Options
    Janine999Janine999 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger's single tear tells us how much it meant. So sad for him.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,285
    Forum Member
    Some people just do NOT understand though. I did keep one eye on the tennis which was rather unsatisfactory. Watching the match back afterwards when you know the result is just not the same :(

You're too kind. I simply would have ignored the door, even if it was obvious someone was home. People really should phone first before descending on folks. :(
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression that ticketing for Wimbledon next year would be online. It's website is showing the usual postal ballot for next year.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denver23 wrote: »
    Maybe not - but I bet it is celebrity free. It is a part of Wimbledon I really dislike and I wish they would stop it. They won't but I wish they would. I don't mind former great tennis players being invited as they have contributed to the good of the sport but outside of that no. What the heck as Jack Nicklaus done for tennis? I know he was a top golfer in his day but what does he do for tennis. I know Sir Chris Hoy was a great cyclist but again what he does he do for tennis - or is he really that interested?
    I really doubt that 95% of these so called celebrities that are invited have any real interest in the sport let alone do anything for grass roots tennis. I don't mean to come across as bitter and I know that is just the way it is - but still.
    Has it ever occurred to Wimbledon to invite ordinary people who volunteer to give up their time for the good of their club and to to help the grass roots of the game across this country or in anyway help the sport? This a bit like what the FA do when they invite volunteers or give a supply of tickets to the FA Cup Final each year who help the grass roots of football. But then again these people don't really do it for any personal reward so even if they were invited they may not necessarily accept. But it would be an improvement than Ellie Goulding, Pippa Middleton and the like.

Spot on.

Put celebrities on there who ARE doing something for the game like Tony Hawkes whose Tennisforfree.com is providing FREE tennis for kids across the country on public park courts every Saturday morning.

Of course, to recognise Hawkes would show up the LTA and the AELTC who should be doing this.

While the tournament is without doubt the greatest in the game, the AELTC is the personification of elitism which bubbles underneath the surface of the sport in this country.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Spot on.

Put celebrities on there who ARE doing something for the game like Tony Hawkes whose Tennisforfree.com is providing FREE tennis for kids across the country on public park courts every Saturday morning.

Of course, to recognise Hawkes would show up the LTA and the AELTC who should be doing this.

While the tournament is without doubt the greatest in the game, the AELTC is the personification of elitism which bubbles underneath the surface of the sport in this country.

It's not bubbling under it's totally blatant. It makes my blood boil every year.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,293
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    You're too kind. I simply would have ignored the door, even if it was obvious someone was home. People really should phone first before descending on folks. :(

^This. I wouldn't dream of turning up at someone's house without arranging it first.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    [/B]
    It's not bubbling under it's totally blatant. It makes my blood boil every year.

Indeed, Smude.

But I think I had what I've seen and heard at / in tennis clubs in mind with the words 'bubbles underneath' an example of which is the number of times I heard at the David Lloyd Club the phrase, 'This club isn't what it used to be based on the type of people they let in now'.

After 14 years coaching the kids there, I probably knew more people from the huge membership there (in 1,000's) than anyone and I used to rack my brains as to who these awful people were.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    denver23 wrote: »

Agree.

It is great to see the great players (of tennis!) from the past in the box, though. Even the very recent past like Marion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I`ve no sympathy. After two weeks of competition that was a pitiful display. Not even fit to be called a "match" in any sense of the word.

Well it was 50% good but that was all on one side of the net.

Would be wrong to judge a tournament by one match. There were some wonderful ones over the fortnight. Just a bit crap when the final match is a dud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently Novak only qualified for WTF now, whoever mentioned before that Rafa had was wrong :p

However Rafa and Roger are on the verge of qualify, I'm guessing as soon as they win their next match.

The rest of the places seem wide open, I hope Andy regains some form and makes it. Shame he missed out last year after winning Wimbledon.

Andy's one of the 8 on the billboards (which are based on the current rankings). Would be a shame for the promoters if he stuffed up.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you're a Brit, last year's men's final was a bit of a damp squib - straights sets with Novak hardly making a challenge. It wasn't sets won to love but it was all one way traffic and no one complained about that being a boring match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was straight sets, and Andy was consistently better, but there were a few shifts in momentum with Djokovic being a break up etc. With Andy and Nole being the two best returners in the game, there were precious few easy service games. There was always the sense that a break could come at any time.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 46,067
    Forum Member
    The moment Roger shed a single tear yesterday which they didn't show on camera :

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/heartbreaking-single-tear-federer-emotion-defeat-100609617.html

Roger took his loss so well yesterday, thought he would have been more down than he appeared.

As he sat by the umpire's chair, he looked up and saw his two daughters sat on the ledge of the players box, both pointing out their Daddy on the court. He seemed to look up, see them and got a bit emotional, then pulled himself together for the trophy presentation.

That single tear is quite poignant :( ...... but as I've said before he has the perfect family and no Wimbledon title will ever get better than that. ;-)

Charlene and Myla ar so so cute.:kitty:
This discussion has been closed.